Better Not Bigger

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Imagine a new CEO coming in and saying we're not going to grow. That's literally what she declared.
She got rid of whatever wasn’t making money and not letting shippers drop 5 extra trailers that nobody knows any thing about that would blow the whole sort up
Smart business if you ask me

Commercial Inside Release

Well, there are limits to sustainable growth...
Can't get much more than 300 jets to take off, in a 3-4 hour morning and still meet service commitments, without building another Worldport.

That second port would frequently have to be shut down due to the economy, geo-politics, domestic bipartisan squabbles, natural disasters, etc. Mothballing it would cost a fortune.

Pullman Brown

Imagine a new CEO coming in and saying we're not going to grow. That's literally what she declared.

UPS would have 3-5 billion more dollars in the bank if it had that philosophy/better not bigger 4-10 years ago. Especially while Amazon was desperate while building its delivery infrastructure! Were you with the company from 2013-2020?

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
UPS helped Amazon become the success it has become. If UPS would have done what Fed-X did and told Amazon to go pound sand as soon as they found out Amazon was becoming a competitor it would have set Amazon back years. Amazon would not of been able to keep up with shipping causing long wait times for customers packages to arrive. One of the main reason Amazon became the success it has is because of their fast shipping.
Seems to me UPS didn’t “get the big picture” but instead jumped on a quick profit.

Last edited:

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Low margin is still better than no margin. Better not bigger sounded great, problem was that something that created to curb Amazon was unfortunately used against our real customers. Target, Costco, Kohls, Macys, they were all thrown under the bus by us. If you notice our volume from those companies have been greatly reduced. They couldn’t wait to go elsewhere after we refused to pick up their volume.