104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Another question:

If I remember the Q-list correctly, one's "seniority date" is the day one was added to the list, regardless of their actually company date. However, once a person is placed in the actual Feeder dept, then regular seniority rules kick in; in our local we dove-tail in, not that it'll matter much to me for awhile, since I only have 10 years in full-time. Is this how the Q-list works?

Incidentally, there will be another meeting Tuesday morning for the guys in our building who didn't make it Friday (I missed a train I had to take to get there on time, and then on top of that went to the wrong location for the meeting, nearly on the other side of the building, and our hub is a nice walk from end-to-end; used to have a sup here who'd walk the perimeter several times a day to get her exercise in); I intend to be at that meeting as well, on-time so I can get everything again.

You would need a copy of your work rules for your specific location to verify how seniority works. Here you are end tailed as you come in but selected to qualify based on your Company seniority. So some people below me have more actual Company seniority because they didn't take the opportunity to go to Feeders the first time it was offered to them, or they disqualified themselves in the first week (now if you do that you are permanently disqualified).

I'm glad you are asking these questions, as here we have changed how we orientate the new transfers due to some bad situations with people qualifying for Feeders then deciding it's not for them. Here it's a 3 year committment unless you want to give up all your Package seniority for a year and become the bottom utility driver. Now we have a Steward come in and give a 'come to Jesus' talk to the new drivers on the first day so everyone is clear what they are signing up for. Yes you will be working on Sunday, Mothers Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and New Years Eve. Yes you can expect a call 8 hours into your 10 hours off to report in 2 hours. Yes you should expect to be sent on Sleeper at any time. Yes you will be on nights one week then days, without rhyme or reason etc, etc.
It's not for everyone, but most love the job for once.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
For me, the parallel park was the most difficult.

After practicing for hours in the yard, where I got decent at it....

Didn't even have to do it on the CDL test. That pissed me off.

-Bug-
I just did it blind and hoped for the best lol. I only lost one point as I used it for my pull up on the alley dock test to make it a straight back. I still pretty much suck at backing up 28' trailers but give me a 48' or 53' and a twin screw and I can put it most anywhere.

I just did it blind and hoped for the best lol. I only lost one point as I used it for my pull up on the alley dock test to make it a straight back. I still pretty much suck at backing up 28' trailers but give me a 48' or 53' and a twin screw and I can put it most anywhere.

I like to rub in backing a dolly on the back of a 28'.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We don't have "q-list seniority" here, q-list drivers select work in order of their full time seniority date. For vacations everyone bids together in full time seniority order, so we have q-list drivers who pick their weeks ahead of regular feeder drivers.
We had a bunch of guys retire last year and more expected this year, I just received my bid rights (goodbye forever to package) and they are fixing to add about 25 more q-list drivers in the district.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have guys who can hero hook a set like it's nothing, I'm not one of them. Nice skill to have when it's pouring down rain though.

Now that I can do most of the time but sometimes it's just goes wherever it wants no matter what I'm trying to do. As long as you aren't breaking valves & gladhands it's all good I guess.

Tip: as you look in the mirror mentally remove the trailer and make steering adjustments as if the dolly was the only piece of equipment back there. As always, if you see the dolly make a big move and its in the wrong direction it's time to pull it up straight again.

It's cake. Sometimes I'll show off with a coffee in one hand. :)

We have guys who can hero hook a set like it's nothing, I'm not one of them. Nice skill to have when it's pouring down rain though.

I remember the first time I pulled it off. You would have thought I won the Super Bowl the way I came out of the cab.

The pisser is when you get the call to fix a situation because no one else can. We had a dolly go bad on a hot preload trailer and I had to back it on the wall using the dolly on the back of my tractor to steer the back box it was stuck to in place in the bay. They gave me a "get out of jail free" card on any minor scratches so it was game on.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

.... they disqualified themselves in the first week (now if you do that you are permanently disqualified).
Thankfully, here if you disqualify yourself you just have to wait two years before trying again.

I'm glad you are asking these questions, as here we have changed how we orientate the new transfers due to some bad situations with people qualifying for Feeders then deciding it's not for them. Here it's a 3 year committment unless you want to give up all your Package seniority for a year and become the bottom utility driver. Now we have a Steward come in and give a 'come to Jesus' talk to the new drivers on the first day so everyone is clear what they are signing up for. Yes you will be working on Sunday, Mothers Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and New Years Eve. Yes you can expect a call 8 hours into your 10 hours off to report in 2 hours. Yes you should expect to be sent on Sleeper at any time. Yes you will be on nights one week then days, without rhyme or reason etc, etc.

It's not for everyone, but most love the job, for once.

Had a driver here who trained, got his CDL, and then realized a couple months in it wasn't for him. For all intents purposes, he apparently forced them to let him return to package. I have no idea how he did it; I thought the only way to break the commitment (two years here) was to quit. He said it is part of our contract that we can get out even after our training is over, but both the company and the Union will give you a hard way to go. Given the amount of resources committed to training a driver for their CDL, I was surprised he was able to come back. I've begun to wonder if there is any teeth to the "commitment" should one decide to break it.

Myself, despite knowing that he was able to back out I have made up my mind it'll be a two year commitment once I start training. I'll make it work those two years.

barnyard

KTM rider
I thought it was a 3 year commitment. No matter. I will never be a year round feeder guy, so I will do it for a few weeks every year and that will be fine.

MaceFremonti

They frown on us hero hooking on the East Coast. We had two veteran guys pretty much put dollies through the front of their back trailer hours apart from each other....:eek:

I'm happy as hell when I can put my dolly right where I want it in the dolly patch without having to unhook it from the front trailer and push it there!

Sent using BrownCafe App