104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
When you are building a set of doubles or triples does the box with the higher % go closer to the cab or toward the rear or are they set up based upon where they will be dropped at the hub or center?

In general, as Dracula said, "heavy up front". However, all trailers are not created equal. You can have about 10-15% difference between the front and rear boxes and be OK. An 85% trailer with heavy looking irregs loaded chest high will probably be heavier than a 100% regular trailer. SC's (short ocean containers on chassis that are never removed) are heavier than a regular W trailer, so if you have irregs in an SC you definitely want that one up front. Too heavy in the rear and you are likely to jack knife in a hard braking situation.
Also, having and SC in the rear can cause damage when doing very tight turns or U turns as the trailer is squared off and the corners can hit the front box. This is especially possible with two SC's. We generally hate those SC's.

Some odd 28' trailers can only go on the rear as they were made to different specs and have the pintle hook for a dolly higher because most other carriers use a straight dolly vs. the angled one we use. No idea why we have to have a different dolly than everyone else.

Last edited:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Does feeders have many manuals left? Are they too, "scheduled to be replaced" by our next contract?
All manuals here though we rented some automatics for Peak which I didn't get to drive. No provision in the Contract to make any changes to the equipment as far as transmission goes.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
How come most feeder drivers look like they haven't showered in weeks?
You are probably seeing them at the end of a shift, when they've been cooped up in a tractor all night, eating as they drive, maybe slept awhile over the steering wheel, crawling under trailers to do pretrips, and are generally pretty rumpled. A little grease in the wrong spot can go a long way. If they are a sleeper team then they have been cooped up together for several days. Not all waste too much time stopping to shower when they are getting paid by the mile. We have a few that seem to wear a raggedy jacket or severely grease stained hat all the time as if they want that one uniform article to make it all the way to retirement. Shaving schedules don't conform to our work schedules, so you might show up and look clean shaven but in a few hours you won't be. But in general the job is relaxed so we look relaxed.

h400ex412

Hi im work in in Rome, N.Y. and im a pt preloader and a pt pkg cover driver. My ? is I've been w/ ups for 7 yrs and the last 3 have made attempts to get into feeders as a cover driver. The latest issue im now having is I've been told I cannot be both a pt pkg car driver and a pt feeder cover driver. So I asked can I disqualify from pt pkg cover driving in order to pursue feeders cover driving and I was told no! Im either being told the 100% truth or my center mgr is holding me back from progressing to keep me a pt pkg cover driver.... any thoughts on my next steps would be appreciated..

'Lord Brown's bidding'

So in the interest meeting today, a point was made that I've heard several times before, namely that package is tiring physically, but feeders will mentally drain you. Has this been you guys' experience?

I know you guys preach taking your time and being safe; that being said, is it still stressful dealing with "four-wheelers"? What have been some close calls you've dealt with, and what do you credit with getting you out of it (with "luck" being a given)?

Last edited:
Hi im work in in Rome, N.Y. and im a pt preloader and a pt pkg cover driver. My ? is I've been w/ ups for 7 yrs and the last 3 have made attempts to get into feeders as a cover driver. The latest issue im now having is I've been told I cannot be both a pt pkg car driver and a pt feeder cover driver. So I asked can I disqualify from pt pkg cover driving in order to pursue feeders cover driving and I was told no! Im either being told the 100% truth or my center mgr is holding me back from progressing to keep me a pt pkg cover driver.... any thoughts on my next steps would be appreciated..

Next step, ask your union steward. Better yet a Feeder union steward.

So in the interest meeting today, a point was made that I've heard several times before, namely that package is tiring physically, but feeders will mentally drain you. Has this been you guys' experience?

I know you guys preach taking your time and being safe; that being said, is it still stressful dealing with "four-wheelers"? What have been some close calls you've dealt with, and what do you credit with getting you out of it (with "luck" being a given)?

Yes.

Yes.

I've been able to miss out on car crashes that looked like plane crashes. The worst was when the Bulls were winning all their championships. We'd drive by the United Center at night and you could tell if they won or lost based on whether the beer bottles thrown at you were full or empty.

I credit getting out of every crash on the fact that I'm paid by the hour. there's no reason to hot dog it and I have yet to be the person responsible for making a load "hot".

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Have you ever dreamed of being a Nascar hauler? You would be a cb celebrity.

..the above post about plane crashes reminded me of a pileup on i25 with a furniture row hauler.

h400ex412

my union steward who was a ft feeder b4 being bumped backed into pkg car driving tells me not to waste my time w/feeders. but i know he would grab at any ft feeder bid if it comes back. i'll ask around about feeder union steward. i have a feeder dvr in my building that has been helping me all along. i cant thank him enough for getting me.this far

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

At first it was mentally fatiguing but now its just managing fatigue i.e. sleepiness. Switching back and forth between night and days can be tough, so you develop your sleep skill. You grab it when you can, plan your day around your sleep, sleep on your meal, figure out what works for you. I rarely have to dip into the Rockstar or Redbull anymore. Not munching is tougher to give up (the chewing helps you stay awake). I find I have more issues if I don't exercise at home. There are still some times I find my self stomping my feet in the seat and yelling to wake myself up.

Plenty of close calls but they methods will save you most of the time. There is a balance between driving slow in traffic and being dynamic. You have to anticipate who will cut you off (which gets really easy after awhile) and don't be so slow you just invite it. Knowing your equipment will help here. Intersections are huge of course, that 'plan ahead' takes on special meaning. If you don't have good peripheral vision and intuition you will have more close calls. For example, if you are going straight though a light at startup and the you sense the semi next to you slow someone is running the light.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Here you have to be full time Package driver with one year safe driving before you are elligible for Feeders. Cover driving doesn't count.

Here you have to be full time Package driver with one year safe driving before you are elligible for Feeders. Cover driving doesn't count.
That is our rule also. No air drivers either FT or PT are eligible. Surprised when you say package car drivers do not dove tail into your seniority list. Ours do. Really sucks for the off the street hires. PT does not count.

h400ex412

we do have throughout the state pt cover feeder drivers here. that's why its a little frustrating knowing others out there are currently doing it and I'm pulling teeth just to get a road test..