Big announcement coming in Jan

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Was told the same thing last friday. Was also told we may take some ground pick ups

How do you guys sort the 2 and 3 day volume? If it flys to the final city in one day it’d be easy to truck that to the local Ground hub and make service the following day. If they plan on entirely trucking a lot of it that’s probably a lot more complicated, but would get greater returns.

I know for my station there are at least 2 different Ground terminals that overlap our zip codes. So if they’re planning on trucking it from Express to Ground, it will need to be separated daily to those different terminals.

Some of our 2-Day packages actually arrive at our station on the 2nd day and may not even be ready to go anywhere until 9am (or later if our freight is late). Not sure how that would work for Ground’s dispatch times.
Regardless, get ready for a big hot mess.

bbsam

Staff member
If its a Tues/wed pkg that come down the belt on Mon, its going in my truck for del. friend ground. got mouths to feed at home
That’s part of the problem with Express. You’ve made a mockery of service by holding up delivery like that. If it shows up a day early, WTF! Deliver it!

El Morado Diablo

That’s part of the problem with Express. You’ve made a mockery of service by holding up delivery like that. If it shows up a day early, WTF! Deliver it!

Just this morning we were told once again that we won't be allowed to do stand alone deliveries (SO/E2/XS) before 10:30am. We have part-timers running P1 before the rest of us leave. So if we leave with 5 P1's they want us to go into a shuttle code until 10:30am to comply with the directive.

Just when you think our executive team couldn't be any stupider they surpass all expectations. They'd be better off if they just let local management handle things.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Just this morning we were told once again that we won't be allowed to do stand alone deliveries (SO/E2/XS) before 10:30am. We have part-timers running P1 before the rest of us leave. So if we leave with 5 P1's they want us to go into a shuttle code until 10:30am to comply with the directive.

Just when you think our executive team couldn't be any stupider they surpass all expectations. They'd be better off if they just let local management handle things.
If they want shuttle, they can have shuttle. I couldn’t care less unless they try to make me take a break during that time.

zeev

The express to ground is easy the P1 and P2 cans are already separate just instruct the RTD to take it to a ground facility, have Express do more pickups because the pickup must be made the delivery can be whenever.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's what most couriers want to do so they don't have to deal with it the next day. However in their infinite wisdom, upper management decided years ago that and Tuesday or Wednesday packages that show up on Mondays will be held back. They must have thought customers were getting too good of service or something. And to think the :censored2: who thought that one up probably got a big bonus for that brainstorm. Sad.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Blurring the line between Express and Ground would jeopardize the RLA protections FedEx enjoys.
Shifting E2 and XS to Ground would have to happen at the Shipper before it’s shipped, not once it’s in transit.
Doable, but not the way you guys are envisioning.

It will be fine

Blurring the line between Express and Ground would jeopardize the RLA protections FedEx enjoys.
Shifting E2 and XS to Ground would have to happen at the Shipper before it’s shipped, not once it’s in transit.
Doable, but not the way you guys are envisioning.
How would contracting out final mile delivery jeopardize treating Express like an airline? I would think it would strengthen the argument.

El Morado Diablo

If they want shuttle, they can have shuttle. I couldn’t care less unless they try to make me take a break during that time.

It's not the code that makes a difference. I'm fine with whatever code they want me to take to twiddle my thumbs while I wait. The problem is the inefficiency. Do you want us using that time doing something productive (non-P1 deliveries) or not?

The only way customers are going to upgrade service to P1 is if we quit delivering the non-P1's with our P1 stops. Those are the customers who are taking advantage of the way we do deliveries by sending a couple of P1's knowing we will deliver the rest of their non-P1 stuff at the same time.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
How would contracting out final mile delivery jeopardize treating Express like an airline? I would think it would strengthen the argument.
”Therefore, according to the UAW, the RLA should not govern the company’s ground-service employees. FedEx Ex- press responded that, as an air carrier, all of its employees are subject to the RLA, because FedEx Express is a “unified operation with fully integrated air and ground services.”

Freight handled by Express employees would have to remain under the control of Express in order to maintain the “unified operation” that is necessary to continue RLA protections.

That necessitates shifting the freight to Ground BEFORE it’s shipped.

bbsam

Staff member
”Therefore, according to the UAW, the RLA should not govern the company’s ground-service employees. FedEx Ex- press responded that, as an air carrier, all of its employees are subject to the RLA, because FedEx Express is a “unified operation with fully integrated air and ground services.”

Freight handled by Express employees would have to remain under the control of Express in order to maintain the “unified operation” that is necessary to continue RLA protections.

That necessitates shifting the freight to Ground BEFORE it’s shipped.
That’s “nothing language”. It remains under the control of Express right up until it isn’t anymore. I think “final mile” is something the RLA may not clearly address.

bacha29

Sam and Fred both have good points. At the same time when you're a federally regulated holding company whose success to a considerable degree can be attributed to it's ability to skirt the law through the use of it's political muscle and it's ability to spot weld addendum patches over it's business model to keep it held together theses are measures that you can get by with but only for a limited amount of time.

A restructuring of the entire corporation will eventually have to be undertaken . One that would be ungodly expensive and might just give the box mules a bit more power in the workplace than they have previously known while being part of Fat Freddy's so called "family".

zeev

Stay away from the stock trying to merge the two units will be difficult Fred’s hate of unions might be his downfall a dying Express business and a challenged Ground business both underfunded is not a winning combination.

Sniper

I see Trump haters.. it's ok... that's what makes the world go round. I also SAW the language written in the 2008 (I think) FAA re authorization bill that would have taken us out of the railroad act. We got Obummer care instead. CHRISTmas Eve at that. Pass it to know what's in it. Bottom line.... term limits for all. Time will tell. It always does. I have the BEST job in the world most days... but times are changing. Something is up with the portable much like the traditional all those years ago.

Gone fishin

Stay away from the stock trying to merge the two units will be difficult Fred’s hate of unions might be his downfall a dying Express business and a challenged Ground business both underfunded is not a winning combination.
You do understand there are a few things going on in the world working against Express right now ? They will end eventually and Express will be just fine.
Remember , faster is the future.
They’re not automating Memphis for ground.

Serf

Something is up with the portable much like the traditional all those years ago.
Yup. It's going the way of the buffalo. Slowly gone.

Hypothetically. Envisioning a scenario where all 3 day and 50% of 2 day shifted to ground. Day routes would have to do more pickups to get full time hours. Night routes would be cut down and or combined.

vantexan

Yup. It's going the way of the buffalo. Slowly gone.

Hypothetically. Envisioning a scenario where all 3 day and 50% of 2 day shifted to ground. Day routes would have to do more pickups to get full time hours. Night routes would be cut down and or combined.
A lot of stations struggle to give a full 40. Take all of that away and they'll have to guarantee 30 hrs.

Serf

A lot of stations struggle to give a full 40. Take all of that away and they'll have to guarantee 30 hrs.
I feel like we've heard this rumor so much over the years. But the Senior says it is partially true. The guys at the ramp have heard it. Dispatch has heard it....