Central supplement

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't see where this extra verbiage clarifies anything in an already vague and arbitrarily interpreted article?

Most people don't realize what the original intent of 17-I was.... that cleans it up.

"Serious offenses" meant things like fighting, sexual harassment, etc.

But over the years, the company made it just about anything.

Putting in "named" cardinal sins.... severely limits the Unions ability to defend the member.

The analogy I've used before, is when you see attendance policies in some other contracts.

4 infractions = warning letter.

5 infractions = suspension.

6 infractions = discharge.

End of story.

No going to a Panel or arbitration. You're done.

-Bug-

5habits100

Most people don't realize what the original intent of 17-I was.... that cleans it up.

Putting in "named" cardinal sins.... severely limits the Unions ability to defend the member.

The analogy I've used before, is when you see attendance policies in some other contracts.

End of story.

-Bug-

I agree it cleans it up. The politicians are saying it’s worse. They don’t want to believe it’s better. 17i was intended to be the most extreme situations. Pulling to wrong load or mis sorts is not a 17i.

upschuck

End of story.

-Bug-
I can see them using the protecting the company in a way that was not intended. The customer and employee part is fine.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree it cleans it up. The politicians are saying it’s worse. They don’t want to believe it’s better. 17i was intended to be the most extreme situations. Pulling to wrong load or mis sorts is not a 17i.
How about distracted driving, speeding, rolling a stop sign, improper lane change, not using signals and flashers, not having your headlights on while your wipers are operating, excessive backing, and about any other perceived shortcoming while behind the wheel.

Could those scenarios be perverted under this expanded language?
I can envision my LM giving it a shot.

Give me a little while and I'm sure we can think of some similar scenarios when we aren't behind the wheel.

What I find interesting is that when we don't vote we are apathetic....and when we don't agree and ponder the consequences, we are deemed "polticians"....but if we good boys and girls and vote yes, we are "reasonable".

Very interesting....

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
How about distracted driving, speeding, rolling a stop sign, improper lane change, not using signals and flashers, not having your headlights on while your wipers are operating, excessive backing, and about any other perceived shortcoming while behind the wheel.

Progressive discipline at best.

Could those scenarios be perverted under this expanded language? I can envision my LM giving it a shot.

The word egregious.... is the operative term.

Give me a little while and I'm sure we can think of some similar scenarios when we aren't behind the wheel.

Yep.

Fighting, sexual harassment, intentional destruction of company property.... egregious.

Oh.... and my load, dispatch, and harassment are so bad.... I might shoot up the place.

Notice it includes:

"Discharge under this subsection should only be used in situations where the employee’s actions are so egregious that he/she needs to be removed from the workplace immediately to protect employees, customers, and/or the Company."

It removes the ambiguity.

The Central Region Union Chairman, is going to be at your contract review meeting.

Knowing him.... he will explain it quite thoroughly.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What are some synonyms for "egregious"???

I know a couple....how about "serious" or "cardinal sin"?

Nope.

e·gre·gious
əˈɡrējəs/
adjective
  1. 1.
    outstandingly bad; shocking.
    "egregious abuses of copyright"
    synonyms: shocking, appalling, terrible, awful, horrendous, frightful, atrocious, abominable, abhorrent, outrageous;
    monstrous, heinous, dire, unspeakable, shameful, unforgivable, intolerable, dreadful;
    formalgrievous
    "an egregious error of judgment"

Come on @Bubblehead....

You're starting to sound like "Conspiracy Theories" with Jessie Ventura.

:biggrin:

List cardinal sins ?

Be careful of what you ask for.

Oh, that's a cardinal sin.... goodbye.... there's no negotiating after that.

-Bug-

upschuck

Nope.

e·gre·gious
əˈɡrējəs/
adjective
  1. 1.
    outstandingly bad; shocking.
    "egregious abuses of copyright"
    synonyms: shocking, appalling, terrible, awful, horrendous, frightful, atrocious, abominable, abhorrent, outrageous;
    monstrous, heinous, dire, unspeakable, shameful, unforgivable, intolerable, dreadful;
    formalgrievous
    "an egregious error of judgment"

Come on @Bubblehead....

You're starting to sound like "Conspiracy Theories" with Jessie Ventura.

:biggrin:

List cardinal sins ?

-Bug-
"It's shameful you had late air, You're Fired". :)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
List cardinal sins ?

Is that how it works for the "cardinal" infractions specifically listed in Article 17(a thru h)....goodbye....no negotiating after that???

~Bbbl~™

Tony Q

Please elaborate. My route is frequently cut and I have 20 years driving seniority. I have filed a grievance and it went to panel and the outcome is still vague and nobody knows the actual language.

Section 9-Route Changes
(a) Temporary:
Other than the months of November and December period of November 15th through January 15th if a bid area is changed fifty percent (50%) or more, the employee shall have the right to follow the portion in excess of fifty percent (50%) of the delivery stops. If the temporary change involves more than a two-way split, the driver shall select by seniority.

It’s yhe bold part I dont get. They split my route up to four or more different routes and I have no idea where I am allowed to go. Do I have to follow my work? Follow the largest portion? Work as directed?

This is the one thing I wanted to see cleared up in our supplement.
Just looking at the way the language reads If the temporary change involves more than a two-way split, the driver shall select by seniority", then I would assume you can follow whatever portion you want provided you have the seniority.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is that how it works for the "cardinal" infractions specifically listed in Article 17(a thru h)....goodbye....no negotiating after that?

Well....

17-a) is cleaned up, and mirrors the National.

(we will call this the "what you talking about Willis" clause)

17-b) You're done. No exceptions.

17-c) Again.... done.

17-d) If you are tested per Article 18 and 35 (and are clean).... possible.

(Depending on your work record)

17-e) Circumstances can vary.

17-friend) There is an escape clause in that one. :biggrin:

17-g) Depends on the level of damage. You kill someone.... have a nice day.

17-h) That kind of is antiquated, and could be construed as meaning cash.

But, don't try and float a customer a loan with the promise of a check tomorrow.

My only point being....

Why pigeon hole yourself, with definitions ?

-Bug-

DR7

Just looking at the way the language reads If the temporary change involves more than a two-way split, the driver shall select by seniority", then I would assume you can follow whatever portion you want provided you have the seniority.
Thanks. That’s the way I read it too. Been going on every Monday, sometimes more, for the last two years. Ever since we “lost Amazon”...

F

Frankie's Friend

Well....

17-a) is cleaned up, and mirrors the National.

(we will call this the "what you talking about Willis" clause)

17-b) You're done. No exceptions.

17-c) Again.... done.

17-d) If you are tested per Article 18 and 35 (and are clean).... possible.

(Depending on your work record)

17-e) Circumstances can vary.

17-friend) There is an escape clause in that one. :biggrin:

17-g) Depends on the level of damage. You kill someone.... have a nice day.

17-h) That kind of is antiquated, and could be construed as meaning cash.

But, don't try and float a customer a loan with the promise of a check tomorrow.

My only point being....

Why pigeon hole yourself, with definitions ?

-Bug-
Our local allows the attendance infraction limit without progressive discipline starting to be 6 infractions in a 9 month period.