UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you guys find that the level of patience/impatience depends upon what area of the country you are in? Over is from the Northeast, as am I, and we tend to be a little less patient than folks from other parts of the country.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You touched on a huge pet peeve.

The :censored2: who sets up his rig in front of a back box that he can't touch yet (we have a flag procedure on trailers that aren't ready) and then sits there to the detriment of the rest of us sometimes for hours.
:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:'s

Well, maybe I didn't explain myself properly. The yard I work in is large. Typically, dollies get spotted in front of the back box. But just as often, they will stack both boxes together with a dolly between them while they load the back box. Our yard has enough room to do that and still have room for people to pass.

I never hold up anyone deliberately. Never have. But I have been around guys who get pissy when they have to wait while you are doing you job. Those guys can kiss my ass. Typically, these are the guys who burn up routes and tear around the yard like they are riding in go-karts. I could care less how long they have to wait on me.

And maybe some of you disagree, but I'm glad I learned how to back the dolly on a trailer. On snow or ice, you'll be lucky to move a dolly six inches forward or backwards. This is when putting the dolly to the front trailer and hooking to the back box becomes essential, if you ask me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you are building a set of doubles or triples does the box with the higher % go closer to the cab or toward the rear or are they set up based upon where they will be dropped at the hub or center?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Well, maybe I didn't explain myself properly. The yard I work in is large. Typically, dollies get spotted in front of the back box. But just as often, they will stack both boxes together with a dolly between them while they load the back box. Our yard has enough room to do that and still have room for people to pass.

I never hold up anyone deliberately. Never have. But I have been around guys who get pissy when they have to wait while you are doing you job. Those guys can kiss my ass. Typically, these are the guys who burn up routes and tear around the yard like they are riding in go-karts. I could care less how long they have to wait on me.

And maybe some of you disagree, but I'm glad I learned how to back the dolly on a trailer. On snow or ice, you'll be lucky to move a dolly six inches forward or backwards. This is when putting the dolly to the front trailer and hooking to the back box becomes essential, if you ask me.
I assume you know how to spot a dolly with your tractor right?
I have no issue with drivers hero hooking but if you think it's an essential skill that you can't do your job without then you weren't paying attention in feeder school.
I'm always impressed when I see a driver swing out and back that dolly right under on the first shot, I sure as hell can't do it. Watching some guy block up the row while he pulls up for the 5th try (will he get it this time?), not so much.

bluebiker

He got it back fairly straight into a huge hole. Put that back box in a wall bay and I'll buy him coffee.

Used to be a shifter in NJ who could back a kite on the door. That was when the yard wasn't too crowded. Now it seems we get less doubles and more 53'.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Do you guys find that the level of patience/impatience depends upon what area of the country you are in? Over is from the Northeast, as am I, and we tend to be a little less patient than folks from other parts of the country.

No matter the location you are in traffic is always in a hurry. You will notice different parts of the country drive differently in certain weather conditions such as snow and rain. But overall it's the same.

Persons in feeders without patience have no business being on the road.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Drac, don't get me twisted: As I get more comfortable as a Feeder driver, I will find time to teach myself how to do a hero hookup. That seems to be a good way to save time and be efficient, like learning to recognize when you should walk off a stop rather than drive/back to it, or getting ground off with air (maybe even some non-air stops as well) while making the air commit time.

In fact, I intend to see if the training and experience I received pulling and backing dollies with tugs while working in the PHL air operation will allow me to back up doubles and maybe a set of triples (not to brag or show off, but the skill could come in handy).

On 2nd thought, I was rather poor backing a three train of dollies, so no triples (although the principles on how to do so I understand).

Dracula

I assume you know how to spot a dolly with your tractor right?
I have no issue with drivers hero hooking but if you think it's an essential skill that you can't do your job without then you weren't paying attention in feeder school.
I'm always impressed when I see a driver swing out and back that dolly right under on the first shot, I sure as hell can't do it. Watching some guy block up the row while he pulls up for the 5th try (will he get it this time?), not so much.

I never said you couldn't do your job without it. I just makes things easier.

Paying attention in feeder school?? It's amazing how much attention you can pay, and still walk out of there with a bunch to learn. Case in point: ask any on-road supervisor to demonstrate how to hero hook. Let me know if you can find one.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I never said you couldn't do your job without it. I just makes things easier.

Paying attention in feeder school?? It's amazing how much attention you can pay, and still walk out of there with a bunch to learn. Case in point: ask any on-road supervisor to demonstrate how to hero hook. Let me know if you can find one.
Oh come on now. An "essential skill" is a skill that's required to do a job and least twice in this thread you've referred to it as such.
Whether or not an on road can demonstrate it is irrelevant, even if they could they wouldn't (and shouldn't) because it's against company policy.

MaceFremonti

Meet guy just called me...he's 2 1/2 hours behind schedule....looks like I have some time to practice hero hooking all by myself in this big empty lot while I wait!:cool:

Sent using BrownCafe App

Dracula

Oh come on now. An "essential skill" is a skill that's required to do a job and least twice in this thread you've referred to it as such.
Whether or not an on road can demonstrate it is irrelevant, even if they could they wouldn't (and shouldn't) because it's against company policy.

Against company policy? Maybe where you're at, but not here.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
More like.... frowned upon.

Damage the equipment.... while doing it ? Different story.

-Bug-
Yeah, it's one of those things where they look the other way as long as nothing happens but spear a few trailers and the microscope comes out.
Against company policy? Maybe where you're at, but not here.
Walk into your district manager's office and ask him if UPS approves of hero hooking. I already know what he'll say.

Pickles

Meet guy just called me...he's 2 1/2 hours behind schedule....looks like I have some time to practice hero hooking all by myself in this big empty lot while I wait!:cool:

Then you'll probably just get in trouble for Idle time.

I suck at backing a dolly (what we call it), but i know when looking in your mirror, you spin the wheel what ever direction you want the dolly to go. And it's very easy to overcorrect it.

Highwayman

The majority of our Sterlings are really starting to show their age. Especially compared to the newer Macks and Kenworths. Some of the older guys still LOVE their Sterlings and take them over the newer equipment if they have the choice.
That is because the new macks have low power and don't pull hills as well, plus you get used to the way a truck drives and you just don't want to change. My 2008 Sterling has 640,000 miles and 455 hp.