union4life

Is there any need for a "trucker's gps" or atlas to help with avoiding low bridge and clearances?

What do feeders use to stay out of traffic trouble like that?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Is there any need for a "trucker's gps" or atlas to help with avoiding low bridge and clearances?

All feeder runs have a set route to follow. Sometimes there may be detours due to an accident or construction but a marked detour will be set with tractor trailers in mind.

But if you get lost or take a wrong term you will have to keep your eyes open for low clearance bridges or bridges that won't take the weight. Or any other obstacle like low branches, too narrow roads, roads that won't accept a combination with too long distance from your king pin to rear axle or a dozen other problems. You may have to back out of a situation or even break up a set to turn around. You really have to be aware.

Most of our drivers have CB radios to keep up on road conditions from other drivers. You can also use your iphone to access road conditions. They may also be trucker apps on your smart phone that can help.

I usually relied on the CB. ( ol school )

Brown Now

Low bridges? You're on your own, check for clearance signage. As for just rolling down the road, I am really enjoying an app called "Waze". It's interactive so you can update as you go along. Others update as well. Shows hazards, construction, police,etc. Got some of my feeder coworkers on it. They like
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1478999861.900512.jpg
it and you can send messages through it, eta and the likes.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Google owns Waze. I assumed the traffic info on Google maps came from Waze...is it different?

The main reason I use my GPS is for easy access to my speed.

I have a Garmin DEZL I found on Craigslist, it's OK but I wouldn't pay full price. Someltimes it gets confused and tries to take me out of the way for no reason. An example is a bypass in a large city. It tries to make me exit on the A exit, go north one exit and do a U-turn to come back south on the bypass. It does this because it shows a truck restriction about 1/4 mile too early and thinks driving under the bypass to the B exit is driving on restricted roads.

Brown Now

In settings on Waze, you can set up all kinds of options including speed limit of the road you're on and how fast you're going. Kind of helps with boring stretches of road too. I have a Tom Tom, but after using Waze, I don't bother with it anymore.

Brown Now

What I really like it for is all the hazards other users put up and just the fact it shows which way the road is headed considering I do a lot of my running at night on some desolate interstate. It's great during fog and limited visibility conditions as well. I definitely slow down anyways, but it's nice to look at the map and see which way the road is curving.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hey guys... Question, why does the rig always seem to "buck" after I release the trailer breaks and pull down the hand value.... Seems to happen almost every time when I'm hooking up to a trailer... Especially ww's...

Knothead

Yep.
Hey guys... Question, why does the rig always seem to "buck" after I release the trailer breaks and pull down the hand value.... Seems to happen almost every time when I'm hooking up to a trailer... Especially ww's...
I always figured it was the brakes holding some leftover energy from the whole hookup/ test pull procedure that got released when the trailer brakes were released. I'm no scientist though.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When you hook up to a trailer, the brakes are locked. When you add the air to the trailer (push in the red valve), that releases the brakes, which causes the trailer to move slightly. Then, when you turn the hand valve down, you re-engage the trailer brakes. So when you release the hand valve, it unlocks the trailer brakes again, usually bouncing the trailer slightly. If you think about it, the same basic thing happens in a car when you engage and un-engage the parking brake, just less so. Also, the same thing happens to the back box of a set, when you're hooking up, if you turn your red valve before the blue valve, which we're trained not to do. It's a little unnerving if you turn that red valve first and see that back box move up on you. But same idea; by adding air to the back box, you're releasing the brakes.

Dracula

BTW, we were always trained, after hooking up trailers, to move forward a few feet, then drop the hand valve. Nobody ever explained why that was to me. Maybe they did to you. But since the purpose of the hand valve is to lock up the trailer brakes, someone finally told me that it was to make sure your trailer brakes were operational. You can always tell when trailer brakes are getting long in the tooth. When you drop the hand valve, and the trailer doesn't jerk to a stop, it very slowly comes to a stop. That's when I red tag a trailer.

Dracula

You probably already know, but to further explain the point, after you hook a trailer and give it a test tug--who am i kidding, drag the trailer--you notice that wheels of the trailer are locked up, because you haven't added air to it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
BTW, we were always trained, after hooking up trailers, to move forward a few feet, then drop the hand valve. Nobody ever explained why that was to me. Maybe they did to you. But since the purpose of the hand valve is to lock up the trailer brakes, someone finally told me that it was to make sure your trailer brakes were operational. You can always tell when trailer brakes are getting long in the tooth. When you drop the hand valve, and the trailer doesn't jerk to a stop, it very slowly comes to a stop. That's when I red tag a trailer.

The shop just needs to adjust the brakes, only takes a couple of minutes.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The shop just needs to adjust the brakes, only takes a couple of minutes.
going over donner pass everyday I would stop by the shop most days to have trailer brakes adjusted. there was always at least 1 or 2 that needed it. sometimes they would find a red taggable problem which really made management hysterically happy. ;)

btw, I know for the mechanics it was a PIA so I use to bring all the guys pizza, sandwiches , and soda every once in awhile.

made the world go around a little easier.