Big announcement coming in Jan

bacha29

It’s been a few decades of finding people so I’m not too concerned. It’s not just luck, recruiting is a skill.
And you happen to be lucky enough to be in one of the nation's largest metropolitan areas where people as a whole are in good supply. No matter how good a manager you think you are if the people are simply not there it doesn't matter and in many cases this past peak season there was simply too many boxes and not enough people period to handle final mile deliveries.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
After all you can't MAKE a person crawl into one of those tin coffins on wheels and by your own admission you're not offering much more than the going rate among contractors in general.

Why would he pay much more than the market clearing rate???

He doesn't have to make a person crawl into one of those tin coffins. He pays enough that they crawl into them of their own free will.

It will be fine

And you happen to be lucky enough to be in one of the nation's largest metropolitan areas where people as a whole are in good supply. No matter how good a manager you think you are if the people are simply not there it doesn't matter and in many cases this past peak season there was simply too many boxes and not enough people period to handle final mile deliveries.
I sent my extra people to help in major metropolitan areas this peak.

It will be fine

I still think Ground is in for massive failures come this peak. If those metropolitan areas failed in ‘19, ‘20 will wipe them out.
I think there’s going to be significant failures before peak this year. They are going to push 100% smartpost and DRO ahead of their rollout schedule and watch it all burn.

bbsam

Staff member
I think there’s going to be significant failures before peak this year. They are going to push 100% smartpost and DRO ahead of their rollout schedule and watch it all burn.
It almost feels like they’re closing up shop, heading for the doors and leaving the whole mess for someone else to figure out.

bacha29

It almost feels like they’re closing up shop, heading for the doors and leaving the whole mess for someone else to figure out.
They've been doing that to you guys for years and whatever is coming chances are you're going to be completely powerless in the face of it. The results of the final two quarters and Fat Freddy's follow up comments will hopefully give you guys a heads up on what's coming. If he's really coy and not tipping his hand then get a copy of the annual report. You can sometimes find out what's going on buried in the back pages of the forward looking guidance section.

bbsam

Staff member
They've been doing that to you guys for years and whatever is coming chances are you're going to be completely powerless in the face of it. The results of the final two quarters and Fat Freddy's follow up comments will hopefully give you guys a heads up on what's coming. If he's really coy and not tipping his hand then get a copy of the annual report. You can sometimes find out what's going on buried in the back pages of the forward looking guidance section.
bacha, you really don’t know what you’re talking about. I get that they’ve been changing a lot over the years. This feels a lot different. Don’t act like you know what I’m talking about. You don’t.

bacha29

bacha, you really don’t know what you’re talking about. I get that they’ve been changing a lot over the years. This feels a lot different. Don’t act like you know what I’m talking about. You don’t.
I'm not say anything outside of your clear concern and you're sensing that change in a much larger form than what has been experienced in the past is brewing and given that contractors have no seat at the table, always the last to know and the first ones most directly impacted I was simply pointing to areas where you might be able to uncover some early indications of what they've got up their sleeve and that's gotta count for something.

vantexan

I'm not say anything outside of your clear concern and you're sensing that change in a much larger form than what has been experienced in the past is brewing and given that contractors have no seat at the table, always the last to know and the first ones most directly impacted I was simply pointing to areas where you might be able to uncover some early indications of what they've got up their sleeve and that's gotta count for something.
The end is near! The end is near!

XEQaF

BBSAM so what is giving you this feeling? From your vantage point, what are the top 3 problems you see that in your opinion will lead to future failures? (how do you see 7 day service, volume, infrastructure issues being resolved?)

bbsam

Staff member
BBSAM so what is giving you this feeling? From your vantage point, what are the top 3 problems you see that in your opinion will lead to future failures? (how do you see 7 day service, volume, infrastructure issues being resolved?)
Integration of Smartpost. 7 day service. Woefully unprepared for the volume this coming peak and no way to prep for it in 11 months.

bacha29

Notice something? He wasn't talking much about Express. Only about making Ground the lowest cost carrier in the e-commerce business.Guess who's going to to be the facilitator of that little caper?

In the past you would only find one or two new Ground contract listings on the broker boards at a time and the asking price was in nearly every case at least 1X annual gross. Now it's nothing to see a dozen or more new ones and only about a third of them come with that same asking price. The rest are asking below that threshold and some quite a bit below it......Perhaps they've decided to do a Steve Miller.....Go on take the money and run.

zeev

Amazon international flights out of Memphis, Amazon buying step vans, Fred tells the analysts China is a big business now corona virus UPS will announce good news this week. Look out below for the stock.

MAKAVELI

Notice something? He wasn't talking much about Express. Only about making Ground the lowest cost carrier in the e-commerce business.Guess who's going to to be the facilitator of that little caper?

In the past you would only find one or two new Ground contract listings on the broker boards at a time and the asking price was in nearly every case at least 1X annual gross. Now it's nothing to see a dozen or more new ones and only about a third of them come with that same asking price. The rest are asking below that threshold and some quite a bit below it......Perhaps they've decided to do a Steve Miller.....Go on take the money and run.
He first says FedEx will be lapping Amazon in a year. Now he's saying FedEx will be bigger than UPS in 2 to 3 years. I want to know what the hell is he smokin?

It will be fine

He first says FedEx will be lapping Amazon in a year. Now he's saying FedEx will be bigger than UPS in 2 to 3 years. I want to know what the hell is he smokin?
If the argument is Ground can offer cheaper rates because of the contractor model and the low rates we get paid by delivery, he might be correct. The new e-commerce rates are significantly lower than what we get paid now. They will be able to offer dirt cheap rates to any retailer with real 7 day residential service. It will be very attractive to shippers.

XEQaF

“I will say to you unequivocally: In the next two or three years, I’m firmly of the belief we will pass UPS in terms of size and be the largest by-revenue transportation and logistics”....

This is the definition of madness!!!