Does This Sound Like Anyone You Know?

MAKAVELI

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, minus the age issue but I don't think the mentality that you should accept what FedEx gives you because the area you work in is depressed is the right one.

I agree with all of your statements. I can not buy time. As you get older this will become crystal clear. I still feel like I am 19, but I ain't. You can, buy "time" adding the "age issue" :wink2:. We are in the same boat. We all work at FedEx. All I want to do is to "buy time" with my grandchildren.

It is what is is........ Not an "attitude attached" statement, but my reality. Attitude is everything. I am "stuck" here so I try my level best to make each and every day a good day for me, my customers and co-workers. I do love my job most days but it could be a tad better. I have great customers, good co-workers and better than average managers. I get to drive in a National Park every day. I get "drafted". I have to make sure the outbound makes it out, and stay out about 45% of the time. The hour break is killing us in the extended areas... :fishbashsmile:

In your second point I agree 100%. I don't have to accept what FedEx "gives me". I earn it every day just like each one of us do. I can't "go" to another company given my age. Even if I could I would lose, again .."it is what it is". I can't demand more because that ship sailed in Jan 2011. I held my nose and voted for McLame. (I know MrFedEx likes this admission). lol... President Obama won the victory and I knew I was beaten.

Beaten yet knowing I would at least get a VOTE.

It DID NOT happen. It could have, everyone expected it was a done deal. I knew it was going to be passed. Managers were going to MEM for training, other managers were ready to go back to driving.

I KNOW that was W. Bush's fault...lol...satire... political reality. It is what it is.

So here we are all these years later and I do love my job, most days.

The "courier" is the beginning and the end of the package life. It is what it is. I will see you all in the morning because I work for FedEx.
You and van have a very similar view. The view on top of a fence waiting to see which way the wind blows. Sometime in life you have to take a stand for what you believe in. Doesn't matter when in life just that you do it. Waiting for someone to rescue you e.g. the Teamsters or politicians is just useless and a waste of time. Like they say, if you want something done right do it yourself.

Sniper

At our station, we had a guy that would stomp on shower doors shipped by Home Depot. He had a Home Depot on his route and would get shower doors quite often. The manager would watch, laugh and walk away. This Manager is now a senior....

If that is a FACT we "deserve" what we get. If you were in my work group that crap wouldn't fly. That is someone who hates their job and taking it out on OUR customers. That is the only thing we sell. Customer Service, above and beyond. We don't get paid like UPS, but we are truly "special forces" when it comes to air/ground time. Again, it is what it is.

overflowed

If that is a FACT we "deserve" what we get. If you were in my work group that crap wouldn't fly. That is someone who hates their job and taking it out on OUR customers. That is the only thing we sell. Customer Service, above and beyond. We don't get paid like UPS, but we are truly "special forces" when it comes to air/ground time. Again, it is what it is.

You sound like a morning meeting.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You and van have a very similar view. The view on top of a fence waiting to see which way the wind blows. Sometime in life you have to take a stand for what you believe in. Doesn't matter when in life just that you do it. Waiting for someone to rescue you e.g. the Teamsters or politicians is just useless and a waste of time. Like they say, if you want something done right do it yourself.

Everyone has a unique reality and world view. Unfortunately, Fred wants us to adopt his reality and world view, which is that labor is an expense, not an asset, that money is the most important thing in life (and that it should all be Fred's), and that the Earth is flat and full of union terrorists who want to ruin his capitalist Nirvana. Nobody is going to help us...we need to help ourselves, which was R1a's mantra. Sitting on the fence and accepting Fred's version of the world equates to defeat and giving-up on the idea that our lives can be better.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You sound like a morning meeting.

Bingo. Straight out of the corporate playbook. We're more like "Special Ed" these days, and trying to sell the lame line that we are "industrial athletes", or "customer service professionals" is just a York Peppermint Patty laid atop a steaming pile of donkey crap. Sorry,Sniper...no sale. "Special Forces"..LOFL.

Sniper

Bingo. Straight out of the corporate playbook. We're more like "Special Ed" these days, and trying to sell the lame line that we are "industrial athletes", or "customer service professionals" is just a York Peppermint Patty laid atop a steaming pile of donkey crap. Sorry,Sniper...no sale. "Special Forces"..LOFL.

Ok there mr smarty pants, called me out AGAIN and I will answer. We all know how to use the quote button.

I have been "checking on you" like I KNOW all of you have done for me. My FB page that has a "FedEx truck" on it is who I am. I'm stuck here and so are you. You could "cherry pick" you jobs. From my limited research you are ex-ups...should have stayed there, better retirement, union, great health, and you have the Executive Branch... but did we get the VOTE?

No and that is the Republican's fault. Really?

vantexan

And you want people to only say what you want to hear. If I point out the reality of what's going on, it doesn't mean I endorse it. But you can't fight something effectively unless you are informed. I spent my off time researching options and finding something that works for me. All the griping in the world won't change what's going on, so change your situation into something you are happy with. No fence sitting here, I hopped off Sept. 6th.

Maui

I agree with all of your statements. I can not buy time. As you get older this will become crystal clear. I still feel like I am 19, but I ain't. You can, buy "time" adding the "age issue" :wink2:. We are in the same boat. We all work at FedEx. All I want to do is to "buy time" with my grandchildren.

It is what is is........ Not an "attitude attached" statement, but my reality. Attitude is everything. I am "stuck" here so I try my level best to make each and every day a good day for me, my customers and co-workers. I do love my job most days but it could be a tad better. I have great customers, good co-workers and better than average managers. I get to drive in a National Park every day. I get "drafted". I have to make sure the outbound makes it out, and stay out about 45% of the time. The hour break is killing us in the extended areas... :fishbashsmile:

In your second point I agree 100%. I don't have to accept what FedEx "gives me". I earn it every day just like each one of us do. I can't "go" to another company given my age. Even if I could I would lose, again .."it is what it is". I can't demand more because that ship sailed in Jan 2011. I held my nose and voted for McLame. (I know MrFedEx likes this admission). lol... President Obama won the victory and I knew I was beaten.

Beaten yet knowing I would at least get a VOTE.

It DID NOT happen. It could have, everyone expected it was a done deal. I knew it was going to be passed. Managers were going to MEM for training, other managers were ready to go back to driving.

I KNOW that was W. Bush's fault...lol...satire... political reality. It is what it is.

So here we are all these years later and I do love my job, most days.

The "courier" is the beginning and the end of the package life. It is what it is. I will see you all in the morning because I work for FedEx.

With all due respect, I believe your reality is tinted by your environment. You work out of East Tennessee. TN-01 is the reddest district in a red state. There is an echo chamber there that mirrors your views and it might be difficult to see how extreme some of them are in relation to the rest of the country and the world. East TN and SW VA are pretty racist. There are so many things that seem normal there that are said and done routinely that would shock most of the country.

You have had, generally, the same management team for probably half your career. Many at FedEx do not have that experience and each new manager wants to make an impression, "clean things up" or just do it his/her way. The stability probably makes the job a little easier to handle. However, even in your part of Southern Appalachia there are other opportunities. You may not want them or care to do the work required to secure those jobs. AEP, TVA, MSHA are just a few options. Sales reps, engineers, MDs all have opportunities there just on a smaller scale. The money can be VERY lucrative there in that market for the right skills. Maybe it's too late for you to make the most of the opportunities, but do not let small thinking prevent you, your children or grandchildren from accomplishing more.

I realize many will attend ETSU, VPI or UT and move to larger markets where more diverse economies exist. The same policies that keep the area economically depressed drives away many that become educated and seek progress. The district elects politicians that make it more difficult to move forward and keep the area depressed. The people of the area vote to keep the status quo, with FedEx being one of few decent jobs for "unskilled" labor, and keeping wages and the standard of living down. The congressmen and Senators from TN are some of the worst for fighting progress for labor and the common man. In other words, the people of East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, by a large majority WANT to continue the economic despair that afflicts so many in Southern Appalachia or they would vote differently.

vantexan

With all due respect, I believe your reality is tinted by your environment. You work out of East Tennessee. TN-01 is the reddest district in a red state. There is an echo chamber there that mirrors your views and it might be difficult to see how extreme some of them are in relation to the rest of the country and the world. East TN and SW VA are pretty racist. There are so many things that seem normal there that are said and done routinely that would shock most of the country.

You have had, generally, the same management team for probably half your career. Many at FedEx do not have that experience and each new manager wants to make an impression, "clean things up" or just do it his/her way. The stability probably makes the job a little easier to handle. However, even in your part of Southern Appalachia there are other opportunities. You may not want them or care to do the work required to secure those jobs. AEP, TVA, MSHA are just a few options. Sales reps, engineers, MDs all have opportunities there just on a smaller scale. The money can be VERY lucrative there in that market for the right skills. Maybe it's too late for you to make the most of the opportunities, but do not let small thinking prevent you, your children or grandchildren from accomplishing more.

I realize many will attend ETSU, VPI or UT and move to larger markets where more diverse economies exist. The same policies that keep the area economically depressed drives away many that become educated and seek progress. The district elects politicians that make it more difficult to move forward and keep the area depressed. The people of the area vote to keep the status quo, with FedEx being one of few decent jobs for "unskilled" labor, and keeping wages and the standard of living down. The congressmen and Senators from TN are some of the worst for fighting progress for labor and the common man. In other words, the people of East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, by a large majority WANT to continue the economic despair that afflicts so many in Southern Appalachia or they would vote differently.

​Yeah, everyone knows Blue State economies are doing really well...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ok there mr smarty pants, called me out AGAIN and I will answer. We all know how to use the quote button.

I have been "checking on you" like I KNOW all of you have done for me. My FB page that has a "FedEx truck" on it is who I am. I'm stuck here and so are you. You could "cherry pick" you jobs. From my limited research you are ex-ups...should have stayed there, better retirement, union, great health, and you have the Executive Branch... but did we get the VOTE?

No and that is the Republican's fault. Really?

Check closer. I was only at UPS as a Feeder Temp. Where I live, it takes 20 years of UPS seniority to get a Feeder job and 5-6 years to go package car. In retrospect, I wish I had quit FedEx and gone over. Yes, I worked both at the same time. Worked nights as Feeder Temp during peak and FedEx during the day. Illegal as it gets. Slept for 3 hours in my car between the two. That's how you keep your house in a divorce...just wish I'd have quit and waited-out UPS.

Maui

​Yeah, everyone knows Blue State economies are doing really well...

Some are. Some are not. Same is true for red states. However, I was speaking to the very specific region where Sniper works. The people and legislators there.

Overall, blue states have more robust economies and pay more taxes then they receive payments back. TN is a welfare state and so are a majority of red states. This isn't really about that though. It is about talking out both sides of your mouth in this specific district. They want better jobs and wages, but explicitly vote for the opposite.

vantexan

Some are. Some are not. Same is true for red states. However, I was speaking to the very specific region where Sniper works. The people and legislators there.

Overall, blue states have more robust economies and pay more taxes then they receive payments back. TN is a welfare state and so are a majority of red states. This isn't really about that though. It is about talking out both sides of your mouth in this specific district. They want better jobs and wages, but explicitly vote for the opposite.

According to a USA Today article published in June, 5 of the top 10 best state economies are red states and Tennessee is ranked 9th. I'd like to see your source for red states being welfare states as red states tend to limit benefits while having job growth due to their tax policies.

overflowed

According to a USA Today article published in June, 5 of the top 10 best state economies are red states and Tennessee is ranked 9th. I'd like to see your source for red states being welfare states as red states tend to limit benefits while having job growth due to their tax policies.

Do they list home distilleries as an industry?

Last edited:

Sniper

With all due respect, I believe your reality is tinted by your environment. You work out of East Tennessee. TN-01 is the reddest district in a red state. There is an echo chamber there that mirrors your views and it might be difficult to see how extreme some of them are in relation to the rest of the country and the world. East TN and SW VA are pretty racist.

You have had, generally, the same management team for probably half your career.

I have had 4 Seniors and seen 7 ops managers come and go.

There is that race card again.

Factually East Tennessee supported the Union in the civil war, like that really matters. The hospitals are laying off RN's like crazy in anticipation of Obama Care. One in a neighboring town is shutting the doors for good on that small hospital.

I lot of drivers who work here have a 4 year degree. They choose to live here like I do because it's the REDDEST district in the state, just kidding, :wink2:they choose to live here because the quality of life, your neighbors are great and lower cost of living. The lower cost of living does depress the wages here but I don't see anyone hiring right now. That will only get worse when Obama care kicks in and the Federal Reserve turns off the printing presses.

Then we will see a real recession. I hope I am wrong but time will tell, it always does.

Tennessee tried it's version of AHCA called Tenn Care several years ago, it just about broke the state. Unlike some states it is in Tennessee's Constitution that the budget will be balanced. Tenn Care was a great idea in concept but when the rubber hit the road it just did not work.

Even the top employer in the area, Eastman is NOT the same company it was just a few years ago, they are cutting costs (salary, insurance, retirement options). They are focusing on productivity and the bottom line. (sounds familiar)

I have always been a one issue voter. If that is an extreme view so be it. :gunsmilie No matter which party is in control, taxes are going up and WE will get lied to again and again.

Ronald Reagan signed the first "GUN BAN" in 1986 with the NRA's support. I got so mad I wrote my representatives but much like the FFA bill it was a done deal. I dropped out of the NRA for years and only recently joined again because all of the anti-gun propaganda that is spewing out of DC.

Debra Maggart (R) 3rd term incumbent tabled the "gun in trunk" bill which would allow permit holders to store their weapon on company property without fear of termination. (The internet is your friend, see what happened to her.) Guess what, this year Nashville passed it so fast Al Jazzera Gore head is still spinning off. He lost the Presidency because he didn't carry Tennessee. He lost his home state because of his gun control views.

When I worked as an enforcement officer with the state in the 90-92 it was an entirely different story. The state was royal blue, they had the house, senate and the governor's chair. Was it a big deal? not really. Is it a big deal now that the rolls have reversed, not really.

We got our nickname because of the VOLUNTEERS who went to fight the king's tyranny....especially in the Battle of New Orleans. I just don't think we would have had the success if there was a sign posted "NO FIREARMS". It's not the gun but the heart.

Now the POTUS is ginning up the debate again saying AMERICA doesn't care about the last mass shooting at the Navy Yard unless we surrender some of our 2nd amendment rights. That is total B.S.

If I recall "shotgun" Joe was telling everyone to go get a shotgun, you don't NEED an AR. From the reports I am reading a shotgun was used in this last tragic murder scene.

I am a ONE issue voter and that will never "change".

Maui

I actually thought it was common knowledge that TN takes in more money from the Federal Government than taxes paid. The source is IRS and Census Bureau. From 1999-2009 (latest year available) TN has received $83 billion in welfare from the producers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have had 4 Seniors and seen 7 ops managers come and go.

There is that race card again.

Factually East Tennessee supported the Union in the civil war, like that really matters. The hospitals are laying off RN's like crazy in anticipation of Obama Care. One in a neighboring town is shutting the doors for good on that small hospital.

I lot of drivers who work here have a 4 year degree. They choose to live here like I do because it's the REDDEST district in the state, just kidding, :wink2:they choose to live here because the quality of life, your neighbors are great and lower cost of living. The lower cost of living does depress the wages here but I don't see anyone hiring right now. That will only get worse when Obama care kicks in and the Federal Reserve turns off the printing presses.

Then we will see a real recession. I hope I am wrong but time will tell, it always does.

Tennessee tried it's version of AHCA called Tenn Care several years ago, it just about broke the state. Unlike some states it is in Tennessee's Constitution that the budget will be balanced. Tenn Care was a great idea in concept but when the rubber hit the road it just did not work.

Even the top employer in the area, Eastman is NOT the same company it was just a few years ago, they are cutting costs (salary, insurance, retirement options). They are focusing on productivity and the bottom line. (sounds familiar)

I have always been a one issue voter. If that is an extreme view so be it. :gunsmilie No matter which party is in control, taxes are going up and WE will get lied to again and again.

Ronald Reagan signed the first "GUN BAN" in 1986 with the NRA's support. I got so mad I wrote my representatives but much like the FFA bill it was a done deal. I dropped out of the NRA for years and only recently joined again because all of the anti-gun propaganda that is spewing out of DC.

Debra Maggart (R) 3rd term incumbent tabled the "gun in trunk" bill which would allow permit holders to store their weapon on company property without fear of termination. (The internet is your friend, see what happened to her.) Guess what, this year Nashville passed it so fast Al Jazzera Gore head is still spinning off. He lost the Presidency because he didn't carry Tennessee. He lost his home state because of his gun control views.

When I worked as an enforcement officer with the state in the 90-92 it was an entirely different story. The state was royal blue, they had the house, senate and the governor's chair. Was it a big deal? not really. Is it a big deal now that the rolls have reversed, not really.

We got our nickname because of the VOLUNTEERS who went to fight the king's tyranny....especially in the Battle of New Orleans. I just don't think we would have had the success if there was a sign posted "NO FIREARMS". It's not the gun but the heart.

Now the POTUS is ginning up the debate again saying AMERICA doesn't care about the last mass shooting at the Navy Yard unless we surrender some of our 2nd amendment rights. That is total B.S.

If I recall "shotgun" Joe was telling everyone to go get a shotgun, you don't NEED an AR. From the reports I am reading a shotgun was used in this last tragic murder scene.

I am a ONE issue voter and that will never "change".

A ONE issue voter is an ignorant citizen. Sorry, Gomer, but you need to widen your horizon(s) a bit.