Eff’d Up Power Pads: Need to Vent

MassWineGuy

What a day. Fine til about 5:30 when my Power Pad crashed, never to be rebooted again. I was very busy and had many stops. After learning no one was available at the station to deliver another, I told dispatch the situation and, after closing out the FXO, I returned to building to find a working unit.

Back on the road I suggested that dispatch reassign some stops because time was getting tight. Never happened. This particular dispatcher doesn’t know the routes and isn’t very experienced.

Long and short of it: I had to abandon three stops to get what I had back for sort. I felt terrible, but I fundamentally believe the mess wasn’t my doing. But I do regret letting customers down.

Maybe FedEx will write it off as an act of god.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx needs to write it off as “* happens.”

In the old days if this were to happen with a tracker that quit, someone would have brought you another and some of the those stops would have been reassigned.

Today it’s obviously way different. Bottom line, Fred’s too cheap. He gets what he pays for including a green dispatcher who likely wasn’t trained very well and third rate garbage equipment.

If they hassle you over this tell ‘em to cry you a river.

Last edited by a moderator:

dezguy

What a day. Fine til about 5:30 when my Power Pad crashed, never to be rebooted again. I was very busy and had many stops. After learning no one was available at the station to deliver another, I told dispatch the situation and, after closing out the FXO, I returned to building to find a working unit.

Back on the road I suggested that dispatch reassign some stops because time was getting tight. Never happened. This particular dispatcher doesn’t know the routes and isn’t very experienced.

Long and short of it: I had to abandon three stops to get what I had back for sort. I felt terrible, but I fundamentally believe the mess wasn’t my doing. But I do regret letting customers down.

Don't even sweat it. You did your part, you tried to get help and it didn't happen. You didn't let customers down.

AB831

I wouldn’t feel bad at all. You were given faulty equipment by a company who can afford to give you something that works. When it failed, you were failed by the stop gaps there to help you. FedEx will come up with a lie to swindle the customer or just pass the buck to someone else. I wouldn’t trouble yourself with it for 5 seconds more.

MassWineGuy

Thank you, everyone.

We were supposed to get LEO last summer, then January. Then March and then this month. Now it’s next year.

cosis

Our station is still using Powerpads. They have delayed the LEO upgrade several times also. Last I heard was next Feb. Benefit to having a route close to the station is I can pop by if the PP crashes.

MassWineGuy

Our station is still using Powerpads. They have delayed the LEO upgrade several times also. Last I heard was next Feb. Benefit to having a route close to the station is I can pop by if the PP crashes.

Ditto. My manager told me to take two Power Pads with me every day.

dezguy

One thing I really don’t understand is, with all the new Leos, why is there a shortage of Powerpads and batteries???
I know ours were packed up for refurbishment and they were being sent to Mexico for ops to use there. Apparently, they are still using the first gen power pads?

MassWineGuy

I watched the training video for LEO yesterday. It doesn’t look as straightforward as I had hoped. Many aspects are strongly counter intuitive. I am going to struggle at first. Can’t wait to see how well managers can help. They will be equally confused.

NC man

U asked for help, not your fault.we have new pup guy in my area,pt. Month ago he never asked for help or told dispatch he was in trouble.about 1730 I get assigned 4 pups that closed at 1700! Still del so they someone to go by but of course no one there, bank, dentist office etc. those people leave they are not waiting around for us .

whenIgetthere

We got the LEO last summer. It's got good and bad things about. One good, the charger mounted in the truck. I put it on the charger on my stem time (45 minutes) and if I know I have more than a few minutes between stops. When I head back after my pick ups and it's usually 90% or above.

McFeely

Huge Member
I watched the training video for LEO yesterday. It doesn’t look as straightforward as I had hoped. Many aspects are strongly counter intuitive. I am going to struggle at first. Can’t wait to see how well managers can help. They will be equally confused.

You're mainly a PU driver right? You'll be fine after a couple of days. As a pup driver, the biggest pain is going to be airbills and those med paks that you have to enter the zip/city/state because Leo doesn't have a "Same As Last" function yet.

Overall, I much prefer the Leo. Today I worked SDR on a route I don't know at all. Used the map and made service with zero issues.