trickpony1

I hope Inde has developed the habit of looking WWWAAAYYY down the road when he's driving his big truck.

Looking 20-30 feet ahead of you doesn't help.

Indecisi0n

I hope Inde has developed the habit of looking WWWAAAYYY down the road when he's driving his big truck.

Looking 20-30 feet ahead of you doesn't help.
It's a habit I am training myself to do. I use to always be so concerned about staying in my lane and checking mirrors to make sure trailer is inside the lines. Now like you said I look ahead pas multiple cars to see what's going on up ahead.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
E2923343-3484-416B-961E-EE57D6B8615D.gif
I know how to use the hand valve but was told in training it engages "all brakes". When you tell me all brakes I assume that means all brakes (tractor/trailer). I use it all the time for checking brake lights on pretrip but again wasnt sure about just the tractor. I really don't care about your opinion on the matter.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I know how to use the hand valve but was told in training it engages "all brakes". When you tell me all brakes I assume that means all brakes (tractor/trailer). I use it all the time for checking brake lights on pretrip but again wasnt sure about just the tractor. I really don't care about your opinion on the matter.
Sorry you took it so personally tough guy. Was trying to not to be condescending. But if you don't know how that works, you shouldn't be in a tractor.

King Of The Mountain

down in a holler
Yeah, I'll give Indy a pass on this one, too. They throw so much at you in feeder school, no way you can absorb it all. the real learning process is when you get out on your own, actually drive and talk to other drivers.

When I think I'm about to do something dumb I start asking drivers or calling ones I know who are up. Even after doing the job for a while it's a big help to find out how to do something correctly or go somewhere without doing all the dumb moves and getting the right answers from people who've done it. Not from some supervisor who only does safety rides and paperwork or a dispatcher who hands you a map that resembles piece of paper pulled out of kindergarten art class.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When the pin won’t release, just get back in the tractor, put it in reverse, and bang it backwards enough to jerk the trailer. Works every time.

budlight

hey friend* face
Indecision, the next day you work, pull the "trolley" or trailer brake handle when you get in, prior to hooking up to anything. That escaping air you hear means you don't have your service (blue line) brakes connected. Your service brakes are what stops you when you push the floor pedal. That supplies air to all brakes, tractor and trailer(s). Your trailer brake handle only supplies the brakes to the trailers. When your air runs low (60 ish psi), the trailer (yellow button) brakes are going to lock up. When you get to 30 ish psi then your tractor (red button) brakes will lock. Go slow and make sure everything is working properly. I had a lot more to say, but I've been drinking and I can't remember.

Ignore that :censored2:nugget that can't be helpful and wants to denigrate a new guy into this. Ask whatever you need to. I'm still learning and hopefully I always will be.

Hadjabear

How do you test the service brakes on a dolly? How about the rear box? Once your hooked and use trolley bar how do you know it's not just your front box holding you stopped

budlight

hey friend* face
I suppose you could turn the air off to the trailer and drain the dolly? Isn't that what the test tug is for?

You do raise a good point though, maybe that should be added to the pre-trip...

trickpony1

How about the rear box?

After assembling your set and with the hand lever down, walk to the back of your set, reach down and turn on the service line (blue) valve.

If you hear air escaping that means you have an air supply to your rear trailer brakes. If you don't hear air escaping that means you forgot to turn on the valves on the rear of your front trailer and your rear trailer has no brakes.

This is part of your pretrip.