AlliSeeisBrown

Ya gotta get em to vote before worrying how they vote.
Ya gotta get em to join the union before worrying how to get em to vote.

This is just my POV. I was in the union as a driver. It had its benefits. As PT, I honestly don't see much of a point. Considering current wages, dues and initiation alone warrant a lot of disinterest from Pt'ers, at least here. Call me a scab, sure. But @ $10.20/hr, a $100 initiation + $18/week, I'm good. Also, a lot of other PT'ers feel the same, especially the newer ones. Also the PT stewards here are complete shi@t. Anyone can feel free to sway me the other way.

542thruNthru

Ya gotta get em to join the union before worrying how to get em to vote.

This is just my POV. I was in the union as a driver. It had its benefits. As PT, I honestly don't see much of a point. Considering current wages, dues and initiation alone warrant a lot of disinterest from Pt'ers, at least here. Call me a scab, sure. But @ $10.20/hr, a $100 initiation + $18/week, I'm good. Also, a lot of other PT'ers feel the same, especially the newer ones. Also the PT stewards here are complete shi@t. Anyone can feel free to sway me the other way.

I don't disagree that they should be paid more but at the same time you don't think that they should for the health benefits that they're getting. Is $28 a month for the first year really that bad for full benefits?

542thruNthru

Read my previous response. I'm not going to repeat myself.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Such an in-depth response. I never said the union was insulted. I'm just wondering what they think.

I am not trying to put words in your mouth. I asked you why you think the union would be upset your response (above) is you will not repeat yourself. I looked through all your posts and the only thing you seem to have a problem with is people will be insulted.

Now I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings for disagreeing with you but if YOU don't want to tell me why you think the union should care then why should THEY care?

AlliSeeisBrown

I don't disagree that they should be paid more but at the same time you don't think that they should for the health benefits that they're getting. Is $28 a month for the first year really that bad for full benefits?
When you put it in that perspective, not at all. I now pay $120/month for health and dental at my new primary, so this was partly a reason for coming back other than the paid exercise. But, you get the benefits regardless of you being enrolled or not. You still have to stay for a year to receive them and that's the problem. The wait can't be changed, but the pay can. I firmly believe with higher pay (no change to benefits), will help with retention, attract a better workforce and attract more PT'ers to join and strengthen the union.

G

Gronged

I am not trying to put words in your mouth. I asked you why you think the union would be upset your response (above) is you will not repeat yourself. I looked through all your posts and the only thing you seem to have a problem with is people will be insulted.

Now I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings for disagreeing with you but if YOU don't want to tell me why you think the union should care then why should THEY care?[/QUO

Now I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings for disagreeing with you but if YOU don't want to tell me why you think the union should care then why should THEY care?
"Sorry for hurting your feelings"? Laugh laugh. Don't flatter yourself. You're not that impressive. We'll see how the union intreprets a $4 wage increase in relation to the contract. Enough said!

542thruNthru

When you put it in that perspective, not at all. I now pay $120/month for health and dental at my new primary, so this was partly a reason for coming back other than the paid exercise. But, you get the benefits regardless of you being enrolled or not. You still have to stay for a year to receive them and that's the problem. The wait can't be changed, but the pay can. I firmly believe with higher pay (no change to benefits), will help with retention, attract a better workforce and attract more PT'ers to join and strengthen the union.

I would love to see part timers make more. I would be happy to see them make $20 an hour. Even then I still don't think part-timers will join the union in the rtw states. They are already getting everything for nothing and now instead of paying $18 a month they'll be paying close to $50 in Union dues.

542thruNthru

"Sorry for hurting your feelings"? Laugh laugh. Don't flatter yourself. You're not that impressive. We'll see how the union intreprets a $4 wage increase in relation to the contract. Enough said!

Yes we will. Thank you for the great conversation. I'm glad to hear I didn't upset you. I was worried you didn't like me there for a minute.

AlliSeeisBrown

I would love to see part timers make more. I would be happy to see them make $20 an hour. Even then I still don't think part-timers will join the union in the rtw states. They are already getting everything for nothing and now instead of paying $18 a month they'll be paying close to $50 in Union dues.
You make a solid point.

542thruNthru

Thanks for the sarcasm. Takes one to know one though. I was worried you didn't like me either.

No sarcasm. I do like you. I like anyone that shows a interest in the Union. Like I said before, I hope PTs fight it and win. I honestly would be completely fine with PT workers making driver pay.

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
It's not a insult. You didn't take a pay cut. Should a 35 year FT driver be upset that me a 19 year driver makes the same as him? No he shouldn't. Starting wage needs to come up and this is probably the way it's going to go down. Complain all you want but you did not lose any money. You're just upset that you don't make more then the new guy. You still have seniority over him so stop whining.

I just made this same point to a coworker this morning. People were campaigning for a higher starting pay for part timers, well here it is. For some reason I don't think they really wanted what they were asking for. People should remember that the collective bargaining agreement calls for minimums.

W

What The Hawk?

Why would it upset you what other people make? $36 an hour at 20 hours a week still isn't close to what a driver makes.
It depends on the circumstance. I just sympathize with my coworkers right now. Monday they raised our wage to $14 an hour so all the people who have been here for years and got raises basically got jipped (or so they feel). I'm more angry about the fact that I became and air driver (which I thought was a promotion) and I make less than a preloader now. I'm not an air driver anymore so it doesn't matter but I can agree and understand those who are upset.

542thruNthru

It depends on the circumstance. I just sympathize with my coworkers right now. Monday they raised our wage to $14 an hour so all the people who have been here for years and got raises basically got jipped (or so they feel). I'm more angry about the fact that I became and air driver (which I thought was a promotion) and I make less than a preloader now. I'm not an air driver anymore so it doesn't matter but I can agree and understand those who are upset.

Well air driver is definitely not a promotion. I'm sorry people are angry that they will make the same as a new guy. They still have more seniority which entitles them to picking vacation first, going full-time first and many other things. We have full-time drivers with 35 years. I'm sure they're not happy a guy that started just four years ago is making the same pay as them.

W

What The Hawk?

Well air driver is definitely not a promotion. I'm sorry people are angry that they will make the same as a new guy. They still have more seniority which entitles them to picking vacation first, going full-time first and many other things. We have full-time drivers with 35 years. I'm sure they're not happy a guy that started just four years ago is making the same pay as them.
I don't care. I just understand why people ARE angry. I was making 50 cents more than a new person (WDFD) and now I'm making $2.50 more than what I was before but I make the same as a new person now. I'm more angry about the hours getting cut and the cover up to make it look like a pay increase when it isn't.