Why shouldn't we strike?

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Big bucks is going full time. This isn't anything new, about every part time employee has transitioned from low pay to top scale, but has to put in the time. You do know your $10.00 an hour figure is basically the new hire rate and not a 4 year guy right?

What's a part time loaders pay starting at 10 after 4 years?

So a drivers making 34 is really 54. I give it extra because I would assume a full time drivers benefits are a bit better.

If 54 is the real number for a driver then maybe no driver should ever want better or even request an 8 hour day.

I do understand what you are saying though... However I don't believe that's good enough reason to roll over and accept 11 per hour with horrible pay progression.
You can only work so many hours in your life

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I'm on vacation but I forgot to give Gumby a vacation.
image.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So a drivers making 34 is really 54. I give it extra because I would assume a full time drivers benefits are a bit better.

If 54 is the real number for a driver then maybe no driver should ever want better or even request an 8 hour day.

I do understand what you are saying though... However I don't believe that's good enough reason to roll over and accept 11 per hour with horrible pay progression.
The part time pay progression is a joke. I about got kicked out of a union meeting arguing about it before the last contract.

quamba 638

Really? The company makes more money every year and we barely get a raise to cover inflation. Why shouldn't we strike?
How much do you make for your raises to be under inflation? This years .80 raise will be 4% of my hourly rate and next years $1 will be about 5% increase of my PT hourly wage. I don't think a strike would be received well either. The bottom line is, the FT guys vote, the PT contract is the first to get tampered with. FT= career. PT (for the most part) = going to school, don't care about this place.. 2 years or less and they're gone.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If all employees had the same progression and top scale pay rate, I wonder what that pay rate would be? Somewhere in the $25.00 for top scale? Drivers are the highest paid hourly employees because they are the face of UPS. They have the most responsibility, work the most hours, and are under the most scrutiny. If part timers want to make the big bucks they have to accept the lower wages in their classification.
Whoever mentioned all employees having the same whatever it is you are talking about? Nice strawman, I never once mentioned that lol

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The implication of the thread was driver strike, or at least that was the assumption.

I started PT in 2006 for peanuts. $8.00/hr to break my back for 3.5 hrs a night. There's only two reasons that keeps a person there for that type of work. Health insurance and the expectation of eventually going driving. Took me 6 years until I got the call.

So my post was targeted at the idea of a driver strike. You are right that part timers deserve more for busting their balls at UPS. I wouldn't be surprised to hear part timers wanting to strike. I just don't see the organization happening to get there.
Why are you so driver-centric? LOL I agree with your post there, up until drivers strike? The OP does not mention drivers...Unless I am missing something?

The thread has nothing to do with drivers in particular.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

Have we ever thought about changing things up? I was thinking in order to help get the attention of the public we have a naked strike. Thoughts?

JL 0513

Why are you so driver-centric? LOL I agree with your post there, up until drivers strike? The OP does not mention drivers...Unless I am missing something?

The thread has nothing to do with drivers in particular.

When "UPS strike" is uttered, 100% of people will automatically think drivers. Just the way it is.