401k Teamsters withdrawals

Trailer monkey

I have to admit, I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the after-tax option. Would like some clarity on this.
For me it's an easy way to build a cash reserve, it takes about a week to get a check from it, which is good, I would not want to be able to access it with a debit card. I use it only for extreme situations. Of course you do have to pay taxes on any interest earned on it, but there is no penalty

SameRightsForAll

I work in the Oklahoma City Hub and am in the southern region supplement. Does anyone know about taking money out of a 401k early. I had my truck repossessed this past Friday and was wondering if borrowing from my 401k to get it back was an option. I’m going to call the union hall Tuesday, but was looking for any info in the meantime. Been with UPS for 8 years as part time package handler.

The IRS doesn't consider starving or needing a vehicle for work as hardships. Even if you need money for your kids' college tuition, the chances of the college complying with the ridiculous requirements by Prudential that go beyond what the IRS requires, is slim to none. You'll suffer financially while your money sits and earns interest for the government but certainly not for you.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The IRS doesn't consider starving or needing a vehicle for work as hardships. Even if you need money for your kids' college tuition, the chances of the college complying with the ridiculous requirements by Prudential that go beyond what the IRS requires, is slim to none. You'll suffer financially while your money sits and earns interest for the government but certainly not for you.

The government doesn't get any interest from your 401k. The entire point of a 401k is so they get less of your money, not more.

This guy is a prime example of why the strict withdrawal rules exist. Some people need to be protected from their own stupidity.

That's why you have an emergency fund.
Why doesn't anybody understand this?

CoffeeStainedUniform

Lol not drugs or police issue. Had the truck for almost 5 years, but we just got stretched too thin finically recently. Things are back on track now, I just don’t have the money currently to pay to get it back.
I'm sorry for the tight spot you're in. You'll always be jumping from one tight spot to another until you bite the bullet and stop trying to find an easy way out.

You need to let this truck go, get you a cheap little thing and work your ass off at 2 jobs till you can clean up your mess. Start doing a budget and decide today, that you're only going to make smart decisions with money from now on. I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure everyone else does too.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm sorry for the tight spot you're in. You'll always be jumping from one tight spot to another until you bite the bullet and stop trying to find an easy way out.

You need to let this truck go, get you a cheap little thing and work your ass off at 2 jobs till you can clean up your mess. Start doing a budget and decide today, that you're only going to make smart decisions with money from now on. I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure everyone else does too.
7auMg00.gif