Indecisi0n

I'm surprised such a small building has any sleeper runs. What do they do when a sleeper driver calls out at the last minute? Can they force the bottom coverage driver to ride with them if no one else takes the job?

We have last minute sleeper work all the time but can't be forced in my building.
No one can be forced into a sleeper run.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
No one can be forced into a sleeper run.

That may be true in your local but sleeper work in my district is different from building to building. Pay is the same but how runs are bid and who covers them is different.

There are sleeper coverage and sleeper intent lists that can open the bottom seniority drivers to being forced on runs. We haven't had it happen yet but the company is saying the bottom person would be forced and I've heard the union agrees with this position because the drivers voluntarily signed for this work and have the option to get off the lists yearly.

Indecisi0n

That may be true in your local but sleeper work in my district is different from building to building. Pay is the same but how runs are bid and who covers them is different.

There are sleeper coverage and sleeper intent lists that can open the bottom seniority drivers to being forced on runs. We haven't had it happen yet but the company is saying the bottom person would be forced and I've heard the union agrees with this position because the drivers voluntarily signed for this work and have the option to get off the lists yearly.
Sleeping teams is a whole different animal. They shouldn't be allowed to force drivers into it. Me personally would never do it forced or not.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm surprised such a small building has any sleeper runs. What do they do when a sleeper driver calls out at the last minute? Can they force the bottom coverage driver to ride with them if no one else takes the job?

We have last minute sleeper work all the time but can't be forced in my building.
I'm at an outlying center as well (20 runs) and they just gave us a sleeper run too. At the same time they bid the sleeper run they also hung a bid for sleeper cover. Nobody can be forced on to sleeper here.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!

Our 2 sleeper runs started late January this year. They hired 9 new feeder drivers late last year. They all had an understanding that they may be used for the new sleeper runs / coverage. Although technically they can’t be forced, it was made known to them when they signed on.

We are big enough of a center that we build a ZZZ to Chicago nightly. We receive one daily from Chicago too. Hence why we got sleeper jobs.

over9five

Staff member
Our 2 sleeper runs started late January this year. They hired 9 new feeder drivers late last year. They all had an understanding that they may be used for the new sleeper runs / coverage. Although technically they can’t be forced, it was made known to them when they signed on.
Sounds like an extra-contractual agreement?