Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Yeet

Yeet Inbound, turnaround, go to town

I get all the other stuff but twirling the handle?? I think you’re being a little ridiculous on that one. Who the hell doesn’t do that?

2. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

He doesn't! He doesn't do anything unsafe....ever.
    AW302981_14.gif

3. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

I get the feeling he doesn't actually do much beyond yard safety patrol and attending meetings to organize the next safety cookout.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Yeet

Yeet Inbound, turnaround, go to town

Of course he doesn’t do much, it takes him 20 minutes to drop and raise the landing gear.

5. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

Are you saying I'm fat?

6. No. Never said that. I said the door frame was never designed to handle that much weight basically. It was designed to support the weight of the door. Remember all this when you get in that ratty, drafty, see light through the door frame, sprung hinges, piece of crap tractor. You know. The one you stuff rags in the door frame to stop drafts in a very cold winter...Simple enough for you to understand?

7. If you ever hit yourself in the face, knock your teeth out, maybe lose an eye. Those folks don't.

8. Why do you care how long it takes? You are getting paid. That's how you were trained. It's all right there in your attitude. "Takes too long" "I don't have to do that" "That's dumb" "I'll never get hurt"
    But then, are you the guy that only follows methods when there is someone watching?

9. No, I make mistakes every day. There is a difference though in deliberately being obstinate and unsafe. Deliberate. Want to be stupid. I can't fix stupid. But we can move heaven and earth to try and stop you from hurting or killing an innocent victim. Example: I get passed everyday in a work zone by a UPS mileage driver. Speeding. Why? Saves 30 seconds? Why? Can you imagine having an accident and perhaps killing a worker in that work zone. With telematics, it's all there. Remember the Walmart driver hitting the college bus in Cali.? Sued out of existence. He had a laundry list of violations, which he ignored. To save time no doubt.

10. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Are you management ?

11. It's not about enforcement. It's about eliminating a recurring hazard. I would think your business would include a safe work space. Why do you think we train? Granted, it's not fun-not supposed to be. But you are getting paid. I work alone and unsupervised too. 12 hours a day on the road, so I go about my duties carefully too. We train because the human condition tends toward the path of least resistance. Example: You wear eye and hearing protection using power tools. So, you won't lose an eye or your hearing thus not being employable. Or perhaps getting fitted for those new hearing aids. That's why. And that's why we train. It's in there.

12. Do you?

13. Nope. we(collectively). I spend time on the road and in the yard. We(you and me) will be the victims of stupidly, obstinate, deliberate unsafe behavior.

14. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Yes I do. I have used a very similar one.

15. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Off the street newbie.... on the safety committee ?

16. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

How is it about me? I follow my training and did nothing wrong.

17. Reading your posts makes me want to hit myself in the face.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  18. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

Lots of our guys use hammocks but not that expensive lounger. Most any cheap hammock will do, I prefer a net kind for air flow.

The cab is designed to hold the weight of the entire tractor with the doors closed (set upside down, not with variable accident forces according to a former automotive engineering friend of mine), so these won't damage the doors. Opening and closing, pulling on the door as you climb up does more damage over time. The Kenworths and Freightliners doors seal much tighter than the Macks ever did. New Freightliners will sound the horn if you don't shut the door with the window cracked so it seals tight.

A well rested Feeder driver is the safest Feeder driver.

19. JoeLouis8850

JoeLouis8850 New Member

Is there a general rule regarding arm injury and working? I.E. I have an arm injury requiring me to wear a sling. Will I be allowed to work one handed? I am confident that I can do everything required if permitted.

20. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

Your doctor and the Company doctor would have to release you to be able to fully perform every aspect of the job, and I don't see that happening with one arm in a sling.