Johney

Won't matter soon. With this new "best contract ever", gypsies will be pulling most of the rails.
Serious. This contract is a really bad deal.
I doubt they will be here our railyard is only an hour and ten minutes away and the Miami railyard is 15 minutes from Hialeah. And it apparently doesn’t matter what we think about this contract.

over9five

Staff member
I heard yesterday that UPS hasn't renewed their contract with CSX.

Waiting to see how this contract mess sorts out? Might not need all that train space if you're gonna use gypsies...

Johney

Waiting to see how this contract mess sorts out? Might not need all that train space if you're gonna use gypsies...
Never gonna happen here the gypsies charge them $1000 to run a load from Jax to Hialeah during peak and it costs them $300 to put it on the train. Although it’s FEC not CSX. Then again they do know how to waste money.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

They’re haggling over priority. Right now we get top priority since we’re the biggest rail shipper in North America, but demand is so high right now the railroads want to loosen those terms.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
They’re haggling over priority. Right now we get top priority since we’re the biggest rail shipper in North America, but demand is so high right now the railroads want to loosen those terms.

What about NFS? Most of the trailers I see on railcars in HARPA are J.B.Hunt and assorted containers.

barnyard

KTM rider
They’re haggling over priority. Right now we get top priority since we’re the biggest rail shipper in North America

I wondered about that. When the AT&SF bought the BN, UPS was AT&SFs largest dollar volume customer. Before Berkshire Hathaway bought the BNSF, there were rumors that UPS was going to buy them or that the BNSF contacted UPS about buying. I know they contacted UPS about buying the intermodal yard in St Paul.

Anyways... UPS wants guaranteed time in transit or their money back. The railroads want guaranteed volume (use xx many trailers per train, pay for the space on the train, whether you use it or not.) Railroad pricing and contracts are very complex critters. When we see gypsies pulling loads, they might be loads that were on the rails, train was delayed and the RR hired the gypsies to meet the delivery guarantee.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
And it's been kind of amusing how management has reacted to all of this. I'm suppose to be hooked up, sealed and ready to go. But, usually, that doesn't happen.

Lately, however, they have had me hooked up and sealed. Most of the guys hooking me up are the new, street hires. So I've pulled some of those guys aside, and asked them if they've made sure my loads are secured. They all ask me what that means, of course. I tell them what it means, and tell them if they sign my seal, they are responsible for my load. And I tell them if they don't want to seal, or get the load sealed, they need to go get a load bar and seal it.

So now--shocking!--my loads aren't sealed.

And if my seal isn't signed, or the % isn't filled out, and the seal is on, I pull the seal and check. And guess what? No load bar.

Hey, when I'm driving this load down the road, it's my responsibility, and I'm going to know what I'm carrying.

You have other drivers couple your tractor to the loads and pretrip for you, sometimes? I've heard the post office does this but I would not be comfortable with that.

I would be fine with them checking under the hood but would want to verify the kingpins, tires and air/electrical connections at the very least.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You have other drivers couple your tractor to the loads and pretrip for you, sometimes? I've heard the post office does this but I would not be comfortable with that.

I would be fine with them checking under the hood but would want to verify the kingpins, tires and air/electrical connections at the very least.

Our rules are, mileage drivers are supposed to be hooked up and ready to go. It only seems to happen about half of the time, which is okay with us, because then we get our OT from our start time until we leave. Same thing with not having seals or loads being secured.

As far as pre-tripping when we are hooked up, the hook-up guys are supposed to pre-trip our stuff. But we are to pre-trip after that too. There's no way I'm trusting anyone to pre-trip for me. I'm always amazed at drivers to just get in and go. So stupid.

But I don't leave until I'm satisfied with my own eyes.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Our rules are, mileage drivers are supposed to be hooked up and ready to go. It only seems to happen about half of the time, which is okay with us, because then we get our OT from our start time until we leave. Same thing with not having seals or loads being secured.

As far as pre-tripping when we are hooked up, the hook-up guys are supposed to pre-trip our stuff. But we are to pre-trip after that too. There's no way I'm trusting anyone to pre-trip for me. I'm always amazed at drivers to just get in and go. So stupid.

But I don't leave until I'm satisfied with my own eyes.

It's amazing how different the same company can be.

We get all SW, TA and FW time work paid with the choice of SW or FW paid at 1.5x. Sets are usually built, but many times guys consider backing a dolly underneath building a set, so you usually have a little time finishing it up.

Other drivers we meet are paid a flat time per day. 1.5 hours for meet point and 2 hours for going to a hub unless they meet certain restrictions for delay pay.

Another building told me they forfeit like 10 minutes on SW but get 1.5x on the rest of SW and all FW. Their TA time is all straight time.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We are supposed to be set up, and then get paid mileage for road driving. At meet points, we get 20 minutes straight time, and one hub we get 20 minutes straight and 20 minutes OT. All delay time, including building sets, hooking up single trailers, breakdowns, and as I said earlier, getting seal, load bars, is paid at OT going back to your start time. Also, by the rules, we are supposed to just park when we get back, but often they ask us to breakdown, fuel and wash. This is also paid at OT, from the time you hit the gate, until you clock out. Any delays at meet points, above the 20 minute allotted time, is also paid at OT.

over9five

Staff member
20181014_161103.jpg

Check out the pajamas!!

This is what UPS is moving toward. A guy in pajamas with his truck on fire pulling our trailers....