Central,Western PA and 243 count today

Undertow

That’s the point I was trying to make....most members don’t care about the contract year round and only speak up online against ups hoping there management team doesn’t find out
I guess that might be the case in some areas, but where I've been it's never been a secret who is and isn't afraid to confront management (or at least those they interact with most daily). The ones who have read the contract feel more emboldened to stand up and the ones who haven't retreat, but that was largely the case even before the "2/3rds" ammendment was ever used as an end around for seemingly the sole purpose of circumventing the collective bargaining process. "Collective" should apply to those members that care enough to vote and not to those that routinely forfeit that right. It's not as if an incumbent elected official can override an election where he she lost the vote total because less than 2/3rds of eligible voters showed up at the polls. Hoffa or no Hoffa (I personally prefer no Hoffa) that 2/3rds hash needs to be thrown out. Theoretically, that's something achievable without the company being able to directly intervene to stop from happening.

I don't believe there's a high risk of enough members crossing a picket line for the company to survive a work stoppage. The overwhelming amount of full time drivers would unite for enough length of time. There's already such a high amount of daily no-shows on the preload shift without a strike. If they won't come to work without a strike then they are even less likely to show up when there is one. Even in the event that they did, it's not as if most of them are gonna get the packages to the customers regardless assuming there were any to misload there to begin with.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I guess that might be the case in some areas, but where I've been it's never been a secret who is and isn't afraid to confront management (or at least those they interact with most daily). The ones who have read the contract feel more emboldened to stand up and the ones who haven't retreat, but that was largely the case even before the "2/3rds" ammendment was ever used as an end around for seemingly the sole purpose of circumventing the collective bargaining process. "Collective" should apply to those members that care enough to vote and not to those that routinely forfeit that right. It's not as if an incumbent elected official can override an election where he she lost the vote total because less than 2/3rds of eligible voters showed up at the polls. Hoffa or no Hoffa (I personally prefer no Hoffa) that 2/3rds hash needs to be thrown out. Theoretically, that's something achievable without the company being able to directly intervene to stop from happening.

I don't believe there's a high risk of enough members crossing a picket line for the company to survive a work stoppage. The overwhelming amount of full time drivers would unite for enough length of time. There's already such a high amount of daily no-shows on the preload shift without a strike. If they won't come to work without a strike then they are even less likely to show up when there is one. Even in the event that they did, it's not as if most of them are gonna get the packages to the customers regardless assuming there were any to misload there to begin with.
I believe that if the majority of members participate we will have power but I don’t believe in gambling....try something in your work group ask all the members to file a grievance one week....then ask every member in your building to file and let’s see what the end result is

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I believe that if the majority of members participate we will have power but I don’t believe in gambling....try something in your work group ask all the members to file a grievance one week....then ask every member in your building to file and let’s see what the end result is
I'm hosting a poker game next weekend and your invited....and a pray you are sitting to my right.

Superteeth2478

What confuses me is constant blame to the ibt when Ups members didn’t give the ibt a strong hand to negotiate with....everyone should look at themselves in the mirror....we as members gave them a lame vote turn out on a strike authorization.....majority of members won’t enforce the current contract.....and members on here want the ibt to gamble on a strike with the possibility that 75% of members won’t/can’t walk off the job......a failed strike would destroy the job that most upsers have now good full time wage,healthcare and pension......but who am I to think reasonably
So you're saying that since the membership isn't going to be willing to strike that the "leadership" should just ignore the IBT Constitution's provisions for further bargaining and just go backwards in negotiations. Any idiot knows that UPS isn't going to be willing to play the strike game, even locally, just to keep from going back to an initial offer. They sure as hell were willing to budge if the leverage from the local strike authorization was used. It's the weak "leadership" that needs to look at itself in the mirror. It's probably going to blame the weak membership, saying that we are the union and that we have the power. It's true. And the voting membership has spoken. And now the "leadership" is showing how little power we actually have when the "leadership" is corrupt.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How often can the ibt bluff and win.....if you bluff all the time eventually you go home broke
The IBT has only bluffed once in 20 years (last Summer), after taking down the pot the last time they shoved "All In" back in 1997....

....they didn't even take a strike vote in 2013?

What are you talking about???

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

The IBT has only bluffed once in 20 years (last Summer), after taking down the pot the last time they shoved "All In" back in 1997....

....they didn't even take a strike vote in 2013?

What are you talking about???
The membership isn’t the same as 97
All I’m saying is ups knows our membership is weak

I was referring to the strike vote we took before this negotiations as the first bluff that the members were ready to strike

If they tried to double down with pulling the country to get ups to give these supplements everything they are asking for could be dangerous

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I was referring to the strike vote we took before this negotiations as the first bluff that the members were ready to strike

If they tried to double down with pulling the country to get ups to give these supplements everything they are asking for could be dangerous
Game is at 7pm on Saturday, please come.

F

Frankie's Friend

The difference is the leadership isnt the same as 97.

F

Frankie's Friend

In 97 we only needed 1 punch a month for benefit coverage.

Now, with Teamcare being forced upon us we need 1 punch per week for coverage (an issue the leadership failed to disclose) thus making it less easy to walk the line if your family has health issues.