retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
So, cover drivers in Feeders...is that an actual thing?
We had cover drivers in feeders where I worked, but they were all FT. A majority of them were low seniority guys who couldn't get a bid job and were assigned to the cover board. On the other hand there were several high and middle seniority guys who actually bid the cover board as their regular gig. If they were high enough on the board, they had their pick of the day jobs daily.

Indecisi0n

We had cover drivers in feeders where I worked, but they were all FT. A majority of them were low seniority guys who couldn't get a bid job and were assigned to the cover board. On the other hand there were several high and middle seniority guys who actually bid the cover board as their regular gig. If they were high enough on the board, they had their pick of the day jobs daily.
Bid daily or weekly? I wouldn't want to change jobs day by day.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We have cover drivers that bid something like a 12am-8am cover job.
They would cover the routes of people that booked off who start during those hours.
If all routes are covered, they'll do miscellaneous runs to get their 8 hours.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
A majority of the cover drivers pick the next weeks' job on their last day working the week before. Management has a list of the people who they KNOW is going to be off. (vacations, scheduled off) The top guy in seniority signs off on the job that he wants, and the next guy in seniority on down the line. They keep a few drivers in limbo (on call) to cover unexpected absences (call ins). I don't believe these bottom guys are guaranteed 40 hours/week. But where I worked, dispatch tried to keep those guys working around the yard or something if they requested the hours. Some guys are happy only working a few days a week.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Around here vacation cover and q list drivers bid jobs for the following week in seniority order. Vacation cover drivers who don't have a bid job work on call for that week, q list drivers who don't have a bid job can either work on call or go back to delivery for the week. Best advice I got back when I was on the q list and working on call was to go to bed as soon as you finish your run because they can call you back in 10 hours after you clock out.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Around here vacation cover and q list drivers bid jobs for the following week in seniority order. Vacation cover drivers who don't have a bid job work on call for that week, q list drivers who don't have a bid job can either work on call or go back to delivery for the week. Best advice I got back when I was on the q list and working on call was to go to bed as soon as you finish your run because they can call you back in 10 hours after you clock out.
it used to be 8 hours which was super hard when you had an hour commute each way. in bad weather i would just get a motel when i was on call just so i could sleep an extra hour or 2.

Indecisi0n

I'm going to give it a try when my time comes. Package is dead to me. I started reading thread from the beginning and there is a lot of useful information here. Keep it up, us newer guys appreciate it.

.....over

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Your
I'm going to give it a try when my time comes. Package is dead to me. I started reading thread from the beginning and there is a lot of useful information here. Keep it up, us newer guys appreciate it.

.....over

Your gonna need to brush up on your

Trucker/cb radio lingo if you wanna be a real SuperTrucker