Dealing with Women on route

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just would not bother me. Can't imagine a situation where it would.

Dream, I have a scenario for you. Woman at delivery stop flirts with you. You playfully flirt back and complete the delivery, thinking the whole thing was harmless. Woman calls 1-800-PICKUPS claiming that you made sexually suggestive comments to her while you were making the delivery. center manager wants to know what the deal is and you are forced to explain a situation which would have been avoided had you simply ignored her and completed the delivery.

The following actually happened in my center. Driver was at a stop and was flirting with the receptionist, who was on the phone. Turns out she was on the phone talking to her husband. Husband called the toll free and driver had a lot of 'splainin' to do when he got off the road.

It's just not worth it.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
That's easy...

If someone is going to make something up & report to UPS, I don't even have to be present to have that happen. Most people are not fruit loops, and those that are are going to do what they want anyway.

ups1990

I would take a pay cut to be sexually harassed daily. Some stops, I hope to be harassed.

Seriously, are there really men in the world that feel upset about it? I must be a caveman or something...
Are you a married man? Would like it if your Wife was put in the same situation? Yes, there are nutty people who will fabricate lies. This is why I, try not to put myself in a position where my comment(s) or actions will be questioned. As drivers we must act as proffesional as possible towards fellow motorist and those we come in contact with.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Are you a married man? Would like it if your Wife was put in the same situation? Yes, there are nutty people who will fabricate lies. This is why I, try not to put myself in a position where my comment(s) or actions will be questioned. As drivers we must act as proffesional as possible towards fellow motorist and those we come in contact with.

Yes, happily married. My main point earlier is that it is not the same by any stretch of the imagination when it is towards a woman vs a man. That being said, my wife can give & take with the best of them - she can handle herself.

Come to think of it, I believe this is how I met my wife.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think some are missing the point here. It has been said that it is not worth your job. It isn't. But it's sooooooooo not worth your life either.

Livin, it's really great that your wife can handle herself, but stop and think for a second. Can your wife handle herself against a man when that man means to harm. I would never say that one of our male drivers would ever do such a thing. But what if it was me, on rte, I flirted with a male customer and thought it all innocent. What if that man didn't think it was all innocent. I could what if........................... all nite long. And I know your thinking, well that's a man against a women. Sweetheart, there have been plenty of women go after men with not so innocent of intentions. It can and does happen.

Mostly, we would probably never have an issue with a customer flirting with us or we flirting with a customer. But, what about that 1 in a million time? Is it really worth your job or (Lord forbid) your life? Would you want your wife in that position?

rod

Retired 22 years
Normally a male driver don't have to sexually harass women to get noticed. All you have to do is let the word out about how much you make and you can't beat the women off you with a stick.

Dagoof

Normally a male driver don't have to sexually harass women to get noticed. All you have to do is let the word out about how much you make and you can't beat the women off you with a stick.

Just wear the shorts!!! They always want to know how to get some of those UPS socks.

NHDRVR

All true but you have to understand why some of us a smirking at this. It's happened to, what do you think, 90% of us?? Let it roll off of your back and I could safely say she will stop out of sheer boredom from your responses.
The other avenue, of which you have been reading on this thread, is to gauge how much you can throw back at her, without crossing a line of course, and have a laugh about it. It might be better to handle it that way. I would rather walk into a stop knowing some good natured ball-busting (assuming that's what it is) is going to take place. Makes the day go by faster.