Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
So I heard a sup telling a new guy that when it's really cold during winter to not use the trailer brakes when parked for extending periods of times because the brakes can lock up .I'd feel very uneasy about not setting both brakes and leaving the vehicle.
We have been trained the same way. Only pull the yellow valve when parking. The red valve is not to be used as a parking brake.

brostalss

I’ve been a long time lurker and could not remember the username I’ve created a few years back. I’ve been in the Feeder department for roughly 4 months (rookie) and I can count with one hand of all the drivers that are actually very helpful and give out great advice. The rest of the seasoned drivers are either too good or too “cool” to acknowledge the new guys. Almost with a snobby-like attitude and a sense of entitlement. Complete opposite from when I worked packaged. I just keep to myself nowadays and call my on-road sup with any questions. Are all feeder department the same? :confused2:

Sorry to hear that. I've been Feeder for nine months. Nothing but good advice and help when I ask for it. I ask a lot.

Johney

We have been trained the same way. Only pull the yellow valve when parking. The red valve is not to be used as a parking brake.
I was also trained that way but refuse to do it. I pop both when parking, but freezing lines is not an issue here so it is what it is. I also refused to leave a standard tractor in neutral when I left it parked. I was always told by the old timers you can never have too much holding everything in place.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
So I heard a sup telling a new guy that when it's really cold during winter to not use the trailer brakes when parked for extending periods of times because the brakes can lock up .I'd feel very uneasy about not setting both brakes and leaving the vehicle.

Here's why: if it is cold and there is any precipitation--fog, snow or rain--it doesn't take much for your trailer brakes to freeze up if they're engaged. If that happens, you'll have no choice but to get a hammer and crawl under the trailer axles and beat on the brake pads to knock them loose from the the drums. And you can't usually tell which ones are frozen. Which means you'll have to beat on all of them. With a set of doubles, this is a pain.

And this usually happens in snow, so you'll be crawling around on the ground, getting soaked. And sometimes, even beating on the pads won't release them. One time, I did all that, got soaked, and still couldn't get them to release. Lucky for me, another trucker saw me, and put his chains on my hooks and drug me enough to get the brakes broken free.

Trust me, you do this once, that will be enough for you. And unless you are on some crazy incline, your tractor brakes will hold you fine.

Indecisi0n

Here's why: if it is cold and there is any precipitation--fog, snow or rain--it doesn't take much for your trailer brakes to freeze up if they're engaged. If that happens, you'll have no choice but to get a hammer and crawl under the trailer axles and beat on the brake pads to knock them loose from the the drums. And you can't usually tell which ones are frozen. Which means you'll have to beat on all of them. With a set of doubles, this is a pain.

And this usually happens in snow, so you'll be crawling around on the ground, getting soaked. And sometimes, even beating on the pads won't release them. One time, I did all that, got soaked, and still couldn't get them to release. Lucky for me, another trucker saw me, and put his chains on my hooks and drug me enough to get the brakes broken free.

Trust me, you do this once, that will be enough for you. And unless you are on some crazy incline, your tractor brakes will hold you fine.
I totally understand what you're saying but still makes me feel uneasy . Guess maybe I am still just overly cautious.

trickpony1

Here's why: if it is cold and there is any precipitation--fog, snow or rain--it doesn't take much for your trailer brakes to freeze up if they're engaged.

I'm hesitant to suggest this because someone will screw it up but...

Listen REAL CLOSE...

-pull the hand lever down just a little bit,
After you pull on property and you are driving real slow looking for a parking spot simply:
-this engage the trailer brakes just enough to heat them up and dry them off.

-perhaps you could "feather" the hand lever, just a little bit, so that it alternately engages and releases the trailer brakes.

-I did this for a CPU trailer that I had to spot in the late evening, after all the employees had left...I never had froze up brakes.

Johney

Listen REAL CLOSE...

After you pull on property and you are driving real slow looking for a parking spot simply:

-perhaps you could "feather" the hand lever, just a little bit, so that it alternately engages and releases the trailer brakes.

-I did this for a CPU trailer that I had to spot in the late evening, after all the employees had left...I never had froze up brakes.
Makes sense.

Johney

Practice it now and in a safe location.
You'll feel the trailer brakes "pull down" the truck.

If the yard is a solid sheet of ice, you should be very, very careful so your trailers don't swing out.
Great idea although I don't need to practice it, where I'm at or going nothing is freezing up.

Indecisi0n

Listen REAL CLOSE...

Is prefer this method over the other. I guess the only time you really sit this long with a trailer is CPU. nothing you can do about waiting on loaded trailers .

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well there is nothing you can do about that .I'm talking about having a trailer on your back then stopping with it and not using the brakes to prevent them locking up .

I have never set the trailer brakes while on meal, breakdown, waiting on the sort, etc.

Sometimes it has been hours.

Was trained not to, and don't worry about the tractor brakes not holding everything.

Just habit now, pop the yellow only and it doesn't worry me at all.

barnyard

KTM rider

Listen REAL CLOSE...

I am pretty sure you posted darn near this same post 3 or 4 years ago. I have done it and it works.