Express raises.

DontThrowPackages

Must be a new training video threatening you for lates.

Slow and steady wins the race and in this case the race is your life and all the others you hold in your hands on the road.

If they haven't fired the guy who runs his route at 80% they sure aren't going to fire you for some lates
Yes. Just as a cop uses the golden phase, "He reached for his waist band. Fearing for my safety....". If a courier is giving an honesty effort and is having lates, he needs to tell his manager, " I don't feel safe doing any more...". But don't think he can sit under a tree and talk on the cell phone during P1 only to cry about being overwhelmed with deliveries. That kind of employee only hurts his fellow workers who really are in need of help. I can't remember the last time a manager went on a check ride with anyone.

l22

Couriers WAD. Part of WAD is using the proper methods - CBP and defensive driving. All a courier needs to do is come back not having had an accident and deliver/pickup the freight as instructed. If lates happen, it's out of the courier's hands. Follow CBP and defensive driving techniques as taught by the company. If a courier is having continuous lates his route needs to be adjusted so that he doesn't anymore. The only thing a courier should say to a manager is please give me a checkride/run the route with me in the passenger seat when questioned about on-road performance. I've seen too many couriers take these things so personally and sabotage their employment by going off on managers when questioned about on-road performance. When questioned about on-road performance just keep it simple: request a checkride and that they do the route with you in the passenger seat. That's all.

Too many new couriers feel that going above and beyond is running your butt off and driving like a maniac. Frankly, this is because some couriers who have been there just a little longer than the new couriers still don't understand what policy states and intimidate these new couriers into thinking they need to never have lates and it's entirely on them if they do. More employees need to take the time to educate themselves with what policy states. Along with that, too many couriers feel intimidated by gap reports/olccs. Those don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things and you can always choose not to sign them. Above all, the company expects safety above all and they have been clear about that in policy. If you want to go above and beyond for the company, yourself and your fellow human beings, please just be safe out there. Being safe often means going slow as speed is often the thing that can cause accidents/injuries. Whether it's just backing too fast or speeding so fast it's too late to get out of the situation you've gotten into as you have little control at such a high speed...

Last edited:

overflowed

You can have hundreds of lates. If you say you will have lates, really nothing they can do if you say so. Doesn't matter in the least. Just ask for help before you leave. They usually say do your best.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can have hundreds of lates. If you say you will have lates, really nothing they can do if you say so. Doesn't matter in the least. Just ask for help before you leave. They usually say do your best.

I do have to give my management team credit as they do not tolerate lates and will do all that they can to make sure that we don't have any. They will print out all of the NDA for each area and the drivers will go through that list to make sure they can make service and notify mgt if there are any that they may or may not be able to deliver on time. NDA lates are a huge deal for us.

Purplepackage

I do have to give my management team credit as they do not tolerate lates and will do all that they can to make sure that we don't have any. They will print out all of the NDA for each area and the drivers will go through that list to make sure they can make service and notify mgt if there are any that they may or may not be able to deliver on time. NDA lates are a huge deal for us.

I think NDA for you is the same as FO service for us, FOs are things that have to be there between 7-10am depending on service area and cost a :censored2: load of money depending on what it is

SmithBarney

We have 3 levels of NDA service---EAM, NDA and NDA Saver---with commit times based on zip code.

yes both companies have service that mirror each other(roughly)
EAM(early am) = First Overnight(FO)
NDA(Next Day Air) = Priority Overnight(PO)
NDAS(Air Saver) = Standard Overnight
And
2Day = 2day
3day(does UPS still have this) = Express Saver(3day)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Must have been a high rate of claims being filed.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Mainly because management has tricked them into thinking they will be fired for lates

If they haven't fired the guy who runs his route at 80% they sure aren't going to fire you for some lates

I only know one person who was fired for lates. He was running his route in a way to have extra late pkgs to "prove" his route was too demanding. He would sometimes have 2 stops left, with one having 1 P1 and the other having 10 or so (medical facility). He'd make the medical place late when he could easily make it on time with the other stop being the late. All to make a statement.

You've got a good point, though. Lackluster performance is so common because they tolerate it.

Purplepackage

I only know one person who was fired for lates. He was running his route in a way to have extra late pkgs to "prove" his route was too demanding. He would sometimes have 2 stops left, with one having 1 P1 and the other having 10 or so (medical facility). He'd make the medical place late when he could easily make it on time with the other stop being the late. All to make a statement.

You've got a good point, though. Lackluster performance is so common because they tolerate it.

Something was posted on our bulletin board today about if you have any overlooked p1 you will get an OLCC. Well if that's the case then so be it, over looking a p1 happens and it especially happens if your one of the guys sipping on the sort and someone else is loading your truck

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Something was posted on our bulletin board today about if you have any overlooked p1 you will get an OLCC. Well if that's the case then so be it, over looking a p1 happens and it especially happens if your one of the guys sipping on the sort and someone else is loading your truck
Just another management power-play and today's hot button just so happens to be P1 lates. Tomorrow it's Express Savers delivered to odd numbered businesses before 15:13. They might as well post this ridiculous stuff like a school lunch menu.

l22

I feel like something is missing in this story because he wasn't falsifying anything. If his manager told him to deliver to the medical place first if it came down to those 2 stops left and he did not do it, that would be an issue, but I don't see how he could be fired for it. No one can get fired for lates. You can get fired for accidents/occurences, falsification, fighting and failing a drug test.

l22

They can try and give the OLCC but you don't have to sign it and can state that you were not given enough time to scan the packages that were loaded into your truck by someone else when you finally got the chance to get to your truck.