Amazon Impact on UPS

browniehound

I just hope no-one from Amazon reads Brown Cafe.
I question the wisdom of creating a thread with a title that so disses our largest customer. Imagine the job losses that would occur if we suddenly didn't have Amazon packages in our hubs and on our vehicles.
Just something to think on...

Exactly,Over95. Imagine the routes that would be cut without Amazon as a customer? Say goodbye to all the baselines and plan on being a cover driver for like 15 years.

oldngray

nowhere special
If UPS can break even on Amazon ground and make a little on air, that allows them to pay for a lot of operational costs, then with delivery routes in place, they can make more profit from other packages drivers are going past anyway.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Exactly,Over95. Imagine the routes that would be cut without Amazon as a customer? Say goodbye to all the baselines and plan on being a cover driver for like 15 years.
This is over-the-top, IMO. ebb and flow...where Amazon leaves, there are other shipping contracts out there there waiting to be picked up as they expire.

kingOFchester

Overpaid Union Thug

I forget where I saw it but someone commented that they work for both Amazon and UPS and that Amazon had people working on Christmas Eve picking orders that were promised to be delivered before Christmas. I'm not the most logistically minded person but even I know that was a bad move.

browniehound

Exactly.
But there's no need to rub their face in it.
Somebody has been mentioning how we'd be more profitable without Amazon. How we make next to nothing on their packages.
I'm completely comfortable with UPS making "next to nothing" on each Amazon package if it means having 5000 more Teamster jobs across the country. Because without Amazon, we lose Teamster jobs.

Big picture. Think about it...

Sent from Mordor using BrownCafe app
I'm all for the jobs too, but I think UPS is making significant money from Amazon packages even if only by those stops filling "holes" in the driver's route to give him stop density and efficiency. So say if UPS makes next to nothing on each Amazon parcel (let's go with 10 cents a parcel for sake of argument) and we deliver 1 million Amazon/per day (we deliver 14 million packages a day, right? and I'll bet 1/14th of my truck is Amazon every day, maybe?) this profits UPS $100,000 everyday. From 1 account. Not too shabby!

And what I mean by filling holes is if you have an Amazon package that profits you 10 cents at house #32 on Main St. Then a delivery from another company going to #30,31,33, or 34 becomes much more profitable (fuel and labor costs now become negligible from the driver's account). Am I breaking this down correctly? Maybe?lol

kingOFchester

I'm all for the jobs too, but I think UPS is making significant money from Amazon packages even if only by those stops filling "holes" in the driver's route to give him stop density and efficiency. So say if UPS makes next to nothing on each Amazon parcel (let's go with 10 cents a parcel for sake of argument) and we deliver 1 million Amazon/per day (we deliver 14 million packages a day, right? and I'll bet 1/14th of my truck is Amazon every day, maybe?) this profits UPS $100,000 everyday. From 1 account. Not too shabby!

And what I mean by filling holes is if you have an Amazon package that profits you 10 cents at house #32 on Main St. Then a delivery from another company going to #30,31,33, or 34 becomes much more profitable (fuel and labor costs now become negligible from the driver's account). Am I breaking this down correctly? Maybe?lol

I use "fuzzy" math, so I come up with:
x^2-10x+y^2-20y=-125 what is x+y=?

Answer is 15.

oldngray

nowhere special
I would guess its more likely to be 1/3 QVC than Amazon. Depends on the area but there are always QVC addicts everywhere.

kingOFchester

Cell phones and food stamp credit cards equal 1/3 of my residential volume.

How do cellphones and food stamps go hand in hand? Next you are going to tell me that you also have delivered
I would guess its more likely to be 1/3 QVC than Amazon. Depends on the area but there are always QVC addicts everywhere.

Been getting a lot of Macys stuff. Certainly not as much as Amazon or QVC. Enough tho to peak my interest to look at them more carefully as a stock play.

Marne Vet

Maybe I don't see it, but I hardly get any Amazon packages, and I'm a 80% resi trip. I do work in the ghetto, so that could be a factor.

bumped

How do cellphones and food stamps go hand in hand? Next you are going to tell me that you also have delivered

That's life in the inner city. I have never delivered a Pottery Barn in the city. I do also get quite a bit of credit cards and Diapers which are of the adult variety.