Don't run and gun they said...

Over70irregs

You do it in 9
You say no one does it in less than 12....
I take 12.5

How much more do I make for the same amount of work?

1/2 hour at time and a half.
Plus 3 hours at triple time once I file a 9.5 grievance.

At 38 per hour.... $370.50 per day.

$1852.5 more per week

$96, 000 more per year

By NOT running
Triple time?

RolloTony Brown Town

We have a semi rural route I considered 10 years ago.

100 stops was 9.5.

Runner won the bid.
He burned 100 in 8 daily.
He is at 140 now.
Good route ruined.

I had a driver that worked for me in a rural building... He could burn it up whenever he felt, like most drivers can.

He would file 9.5, burn it up if we took the work off and go over 9.5 if he had more than he wanted. 10 stops difference and he’d make sure he was over 9.5.

I personally preferred the guy that was burning it up so I kept the work off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never understood the rationale for exclusively crossing behind the pkg car. Generally speaking, either way is dangerous and requires alertness. My on-car trained me that crossing 25 ft in front is fine. I use both, my choice always depends on the situation, and either way I'm using my ears to detect traffic before I can see it.

Yes, crossing 25' ahead of the pkg car is fine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don’t understand the rationale of pulling in the mirror. Has UPS never heard of keeping your hands inside at all times? If you pull in the mirror to avoid cars hitting, means there’s a chance that a car will hit the mirror when you’re pulling/pushing the mirror and destroy your hand. :censored2: the mirror, I’ll keep my hand. And let’s not forget the old PCs with the mirrors way out front where you have to stick your whole arm out.

We had a driver who had legally parked in a loading zone in a very touristy town come back to the pkg car to find that the drivers side mirror, which he failed to pull in, had been ripped off when an RV drifted a bit too close to his PC.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Ah I remember when I was rookie and thought I was Captain UPS.

my motto now, “I give you back the day that you give me”

I made $120K last year in package and barely broke a sweat. I’m at least 3 hours over-allowed everyday.

I enjoy my job much more now than I did when I was a sweaty, dirty, running rookie.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Working Overtime Is More Taxing Than You Think

The payoff for overtime work appears to be a very good deal for the employee. But here’s some unpleasant news. Thanks to the rising burden of taxes, the bonus income actually received from working longer hours is much less than one might think. That is because every extra hour worked is taxed at the worker’s highest marginal tax rate. In some cases, overtime work may even push the worker into a higher tax bracket.

It turns out that even if the worker receives time and a half for overtime, a surprisingly large share of the bonus wages goes straight to the tax collector.
Is this the reason that you would come in early and work off the clock, to keep you out of a higher tax bracket?

Phenom5

You don't want to see paychecks like that.

He worked 17 hours of overtime-----that is roughly 3.5 hours per day.

Do you realize that Uncle Sam takes the bulk of most of the OT worked after the first 8 hours of OT? At that point you are basically working to pay the taxes on that money. How does that make any sense?

Budget based on 40 and you won't have to work 57 hours.

Never came anywhere near this at any time during my 30 years.

That's not how taxes work. But do agree plan life off 40 and money is no issue.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
$39k for the year? That's below poverty level.

My last paycheck:

- CURRENT PAY RATE 37.64
- REGULAR 37.640 40.00 1,505.60
- OVERTIME 56.460 20.00 1,129.20
- DBLTIME 75.280 5.76 433.61
- TOTAL HOURS WORKED 65.76
- CURRENT TOTALS 3,068.41
- Y-T-D TOTALS 1,097.05 49,058.82
Nice, took 4 weeks of vacation already, put me behind a little. If you max your 401k, watch out at the end of the year, you might get restricted on how much they’ll let you contribute.