$41 an hr & $61.50 ot = $101,000. FedEx, Amazon Flex, USPS do you guys think that's a fair wage?

squirting is 10% pee

working to pay the US Govt 400m in backtaxes
would it make a difference if these new Hybrid drivers aren't Unionized?

maybe this way, working for peanuts won' make a difference to pt/ft lifers

Chnandler Bong

"A new classification of full-time combination driver" is not a temporary thing.

No, but choosing to take that position isn’t permanent. Much like the 22.3 jobs that WE fought to create back in ‘97, they have the right to bid full time driving once they get enough seniority. Before going full time, I drove air on Saturdays, worked reload and had a day job making much less than these 22.4 jobs being proposed.

As far as “why not use ground drivers at full pay”? They tried that. Forced Tues-Sat drivers and everyone was upset. They wanted any 5 in 7 and we told the negotiators that was also a no. This was the compromise they came up with.

Again, I’m not saying I’m for it until I see the actual language...but I’m also not going to tell people what they should do with votes (either way) until we see what we’re dealing with and understand the alternatives.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
"A new classification of full-time combination driver" is not a temporary thing.

No, but choosing to take that position isn’t permanent. Much like the 22.3 jobs that WE fought to create back in ‘97, they have the right to bid full time driving once they get enough seniority. Before going full time, I drove air on Saturdays, worked reload and had a day job making much less than these 22.4 jobs being proposed.

As far as “why not use ground drivers at full pay”? They tried that. Forced Tues-Sat drivers and everyone was upset. They wanted any 5 in 7 and we told the negotiators that was also a no. This was the compromise they came up with.

Again, I’m not saying I’m for it until I see the actual language...but I’m also not going to tell people what they should do with votes (either way) until we see what we’re dealing with and understand the alternatives.

Less pay to deliver ground is one of the few confirmed facts we have. That's all I need to know to vote no. We never got t-s in my area, but most of our newer and hopeful drivers were in favor of it. I am also not against weekend operations, as long as people aren't getting jerked around on their schedules. Most of the complaining I've seen on here about t-s has been about poor management in general, being forced to work extra shifts or being sent home on their scheduled days and forced to work an unscheduled day and not get paid OT for it. Also sounded like they were advancing volume to make it worth operating, so routes were being cut on mondays.

Less pay to deliver ground is one of the few confirmed facts we have. That's all I need to know to vote no. We never got t-s in my area, but most of our newer and hopeful drivers were in favor of it. I am also not against weekend operations, as long as people aren't getting jerked around on their schedules. Most of the complaining I've seen on here about t-s has been about poor management in general, being forced to work extra shifts or being sent home on their scheduled days and forced to work an unscheduled day and not get paid OT for it. Also sounded like they were advancing volume to make it worth operating, so routes were being cut on mondays.
They cut back on Saturdays because it was killing production on Mondays.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’m just guessing, just as you are. If what you say becomes true then I am out of a job.

I am guessing, but it is based on the information that has been provided. Just looking for the worst case scenario so we can prevent any negative unintended consequences. The company wants to lower its labor costs, it only makes sense that they would want to reduce what they pay ground drivers. The union knows they can't do this directly, so hybrid drivers opens the back door to paying less to deliver ground service packages. If this goes through we may not all be out a job, but we may eventually have to accept a pay cut to keep it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They cut back on Saturdays vrcbeca it was killing production on Mondays.

I tried explaining that in another thread. The volume just isn't there to justify it, for now. I know UPS would like to be able to run 7 days a week without missing a beat. To do that, they need to increase the volume, and to do that, one thing they need to do is lower prices. They want labor to bear the costs of lower prices, and thus hybrid drivers have been proposed. I might be willing to go along with it, if it were simply being used to increase the momentum of growth over the life of this contract, and there was language saying hybrid drivers would be phased out by the end of the contract and all hybrid drivers would become full ground drivers at that point, or 22.3, or something along those lines.

I tried explaining that in another thread. The volume just isn't there to justify it, for now. I know UPS would like to be able to run 7 days a week without missing a beat. To do that, they need to increase the volume, and to do that, one thing they need to do is lower prices. They want labor to bear the costs of lower prices, and thus hybrid drivers have been proposed. I might be willing to go along with it, if it were simply being used to increase the momentum of growth over the life of this contract, and there was language saying hybrid drivers would be phased out by the end of the contract and all hybrid drivers would become full ground drivers at that point, or 22.3, or something along those lines.
How about delivering the Surepost on Saturday and Monday instead of giving it to the post office?

MethodsMan

Been at UPS over 35 years.
-You get 2 weeks more paid time off than me.
-I get no trust fund.
-I will have to be here 43 years to get a full pensioni
-we get no free legal services
-we get no paid sick days.
-I will pay for my own health insurance in retirement.
-My pension may be 50% less ten years from now to save the fund.
-My joints are shot. Doctor says it is from years of over use. Just want to walk without pain when retired
-None of the other companies force their drivers to work 70 hrs weeks or deliver the volume of stops and pieces as us.
So stop your "we have it so good" as UPS drivers attitude. Your situation does not apply to all of us

Damn, that sucks. You must work in a RTW state. Completely opposite of where I'm at.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Can we all agree that weekend deliveries are inevitable? If so, how should the work be distributed? At the PO, you’re not guaranteed 2 consecutive days off. Nobody at UPS wants that. We also wanted 9.5 relief. Hybrid employees seems like a viable option as long as it’s tightly limited in scope. How else do you propose covering weekends?
How else? I mean seriously you don't have the intelligence to figure out any other way?

I'll make this real easy. Ft drivers with 3 shifts

Sun-thurs

Mon-fri

Tues- sat

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How much should they get to do inside work?
If big IF, I were to be ok with hybrid drivers it would be because there is Language limiting their use on road.

Something like "hybrid drivers will work no more than 4.5 on road M-friend. If they work over 4.5 hours on road they will receive full scale driver pay for the entire work day."

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
How about delivering the Surepost on Saturday and Monday instead of giving it to the post office?
Same thought. A few bags of surepost alone would significantly cut out dead time driving from stop to stop. 50 pieces of post would barely fill a shelf corner too.
All their fancy tools are not capable of adding 'extra stops' and neither will the dispatcher, methinks.

Same thought. A few bags of surepost alone would significantly cut out dead time driving from stop to stop. 50 pieces of post would barely fill a shelf corner too.
All their fancy tools are not capable of adding 'extra stops' and neither will the dispatcher, methinks.
I'm sure they could figure something out to make all of this work better.

PT Car Washer

They cut back on Saturdays because it was killing production on Mondays.
Cut into their stop density. Saturday driver goes into an area and delivers 20 packages and the Monday driver goes back and delivers 10 more packages. Often on the same street and the same house.

Ghost in the Darkness

If big IF, I were to be ok with hybrid drivers it would be because there is Language limiting their use on road.

Something like "hybrid drivers will work no more than 4.5 on road M-friend. If they work over 4.5 hours on road they will receive full scale driver pay for the entire work day."

I agree, not giving any information other than working Sat and Sun is the biggest cause of resistance to this idea. Why wouldn't we be skeptical when we are kept in the dark. Whether its due to arrogance or they are hiding something the IBT needs to understand they work for us... its not the other way around.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
It would be impossible for him to look out for only himself any more. Hybrid drivers are an absolute no go. The fact that it was dreamed up by the teamsters supports the assertion that the teamsters don't care about UPSer's. They will start to care only after we decertify and they start missing all that dues money.
Dummie, it was the unions idea because the CO. wants to work a 7 day work week with non consecutive days off. So you shortsighted dimwit, that mean you could be scheduled to work Sunday through Saturday, with Monday and Friday off, ignorant boon.

PT Car Washer

I've worked a few Saturday. I seen in person what a :censored2: show it is.
Totally screws the Saturday air drivers also. Have you delivering Mondays savers and 2nd day all with a 12:00 commit time. And then you see NDA Sat packages on Monday without a service cross. Drove Saturday air for 25 years and loved it. I sleep in on Saturday now.

PT Car Washer

We have one air driver that works Saturdays. That's it.
We have 8? EAM drivers that come back and deliver the 12:00 commits plus FT drivers that come in to deliver Sat. NDA at time and a half for 4 hours. All the Saturday ground drivers are in their first year and out until 0 Dark Thirty without throwing Air on them. Saturday cluster friend.