ManInBrown

If sleeper is all that's available and you don't want it, then you can take a layoff, go on super Q, and eventually bump back to package.
Can’t do that everywhere. There is no going back to package in the 177. And there is no lay-off or on call either. The only drivers that get laid off here, are bottom of list when vacations are slim. There is no voluntary layoff.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Can’t do that everywhere. There is no going back to package in the 177. And there is no lay-off or on call either. The only drivers that get laid off here, are bottom of list when vacations are slim. There is no voluntary layoff.
Can they force you on sleeper?

quad decade guy

Of course you can be layed off. Anywhere. Anytime. Right?

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What is super Q? They will cut all mileage runs make only local runs for day-cabers? I'm not sure if my local allows bumping back into packages. Think it's only split shift inside work.
It's basically feeder layoff. You select work after vacation cover but before anyone on the Q list. If you guys don't have a Q list then you dont have super Q either so it doesn't apply to you. You'll have to refer to your own layoff language.

Pickles

We have had a ridiculous amount of sleeper teams come in. Our M-friend guys are bobtailing home because the teams are taking their loads. To top it off, the sleeper teams are contractors. Putting in pointless runs that they don't even have real employees moving because they don't have team guys trained yet.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Can they force you on sleeper?

Where I am the answer is no unless you signed a feeder bid that had sleeper specifically mentioned in the job description. One of our new drivers told me they now include some sleeper training and fill out their ramp certification paperwork during feeder school.

I've heard our Union's position is this is not allowed. Up to now, senior drivers have been taking all of our new sleeper bids so this has yet to be an issue.

Mack37

Chicago is adding 500 sleeper runs Indianapolis 200. What's going On? Will we all have to be sleeper drivers? Not what I signed up for.

Indy will definitely be hiring a bunch off the street then. They only keep around 40 seasonal’s and hardly anyone comes over from package anymore. We’ll see.

barnyard

KTM rider
I live on the mainline for the BNSF that runs between Chicago and Seattle. I also watch trains. I have seen a definite reduction in the number of UPS trailers I see on trains. It used to be fairly common to see 20-30+ on a train, now more than 10 is kind of rare.

5 years ago, we were screaming to get the loads off the rails....

xkingx

Part time going into feeders. After two years you decide feeders isn’t for you. Do you go back to part time position and pay?
or do you get to get your guaranteed 8,however company chooses, and keep your feeder pay?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Part time going into feeders. After two years you decide feeders isn’t for you. Do you go back to part time position and pay?
or do you get to get your guaranteed 8,however company chooses, and keep your feeder pay?

yep if you wash out of feeders

you just wonder around the hub making $40 an hour

ManInBrown

They hold special positions for drivers like that here, you keep your pay and they will usually let you hang out in the break room all day or they just let you go home like the rubber room for the New York City teachers that have gotten in trouble.