trickpony1

I once had a ORS come out to see what I was doing as I hooked up my set.

ORS: You're not making your pull time.
Me: I'm hooking my set.
ORS: when you're pull time gets here you need to punch LV.
ORS: No, you're in the "act of leaving".
Me: No, I'm in the act of hooking my set.
ORS: No, you're in the "act of leaving"....just do it.
Me: Do you want me to falsify my IVIS?
ORS: You aren't falsifying anything. You're in the act of leaving.
Me: whatever.

Honesty and integrity.....gotta love it.

Phineas

Posted in ORS office

Attachments

• IMG_1072.jpeg
    IMG_1072.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 40

qdg2

In my mind it should be no less than 30 minutes, and I take about 45. Probably 20 mins or so at a minimum for your tractor, then find and hook up to your trailer, and then another 5-10 mins for that. The tractor takes me around 30 alone. I don't just fire it up and stomp on the throttle to build air though, I let the rig warm up and build its air at idle, brake test, rebuild air at idle.

If they really wanna start riding guys you can always bring safety into question, that usually slows the conversation down a little. "Are you asking me to shortcut safety to get on road?"

The key is being consistent.
Being consistently late or whatever is what draws attention in my experience.

Sometimes finding the trailer could be maddeningly time consuming. Here, trailers could be anywhere on a big yard. Walking up and down rows of tractors for hundreds of yards looking for yours too. Then there are delays in the hub, trailer condition/problems etc.

Our mgt team taught and expected you to start and build air pressure at the highest possible rpm(not redline) at any engine temp(ice cold ok). Pkg car too. They(mgt) could have cared less.

See, there are all kinds of drivers......some would detail their tractor every day......making them late etc. Some did no pretrip and sped all over the yard trying to make that pull time and did dangerous stuff.

I am a pilot. My preflights are always about the same. Watch an airline pilot do a preflight on a huge and complicated airliner......it's pretty basic and limited. A tractor IMHO, SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME.

Most of my pretrips took a few minutes. I rarely broke drown with most being flats many miles down the road.

The pretrips for the cdl tests are insane.
I had a run that started with a bobtail out and the schedule was 13 minutes to leave.

When I was scheduled to leave with a set it was 33 minutes from clock in. A single is 19 minutes. I imagine these are different depending on the run but I don't really know or care.

I basically never leave on time. Leaving with a set in 45 minutes is a good day. I've heard over an hour of property time without time coded to something triggers a report, but I'm not sure.

Honestly it's a pretty crappy management choice to pressure new drivers about property time, they just need to be careful.
Best statement I've ever read on BC.

And yes, excessive over-allowed triggers reports.......always has. That's what brings focus on folks and all the rest. They won't get you for productivity per se.......but it will be something else....because you bring attention and they start watching.

Pretty soon....you walk out with a hotdog and mountain dew.....

qdg2

I once had a ORS come out to see what I was doing as I hooked up my set.

ORS: You're not making your pull time.
ORS: when you're pull time gets here you need to punch LV.
ORS: No, you're in the "act of leaving".
Me: No, I'm in the act of hooking my set.
ORS: No, you're in the "act of leaving"....just do it.
Me: Do you want me to falsify my IVIS?
ORS: You aren't falsifying anything. You're in the act of leaving.
Me: whatever.

Honesty and integrity.....gotta love it.
Fascinating isn't it?

My advice: Ask to record him verbatim on film. Or even in writing. Better yet with a steward present. This of course has all kinds of potential fallout.....

ManInBrown

This isn’t package you leave when it’s safe to do so and you’ve completed all pre trips and everything else you need to do. They can pound sand if they have a problem with it.

Being consistently late or whatever is what draws attention in my experience.

Sometimes finding the trailer could be maddeningly time consuming. Here, trailers could be anywhere on a big yard. Walking up and down rows of tractors for hundreds of yards looking for yours too. Then there are delays in the hub, trailer condition/problems etc.

Our mgt team taught and expected you to start and build air pressure at the highest possible rpm(not redline) at any engine temp(ice cold ok). Pkg car too. They(mgt) could have cared less.

See, there are all kinds of drivers......some would detail their tractor every day......making them late etc. Some did no pretrip and sped all over the yard trying to make that pull time and did dangerous stuff.

I am a pilot. My preflights are always about the same. Watch an airline pilot do a preflight on a huge and complicated airliner......it's pretty basic and limited. A tractor IMHO, SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME.

Most of my pretrips took a few minutes. I rarely broke drown with most being flats many miles down the road.

The pretrips for the cdl tests are insane.

Best statement I've ever read on BC.

And yes, excessive over-allowed triggers reports.......always has. That's what brings focus on folks and all the rest. They won't get you for productivity per se.......but it will be something else....because you bring attention and they start watching.

Pretty soon....you walk out with a hotdog and mountain dew.....
Neat.

My management team respects that I don't abuse the equipment. What you call insane, I call thorough and routine. I check out my tractor as if I had a DOT officer walking with me. If a sup decides he needs to look over my shoulder, the anchor drops and thorough becomes meticulous. @104Feeder can tell you how it is here, when they get bored with you, they move on.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Neat.

My management team respects that I don't abuse the equipment. What you call insane, I call thorough and routine. I check out my tractor as if I had a DOT officer walking with me. If a sup decides he needs to look over my shoulder, the anchor drops and thorough becomes meticulous. @104Feeder can tell you how it is here, when they get bored with you, they move on.

He’s a runner gunner just doin what they do

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We got one guy paralyzed from the waist down cuz he was comfortable too.
You never know if your co-driver had a bad weekend, got in a fight with the wife, didnt get any sleep, whatever.
You're really putting your life in his hands. I could never do that.
That was awful , I'll never forget that news ! 😥

Cowboy Mac

I start at 15:15 and I'm scheduled to leave with a set at 15:41....rarely happens.
Yeah good luck with that.

Here I was told in training that to pre trip a tractor should take 7 minutes. Okay. Sometimes I can do that and be thorough, sometimes it takes me 10-15 if I can’t find the tractor or if it is an older one with no light test button, or takes a long time to build air.

They told me that to pre trip a single should take about 15 minutes and to build a set should take 32 minutes. The single is no problem, but the set usually takes me about 45 minutes to an hour depending on many factors.

DOT says the driver shall satisfy himself with the condition of the equipment.

It is a violation of the STAA for a company to discipline or threaten to discipline a driver for taking “too long” on a pre-trip inspection.

govols019

You smell that?
Yeah good luck with that.

Here I was told in training that to pre trip a tractor should take 7 minutes. Okay. Sometimes I can do that and be thorough, sometimes it takes me 10-15 if I can’t find the tractor or if it is an older one with no light test button, or takes a long time to build air.

They told me that to pre trip a single should take about 15 minutes and to build a set should take 32 minutes. The single is no problem, but the set usually takes me about 45 minutes to an hour depending on many factors.

DOT says the driver shall satisfy himself with the condition of the equipment.

It is a violation of the STAA for a company to discipline or threaten to discipline a driver for taking “too long” on a pre-trip inspection.

The only time I ever make it is if a clean set is already together.

I'm just taking an empty set to a CPU on my first leg...nobody has ever said a word to me about making my pull time for that leg....now, my pull time from the hub they watch like a hawk...they make sure the sort supervisor knows I have to leave on time.

That's this month, though...next month it'll be that you can't pull until the trailer is 100% and pull times won't matter.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm just taking an empty set to a CPU on my first leg...nobody has ever said a word to me about making my pull time for that leg....now, my pull time from the hub they watch like a hawk...they make sure the sort supervisor knows I have to leave on time.

That's this month, though...next month it'll be that you can't pull until the trailer is 100% and pull times won't matter.
Do you put down 2 and 1 when the set is already put together? I’ve had sups say to do that since you’re still pretripping 3 pieces of equipment and others that say you only put in 1 for handling one trailer since it’s already built.

Cowboy Mac

Do you put down 2 and 1 when the set is already put together? I’ve had sups say to do that since you’re still pretripping 3 pieces of equipment and others that say you only put in 1 for handling one trailer since it’s already built.
2 and 1 because that’s how much equipment you are outbounding.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
We got one guy paralyzed from the waist down cuz he was comfortable too.
You never know if your co-driver had a bad weekend, got in a fight with the wife, didnt get any sleep, whatever.
You're really putting your life in his hands. I could never do that.
We had a sleeper team perish about 5 years ago coming back from Texas. It happens, be safe out there guys.

OneDriver

We had a sleeper team perish about 5 years ago coming back from Texas. It happens, be safe out there guys.

It’s not easy driving in mountains at night…in snow, ice and wind. Too bad some drivers don’t respect that. Lucky I drive with a guy with many years of experience. Imagine driving with rookie straight out of school. Some of them can’t even stay awake at nights

OneDriver

Sorry, I waalked away from my computer for a few days since I'm on vacation.

To answer your question, the number keeps going up. The last number I heard was 600 but who knows. I know a year ago we had 262 and today I was just informeed we have 418 drivers on books. So we are training them like crazy.

Yes, it is pretty big. Not quite as big as SMAGA but it is pretty large.

At Cach there is almost 1200 and they still hiring