Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Okay. But it's not just me. I talked to almost ten feeder drivers tonight with more seniority than me, and very knowledgeable guys. To a man, they said your example of drivers working 70 hours during Mon-Fri., were violating the DOT hours of service rules.

Your second message asked where it says that, and it can be found on the DOT website under Hours of Service. Simply put, it says without the 34 hour reset, you are limited to 60 hours in a 7 day period, or 70 hours in a 8 day period. So doing 70 hours in a 5 day period--once again, without a reset--is a violation of hours of service.
Your only limitations are 14 hours per day and 70 hours over 8 days.

If you work 70 hours in 5 days you reset every weekend.

How are guys working 60 hours in 5 days every single week all over the country? And now with 70 hours avalible many are working 70 every week in 6 days. I'm not advocating one do it but it is legally possible to work 70 in 5.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We have 30 minute lunch so 13 1/2.

You can also do 20 minutes lunch combined with 10 minutes break for your 30 minutes. I would never do it on a long day but it's handy on days you want to be done early and not give up .17 hours if pay.

I know other supplements get more break time which would be even better.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My whole point from the start of this fiasco was just bring some awareness to working the 8/70 shift. We don't do it that often in feeders. And it can be confusing. We deal with tracking our hours every day in feeders, and if you go over your hours, it can mean big trouble.

Honesty, I don't know how close of an eye the DOT tracks it. I have no clue if they have real time info on us or not. But in our feeder department, if you violate, expect to have a few unpaid days off. And the DOT manual clearly states the fines. They range from $1000 to $11,000 per violation. I would just hate to see a package car driver get in trouble for going over his hours, especially since their supervisors seem to know even less about it than them.

the fines are the least of it. if you are violating and get in an accident and hurt or kill someone the company would have to pay millions and the driver could quite possibly go to prison.

in the old days , we all violated. kept 2 log books to keep working. companies knew all about it and would even give you beans to stay awake.

not anymore. too much to lose.