qdg2

It is interesting to sit in "safety meetings" and discuss "safety"........my experience was that NOBODY was interested in yard safety(what we are talking about here). Maybe, only after someone was killed......often though, not even then.

What some people would do to save 2 minutes.......and just a little effort.

The company had a template for safety meetings...big thick binders.....Union ran away from safety....the goal being none. That way fried chicken and pizza kept flowing......lot's of overtime....and the unsafe(stupid) folks kept their jobs......

What is fascinating: Most of these unsafe practices are done in bright clear view for all to see. Therefore......condoned and tolerated.....dare say encouraged. Especially by leadership.......this includes the Company and the Union.

qdg2

In didn't see it happen, but I saw the result. Knocked the whole door in off the tracks down at WORMA several years ago. Full 100% load (now squished to about 98!).
Dragged it to the shop, last I saw mechanics were scratching their heads unsure of how to fix it.
Around here, might have used a forklift to pull the door clean off and just unload and reload in another trailer. Have seen it done.

Service failures but they got down the road.

I am a Class A CDL holder whom is restricted to the automatic tractor. My question is, is there any accommodation that could be made to someone who is in the predicament of not being able to remove the restriction due to medical reasons? I know a lot of the facilities have a lot of both auto and man.

But when I applied last year, I had a hard time getting any answer of accommodation back because during the UPS hiring process, they use a 3rd party agency to handle applications, and there was a heavy language barrier on the other parties' end.

Even though I am not apart of the UPS Teamsters Union, or pay dues - would contacting them be a help for this situation if I wanted to pursue a career there later?

----

Note:

There is no way for me to contact my local terminal - I don't believe they'd even let me inside if I went, lol.

Cementups

Box Monkey
How long are you out and do you go the same places every week?
Normally our bid are 6 months but this time is 5. We had to hold off our 6 month bids becuase of sleeper reoptimization.
Yes, we go to the same places every week. Our new runs starts Tuesday. We go from EZRPA to CACH, then to Billings, MT, then to St. Paul, MN, the to Bethlehem, PA and back to EZRPA. just over 4k miles. Start Tueday 0030 and finish Friday 0530 (77hours)

Cementups

Box Monkey
I am a Class A CDL holder whom is restricted to the automatic tractor. My question is, is there any accommodation that could be made to someone who is in the predicament of not being able to remove the restriction due to medical reasons? I know a lot of the facilities have a lot of both auto and man.

But when I applied last year, I had a hard time getting any answer of accommodation back because during the UPS hiring process, they use a 3rd party agency to handle applications, and there was a heavy language barrier on the other parties' end.

Even though I am not apart of the UPS Teamsters Union, or pay dues - would contacting them be a help for this situation if I wanted to pursue a career there later?

----

Note:

There is no way for me to contact my local terminal - I don't believe they'd even let me inside if I went, lol.
The best you can do is apply. The worst they will say is no. I know at our new building we have a bunch who have automatic accommodations. Plus 90% of our fleet is all automatic now.

Johney

----

Note:

Although there probably aren’t many standard shift tractors left I doubt you can go feeders with an automatic restriction on your license. I could be wrong though. I just know when I went into feeders you couldn’t.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
How long are you out and do you go the same places every week?
Sleeper jobs are bid like other jobs. They go to the same places every week. I believe the sleeper jobs bid once every 6 months. However, during peak, you bid your job every week, and they (Louisville) changes your job while you're out on the road, you have to WAD. Some people bid jobs because of the $$ (5000+miles/week.) Some folks bid it for the length of time worked (We have some 3 day jobs from Texas to California and back) Jobs are usually around 5 days in length. Some are a little longer, some shorter. Some start Sunday night and get off Friday morning. One good aspect is you only have to drive to work 1 time per week.

qdg2

Sleeper jobs are bid like other jobs. They go to the same places every week. I believe the sleeper jobs bid once every 6 months. However, during peak, you bid your job every week, and they (Louisville) changes your job while you're out on the road, you have to WAD. Some people bid jobs because of the $$ (5000+miles/week.) Some folks bid it for the length of time worked (We have some 3 day jobs from Texas to California and back) Jobs are usually around 5 days in length. Some are a little longer, some shorter. Some start Sunday night and get off Friday morning. One good aspect is you only have to drive to work 1 time per week.
There are some day layovers and they can be at home base. It's hard to imagine sleeping in that tractor at home hub....20 miles from a hot shower and your own bed. It would have been really nice to make the same money and stay in a hotel for one night a week. I would have in a heartbeat. Even if your Wife or such met you for dinner with the kids say......somebody's still driving.

Lot's of folks can work really crappy days too. Low man stuff......Thurs-Mon....stuff like that. Don't forget bumping. It can be chronic and very disruptive. Just like in brown truck.

I felt even lousier than brown truck when I was in sleepers. Zombie for no sleep/rest. Why do you think everyone looks like they do in truck stops? In the end, they couldn't pay me enough.

qdg2

The best you can do is apply. The worst they will say is no. I know at our new building we have a bunch who have automatic accommodations. Plus 90% of our fleet is all automatic now.
ADA accommodations? Or UPS's? And did they get hired as such? Or become that way? And bid feeders impaired?

Cementups

Box Monkey
ADA accommodations? Or UPS's? And did they get hired as such? Or become that way? And bid feeders impaired?
A lot of ADA accommodations but with the amount we’ve been hiring at EZRPA I have no doubt that we have some automatic only drivers. Plus we only have a handful of manual trucks and they aren’t given out much. We have over 400 drivers sometimes we need to dip into the extra truck pile.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Not all locations bid every 6 months. I was just speaking with a Louisville driver and he said they bid for life or until CMG reomptimizes the runs (like last month).
Also not all places bid the holidays week by week. At EZRPA we currently have to just run what we are assigned for those holiday weeks. That may be changing soon though.

A lot of ADA accommodations but with the amount we’ve been hiring at EZRPA I have no doubt that we have some automatic only drivers. Plus we only have a handful of manual trucks and they aren’t given out much. We have over 400 drivers sometimes we need to dip into the extra truck pile.

Who could I get in contact with locally who could speak on my behalf? My local union? I'm clueless as to what I should do before applying when that time comes, I already tried their HR and they replied back with a pre-wrote response about ADA accommodations.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Who could I get in contact with locally who could speak on my behalf? My local union? I'm clueless as to what I should do before applying when that time comes, I already tried their HR and they replied back with a pre-wrote response about ADA accommodations.
Yeah if you could get ahold of a UPS rep from the local union they may be able to help. They won’t help you get the job per se. Or I would even go to the facility you are looking at working if it’s reasonable to get to. It may depend on their demand for drivers as well. Some places only hire once every few years, meanwhile my building has hired 150 drivers in the last year.