Coldworld

60 months and counting
Exactly. The bid holder wrote it up, one of the other cover guys wrote it up, told me about it, mechanic in my building said to spray the jaws with lube. Was a good temporary fix. If I remember correctly, the 5th wheel was replaced the next PMI. That fixed it.
Rereading the above... I could pull the pin, but the trailer would not always slide off. Empties were really bad. Had to jerk the trailer off the 5th wheel. Sucked if one was spotting empties at a customer location.
You think now that they will be putting in new sleeper runs that you can get into feeder permanently??

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You think now that they will be putting in new sleeper runs that you can get into feeder permanently??
They are supposed to add a bunch of sleeper teams to my old department before the first of the year. This would be a great time to make the move from PC if that's what one wants. Sounds like they are doing it in other places as well.

P

pickup

Here ya go, Indy. UPS has some equipment to fit your needs, of course, the trade off is that you lose your AC, and the engine is inches from you, and feels like a heater going full blast. I had a shifting job for 2 years when I first came into feeders. The floor of these is steel and will get so hot that it will burn the bottom of your feet through your boots.

We just two new ones with air conditioning and they aren’t rentals.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Down here, the shop would disable the AC in the name of "saving fuel."

That's hard to believe.

"Effective May 1, 1977, all tractor-feeder road equipment placed in service shall be equipped with air conditioning.

Effective April 29, 1981, all other tractor-feeder road equipment (except equipment manufactured in 1969 or before) used in the service of the Employer shall be equipped with air conditioning.

Any equipment that is put into service after August 1, 1990 that already has an air-conditioning unit, such units will not be removed. All air-conditioned equipment will be maintained in working order.
"

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-

Knothead

Yep.
That's hard to believe.

"Effective May 1, 1977, all tractor-feeder road equipment placed in service shall be equipped with air conditioning.

Effective April 29, 1981, all other tractor-feeder road equipment (except equipment manufactured in 1969 or before) used in the service of the Employer shall be equipped with air conditioning.

Any equipment that is put into service after August 1, 1990 that already has an air-conditioning unit, such units will not be removed. All air-conditioned equipment will be maintained in working order.
"

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-
In my building they get away with removing the A/C by calling the yard birds "Hub equipment" instead of "Feeder equipment."

P

pickup

That's hard to believe.

"

-Bug-

The key phrase being “road equipment”, these shifters are not considered road equipment.

Oh I see the guy above me beat me to the point.

King Of The Mountain

down in a holler
We need a mechanical push button release handle in the cab. We already work too hard and pulling the 5th wheel handle is just too taxing.

It's called a princess switch.

Here ya go, Indy. UPS has some equipment to fit your needs, of course, the trade off is that you lose your AC, and the engine is inches from you, and feels like a heater going full blast. I had a shifting job for 2 years when I first came into feeders. The floor of these is steel and will get so hot that it will burn the bottom of your feet through your boots.

If local hubs leave the keys in and I'm assigned a twin screw for the day I'll snag one to build a set at their hub especially if they have the dolly lock in the front and its a tight spot. Like they say 'Use existing equipment or facilities'.

In my building they get away with removing the A/C by calling the yard birds "Hub equipment" instead of "Feeder equipment."

Do they have hub employees or feeder employees operating them? very worthy of a grievance there.

Knothead

Yep.
It's called a princess switch.

If local hubs leave the keys in and I'm assigned a twin screw for the day I'll snag one to build a set at their hub especially if they have the dolly lock in the front and its a tight spot. Like they say 'Use existing equipment or facilities'.

Do they have hub employees or feeder employees operating them? very worthy of a grievance there.
Most of the jobs are hub employees, extra work is through the feeder department.

King Of The Mountain

down in a holler
Most of the jobs are hub employees, extra work is through the feeder department.
It's half and half here which is why I take a single axle from the boneyard(which the A/C works) and and use that (I got told not to take brand new KW singles to shift in for 14 hours) also since you have to get out multiple times you do less moves and a good amount of exercise which I don't mind at all but by friday on a week long bid I'm climbing out of that tractor like a sloth.

barnyard

KTM rider
Last week, the job that I covered included a couple of trips to the railyard. In the past, it has always taken a load to the railyard and TO back to the hub. Last week, I picked up incoming loads from the railyard to take back to the hub. I asked the check in dude where to find them, he punched in the trailer number and directed me to the general direction of where they were. Saved me lots of time looking, as UPS trailers were parked along 3 different tracks and scattered throughout the trailer overflow parking.
Take away: when you get to the railyard, hit 'done' and 'outbound load' at the gate. Ask the check in dude where to find your load.
Would have been good information to have before I left.

Indecisi0n

Last week, the job that I covered included a couple of trips to the railyard. In the past, it has always taken a load to the railyard and TO back to the hub. Last week, I picked up incoming loads from the railyard to take back to the hub. I asked the check in dude where to find them, he punched in the trailer number and directed me to the general direction of where they were. Saved me lots of time looking, as UPS trailers were parked along 3 different tracks and scattered throughout the trailer overflow parking.
Take away: when you get to the railyard, hit 'done' and 'outbound load' at the gate. Ask the check in dude where to find your load.
Would have been good information to have before I left.
What fun is that?