Central,Western PA and 243 count today

browned out

So if the the Central States Health and Welfare (Team Care) is doing well and growing and we just negotiated a .50 hourly increase (full time)/.30 hourly increase (part timer) over the next 5 years would it not be fair to expect some improvement with our annual coverages.

This should be the last year of the deductible for TeamCare members in the central states. The IBT's numerous mailings promoting the 2018-2023 CBA claimed "Great health care with NO new costs".

During the 2013 to 2018 Contract period; I payed a $200 deductible. That was it. $200 deductible for the entire CBA term.

I hope the IBT is being forthright on that promise.

If the 2020 Teamcare Plan Document/Summary Plan Description includes ANY deductible; that proves the IBT was dishonest.

I already paid as much $ for the deductible in 2 months as I paid in 5 years.

Whoopie; At least we will not have to pay a deductible in the next 4 years.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
WRONG!

UPS had been paying $.50/hr raises each year! They are now; $.42 for 2018, $.43 for 2019 and $.45 for 2020. Yet another concession given up by our union but got swept under the rug before anyone caught it!

YOUR CORRECT... the (letter of agreement) on the back of the Master tentative...

(The hourly increase in full- time contributions for TeamCare set forth in Article 34 for 2018, 2019 and 2020 shall be forty-two cents; forty-three cents and forty-five cents, instead of fifty cents, if TeamCare does not adjust it's dental, life insurance and short-term disability benefits for full-time employees in the (C6) Plan to match these benefits in TeamCare. This adjustment shall be applied on the effect date of the NMA.)

DELACROIX

Possibly.

But then do you think it would be fair to assume healthcare costs will remain stable for the next five years? H&W administrators plan according to experience. HC and prescription drug costs have historically risen above inflation.

Exactly the reason UPS wanted out.

Weekly Health and Welfare contributions going into the TeamCare plan per union employee from UPS 2018-2023:

8/1/18...481.92
8/1/19...501.92
8/1/20...521.92
8/1/21...541.92 (subject to increase)
8/1/22...561.92 (subject of increase)

Total contributions going into TeamCare annual per full time member at the end of 2022 (29,224)/part time member (17,004).

Maybe I am wrong but it sure looks like that is a lot of money. It should be able to provide the best medical policies on the open market, if that kind of monetary contributions doesn't do it...Everybody nationwide would be in a mountain of hurt not just TeamCare participants...

In 2018 UPS by itself contributed annually over 2.5 billion into TeamCare just as example of how much is going into our Health and Welfare packages.

Last edited:

Inthegame

Maybe I am wrong but it sure looks like that is a lot of money.

In 2018 UPS by itself contributed annually over 2.5 billion into TeamCare just as example of how much is going into our Health and Welfare packages.
It is a lot of money, even without adding in the weekly Pension contributions. How much do you think UPS would be willing to part with without a union contract?
It should be able to provide the best medical policies on the open market...
For the money, if you mean "least expensive, most inclusive" in general it does. Taft Hartley plans are non-profit, no CEO, no shareholders demanding return.
... if that kind of monetary contributions doesn't do it...Everybody nationwide would be in a mountain of hurt not just TeamCare participants...
Ask your friends and neighbors to compare SPD's. Then ask about their deductibles and weekly/monthly co-premiums. See how high their max out of pocket costs reach.

The HC cost issue in this country hasn't gone away.

DELACROIX

It is a lot of money, even without adding in the weekly Pension contributions. How much do you think UPS would be willing to part with without a union contract?
For the money, if you mean "least expensive, most inclusive" in general it does. Taft Hartley plans are non-profit, no CEO, no shareholders demanding return.
Ask your friends and neighbors to compare SPD's. Then ask about their deductibles and weekly/monthly co-premiums. See how high their max out of pocket costs reach.

The weekly Pension contributions would be similar, maybe more or less depending on your location. Trust me on this that from previous history I know just how much UPS would be willing to do to get out of covering their collective bargaining costs associated with our Pensions even with a Union Contract.

I know generally how Health and Welfare plans are run..(Money in/Money out) and the health of the HW plans depends on their annual costs, that is why over the last two contracts provisions have been put into place for the last two years of each one to provide additional contributions from our hourly pension increases. Last contract we did not have to use them, this contract I expect it will be pretty much the same.

We would of qualified under the Affordable Health Care Act as having a "Cadillac" Health and Welfare package and would of been subject to added taxes. I believe the current leadership lobbied out of that during the Obama years. I agree with you that most of our friends ad neighbors have taken a hit over the years with the rising costs of health and welfare, it has eaten away most of any raises and cost of living increases and given rise to the corporate america elimination of traditional pension plans and placing more of the burden on the employee under a 401k plan (matched or not).

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
HC costs have not "gone away" for UPS as a corporation, but they have been capped, while transferring any increasing cost to the employee.
This was never the case until we were put in TeamCare.
My friends and neighbors don't work for UPS, nor do their employers term them "industrial athletes".
We deserved to have our superior healthcare maintained by UPS for as long as they remained at the top of their game and continued to realize record profits.
Instead, the benefits regressed as the Union concessed, while healthcare cost were transferred to the employee, essentially negating hourly pay raises through unprecedented annual deductibles and reduced coverages.

We don't accept the notion that we needed to play our way back to the field, sorry.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We deserved to have our superior healthcare maintained by UPS for as long as they remained at the top of their game and continued to realize record profits.

The term "record profits" has always been a point of contention with me.

Don't we want UPS to make record profits ?

And why, do people think they are required to force the bulk of it to hourly employees ?

Something to ponder.

I'm a member and post on forums, relating to other personal interest's.

The bashing of Union's and their benefits is never ending.

All the while, they bitch and moan about a $1750 per month premium and

a $5000 deductible.... unless you have a catastrophic health problem....

is that really Health Insurance ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

And why, do people think they are required to force the bulk of it to hourly employees ?
Sure, we absolutely want UPS to make record profits, why wouldn't we???

....and if they do, we (the Union) should be in the position to maintain, if not negotiate significant gains in such important areas of the contract as healthcare.

But instead, we somehow find ourselves going backwards.
I'm a member and post on forums, relating to other personal interest's.

The bashing of Union's and their benefits is never ending.

All the while, they bitch and moan about a $1750 per month premium and

a $5000 deductible.... unless you have a catastrophic health problem....

is that really Health Insurance ?

What kind of internet wizardry are using to take a quote from @Inthegame and assign it in quotes to your post as if I wrote it??? (that's to complicated to accomplish to pretend that it was an accident)

But I will say it again, the "bitchers and moaners" don't do what we do, nor do they work for UPS who is realizing record profits, while terming us as "industrial athletes".

We deserved what we had....and now it's gone forever.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I win the internet ?
You took a post from @Inthegame (#487), then somehow quoted a portion of it in your post like it were I that wrote it, in your subsequent post (#490)???

I know how to make that happen, but it just doesn't seem like your style....because it's a bit "bush league".

....so I will choose to believe that you were sleep-posting.

DELACROIX

Something to ponder.

That is why is David Abney clears 14,607,700 total compensation a year. Now as a comparison look at James P. Hoffa's annual salary of (308,936). Clear case of were the bulk of our profits are going.

F

Frankie's Friend

That is why is David Abney clears 14,607,700 total compensation a year. Now as a comparison look at James P. Hoffa's annual salary of (308,936). Clear case of were the bulk of our profits are going.
Dont forget to run scratch today and oh, by the way your truck looks like the (non union) garbage man's because we can't afford carwash hours.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You took a post from @Inthegame (#487), then somehow quoted a portion of it in your post like it were I that wrote it, in your subsequent post (#490)???

I know how to make that happen, but it just doesn't seem like your style....because it's a bit "bush league".

....so I will choose to believe that you were sleep-posting.

Funny thing is, I can't even recreate it.

Don't know what happened....

Inthegame

What kind of internet wizardry are using to take a quote from @Inthegame and assign it in quotes to your post as if I wrote it??? (that's to complicated to accomplish to pretend that it was an accident)
Oscar Wilde would challenge your retort as he once famously said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness“...you should be thanking BUG!:wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Oscar Wilde would challenge your retort as he once famously said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness“...you should be thanking BUG!:wink2:
I would agree with Ocsar, had I actually imitated someone???

....but BUG confusing me for you is certainly a compliment.