Big announcement coming in Jan

Serf

I asked about the 2/3 day freight going to ground at our skip level meeting. I was told: “Ground and Express trucks run a lot of the same loops in our routes. We are in the process of figuring out how to divert some that volume over to ground in the essence of saving.”

bacha29

Rattling off random irrelevant numbers is not "insight" or "analysis" or "forward looking guidance."
Tell you what. I'll go back and simplify the information in a way that will help you to make something in the way of a "Mr Obvious" level analysis . In the meantime all you need to remember is the Golden Rule 21st century version......"Ye who has the gold rules".

Gone fishin

I asked about the 2/3 day freight going to ground at our skip level meeting. I was told: “Ground and Express trucks run a lot of the same loops in our routes. We are in the process of figuring out how to divert some that volume over to ground in the essence of saving.”
I asked the same question at my skip level meeting and I was told ground had failed so bad this Christmas that Express was getting more ground by rate negations.
So there’s that

bacha29

You imply that hourlies didn’t earn any additional compensation.

Again, you are part of what’s wrong with the company.
Again it's all part of the ongoing race to the bottom. The problem is that managers and executives don't want to be dragged down along with everyone else. They want to continue to enjoy the money and perks at the same level or higher but want somebody else to go out there in increasingly hazardous and hostile conditions and physically move that shipment from one point to the other ....and compensation wise do it for basically free.

bacha29

I asked the same question at my skip level meeting and I was told ground had failed so bad this Christmas that Express was getting more ground by rate negations.
So there’s that
I saw numerous photos of inside ground terminals where they had boxes piled up so high that you couldn't even see the trucks parked there and even photos where boxes were even piled up outside and covered with tarps. The problem needless to say was that once again contractors couldn't find people willing to work for peanuts as evidenced by the hundreds of help wanted ads on the jobs boards offering the same pay as 4 or 5 years ago.....So how in the hell can Ground handle anymore boxes when their ability to take Smart Post back from the post office is being loudly doubted?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You imply that hourlies didn’t earn any additional compensation.

Again, you are part of what’s wrong with the company.

I'm not implying anything. The execs have contracts that spell out what their performance targets are and how much they'll earn for those that they make. They stand to make far more in bonuses than they do in regular salary.

And hourlies were given additional compensation.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Tell you what. I'll go back and simplify the information in a way that will help you to make something in the way of a "Mr Obvious" level analysis . In the meantime all you need to remember is the Golden Rule 21st century version......"Ye who has the gold rules".

You've posted reams of random of random nonsense and have never once tied any of it to anything that happened with FedEx.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And hourlies were given additional compensation.

Peanuts.jpg

bbsam

Staff member

So there’s that
Wouldn’t take a lot to move volume to well run Ground operations and not to others. It’s all just zip codes.

It will be fine

I saw numerous photos of inside ground terminals where they had boxes piled up so high that you couldn't even see the trucks parked there and even photos where boxes were even piled up outside and covered with tarps. The problem needless to say was that once again contractors couldn't find people willing to work for peanuts as evidenced by the hundreds of help wanted ads on the jobs boards offering the same pay as 4 or 5 years ago.....So how in the hell can Ground handle anymore boxes when their ability to take Smart Post back from the post office is being loudly doubted?
I think there’s going to be a lot of contractor turnover this year. The guys that would barely hang on in the past will fall off. It’s going to be a challenge for guys that haven’t been preparing for years. Similar to the ISP transition, the single route guys caught by surprise went away. This peak I had extra people to send to help other stations. Staffing will continue to be an issue until the next recession but it can be successfully managed now.

abused.crr

There's a reason Big Business doesn't like Big Unions, and that's because BU means big money wages and benefits. RTW is for Republican Cuckservatives who want to work for peanuts.

you’re half way correct. The blue collar working person has no political party. The democrat party was once the party of the working class but now its the party of mass immigration and 52 genders. And then there’s the Republican Party...

bacha29

I think there’s going to be a lot of contractor turnover this year. The guys that would barely hang on in the past will fall off. It’s going to be a challenge for guys that haven’t been preparing for years. Similar to the ISP transition, the single route guys caught by surprise went away. This peak I had extra people to send to help other stations. Staffing will continue to be an issue until the next recession but it can be successfully managed now.
While you might currently have extra people and primarily due to location and good fortune, how long do you think it will be until you too will start to run out of people? After all you can't MAKE a person crawl into one of those tin coffins on wheels and by your own admission you're not offering much more than the going rate among contractors in general. In the end your growth will limited by the overall size of the labor pool in your sector and how much of it you can procure.

It will be fine

While you might currently have extra people and primarily due to location and good fortune, how long do you think it will be until you too will start to run out of people? After all you can't MAKE a person crawl into one of those tin coffins on wheels and by your own admission you're not offering much more than the going rate among contractors in general. In the end your growth will limited by the overall size of the labor pool in your sector and how much of it you can procure.
It’s been a few decades of finding people so I’m not too concerned. It’s not just luck, recruiting is a skill.