Coronavirus

vantexan

Yes there were challenges during the Carter presidency with the economy, but again go look at the indicators, economically it wasn't that bad.

In terms of Obama, The unemployment rate was like 12-13% when he took office and when he left it was down to 4.7%, the dow jones was under 8000 and about 20000 when he left. The economy was good under president Obama.
Unemployment rose to and stayed at 10% through 2010 then declined to 4.7 by the time he left because people were returning to work after the Great Recession. We had stagflation under Obama.

oldngray

nowhere special
Cononavirus-Deaths-Jul-4.jpg

Cononavirus-Deaths-Jul-5.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Unemployment rose to and stayed at 10% through 2010 then declined to 4.7 by the time he left because people were returning to work after the Great Recession. We had stagflation under Obama.
In economics, stagflation or recession-inflation is a situation in which the inflation rate is high, the economic growth rate slows, and unemployment remains steadily high. It presents a dilemma for economic policy, since actions intended to lower inflation may exacerbate unemployment.
This definitely wasn't the case under Obama. GDP growth was slow (some would say anemic) but it was steady. Unemployment started out high but didn't stay that it way, it declined steadily through his tenure. Inflation was practically non-existent at 1.4%, pretty much the lowest it's ever been in modern history. If you were invested in the stock market you did very well, I retired at 54 and it was really the stock market growth during the Obama years that laid the foundation for that. I said at the beginning of Trump's term that as long as the stock market made the same gains as it did under Obama I would be happy with those returns.

vantexan

Yes there were challenges during the Carter presidency with the economy, but again go look at the indicators, economically it wasn't that bad.

In terms of Obama, The unemployment rate was like 12-13% when he took office and when he left it was down to 4.7%, the dow jones was under 8000 and about 20000 when he left. The economy was good under president Obama.
Economically Carter failed and didn't get reelected. I worked in a supermarket then and was in charge of daily putting new price tags on everything that was going up in price. And up, and up.

vantexan

Nope it is factual that conservatives called GWBush a great war time president who was called by god to protect America. conservatives used to love GWBush passionately, they now deny him because his presidency is correctly seen as a failure, the same fate awaits trump.
I would love to see the quote where Bush said he was called by God to protect America. I recall him stressing that it wasn't a war on Islam, just on radicalized terrorists.

vantexan

In economics, stagflation or recession-inflation is a situation in which the inflation rate is high, the economic growth rate slows, and unemployment remains steadily high. It presents a dilemma for economic policy, since actions intended to lower inflation may exacerbate unemployment.
This definitely wasn't the case under Obama. GDP growth was slow (some would say anemic) but it was steady. Unemployment started out high but didn't stay that it way, it declined steadily through his tenure. Inflation was practically non-existent at 1.4%, pretty much the lowest it's ever been in modern history. If you were invested in the stock market you did very well, I retired at 54 and it was really the stock market growth during the Obama years that laid the foundation for that. I said at the beginning of Trump's term that as long as the stock market made the same gains as it did under Obama I would be happy with those returns.
I should have said stagnation. The 1% did well under Obama, but not the middle class.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I should have said stagnation. The 1% did well under Obama, but not the middle class.
I'm not in the 1% and I did pretty well, I doubt I'm the only one. The middle class has been shrinking for a lot of years for a lot of reasons, and it's true that Obama didn't really do anything to reverse that trend.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I'm not in the 1% and I did pretty well, I doubt I'm the only one. The middle class has been shrinking for a lot of years for a lot of reasons, and it's true that Obama didn't really do anything to reverse that trend.
You did well because of the stock market.
Stock prices were deflated beyond reasonableness by the 2008-9 re/de-pression.
In spite of the 10 trillion spent during the Obama administration, you barely got above the March 2008 stock market valuations.
Trump's deregulation and business friendly helped business and working class people that released the pent-up market.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
You did well because of the stock market.
Stock prices were deflated beyond reasonableness by the 2008-9 re/de-pression.
In spite of the 10 trillion spent during the Obama administration, you barely got above the March 2008 stock market valuations.
Trump's deregulation and business friendly helped business and working class people that released the pent-up market.

You are just a tad bit wrong!

No, you are just plain :censored2:ing wrong!