FULL TIMERS still in PROGRESSION with seniority date by Aug 1st! Did you file your grievance!?!

upschuck

Case study

Seniority date : May 1, 2018

May 1,2018 18.75
Aug 1, 2018 21.00 --- 18.75 + .70(gwi) = 19.45, but it can't be less than 21
May 1, 2019 23.00 -- progression raise
Aug 1, 2019 23.75 -- gwi raise
May 1, 2020 24.00 -- progression raise, can't be below $24
Aug 1, 2020 24.80 -- gwi raise
May 1, 2021 28.75 -- progression raise, can't be below $28.75
Aug 1, 2021 29.65 -- gwi raise
May 1, 2022 Top rate -- progression raise
Aug 1, 2022+ Top rate + gwi -- gwi raise.

This is exactly what the language states.

ARTICLE 41. FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES

Section 1. Full-time Wage Increases All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2018 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year. The total wage increase for the year will be as follows:
2018 seventy cents ($0.70)
2019 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2020 eighty cents ($0.80)
2021 ninety cents ($0.90)
2022 one dollar ($1.00)

Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the above contractual increases.
They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with Article 41, Section 2 below.

Section 2. Full-time Wage Progression (a) Notwithstanding any provision in any Supplements, Riders or Addendum the progressions set forth in Sections 2(c) and 3 below will be controlling with regard to any employee entering a full-time job after August 1, 2018 covered by those Sections. (b) No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one (1) time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period. (c) The progression for employees entering a package car driving, feeder or other full-time job (other than an air driver, Article 43 jobs or a job covered by Sections 3, 4 or 6 below) after August 1, 2018 shall be as follows:
Start 21.00
Twelve (12) months 23.00
Twenty-four (24) months 24.00
Thirty-six (36) months 28.75
Forty-eight (48) months Top Rate

542thruNthru

Case study

May 1,2018 18.75

It's not worth it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
ARTICLE 41. FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES

Section 1. Full-time Wage Increases All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2018 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year. The total wage increase for the year will be as follows:
2018 seventy cents ($0.70)
2019 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2020 eighty cents ($0.80)
2021 ninety cents ($0.90)
2022 one dollar ($1.00)

Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the above contractual increases.
They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with Article 41, Section 2 below.

Section 2. Full-time Wage Progression (a) Notwithstanding any provision in any Supplements, Riders or Addendum the progressions set forth in Sections 2(c) and 3 below will be controlling with regard to any employee entering a full-time job after August 1, 2018 covered by those Sections. (b) No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one (1) time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period. (c) The progression for employees entering a package car driving, feeder or other full-time job (other than an air driver, Article 43 jobs or a job covered by Sections 3, 4 or 6 below) after August 1, 2018 shall be as follows:
Start 21.00
Twelve (12) months 23.00
Twenty-four (24) months 24.00
Thirty-six (36) months 28.75
Forty-eight (48) months Top Rate

I didn't ask you to post the entire article. I asked you to post the date that gwi is given. It's a trick. There is no date for gwi in article 41. I will explain more later.

BigJamesBrown

Im under the 09-13 contract. I did not get GWI’s. Only progression bumps. Should i be calling the Hall?
the same language as the current contract an article 41 Section 1 and was not paid your GWI WHILE still in progression you don't have anything to lose, and a couple of grand to gain! grievance time!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ok, let's use the example of David A Oopser.

Dave attained seniority May 2018. He was making $18.75, then, come August 1st he makes $21.00 because of the language saying he gets the increases, but not less than what he is entitled to per section 2.

The language says the gwi is per contract year, and does not give a date the gwi is to be paid. UPS has to give everyone the increases in the contract as of August 1st 2018 per the agreement with the union, hence the retro checks.

Now, May 2019 swings around, Dave gets bumped up to his new progression rate of $23 per hour. He has now had two increases in the same contract year, which more than satisfies the gwi requirement for year one of the contract. August 1st 2019 rolls around, he gets gwi again, right? According to what? There is no date for the gwi in the contract. As long as his progression bump the following May satisfies the gwi amount and is no less than what he is owed according to the progression schedule, he has gotten what he is entitled to for contract year 2. And so on until he tops out.

Everyone else gets the gwi August 1st because they are already topped out, and that was the date of the original gwi for the new contract. Two contracts back they split the gwi and had dates for each raise, that was the last time the language supports the idea of gwi as well as progression. The dates were taken out last contract, and gwi continued to be paid out August 1st establishing precedent for that date. What there is no precedent for is gwi as well as progression, and the language certainly does not support gwi on top of progression.

The language states:
"Section 1. Full-time Wage Increases All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2018 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year."

It does not say the increases must be paid out August 1st, just for each contract year.

So question bout the 70 cents. So my BA said the 70 cents were included in my progression. My progression is in February in which I moved to 23 based off of old contract. The gwi was from 8/1/2018 so where is the 70 cents? I moved to 24 month progression in February and know make 24.75. For my 70cents to be included in my 24 month progression would mean that I would receive my gwi later than August 1? That alone is a grievance or not? Because I'm going from August 1 2018 to February without the 70cents which is when I get my progressions?

ManInBrown

So after Jan 1st but before Aug 1st 2013 was when you started FT progression?

Look at your pay rate a week after Aug 1st 2014. If you were making $20.20 an hour then no you got your raise.
Yes. After Jan 1st before August 1st and I just looked. I was making $18.45 on August 8th 2014. Sounds like someone owes me a bunch of money.

ManInBrown

Don't know if that's true. If he's just finding out about it he may be able to file. But yes I'm sure it will probably be denied.
I actually questioned this exact topic years ago, while I was in progression and was told multiple things by different people. Drivers who completed progression on the previous contract from me, told me they didn’t get GWI. But one driver said he did get it.

542thruNthru

Yes. After Jan 1st before August 1st and I just looked. I was making $18.45 on August 8th 2014. Sounds like someone owes me a bunch of money.

That's even below the progression rate. The contract may not have been ratified at that time. I don't remember when it was ratified.

upschuck

Ok, let's use the example of David A Oopser.

Dave attained seniority May 2018. He was making $18.75, then, come August 1st he makes $21.00 because of the language saying he gets the increases, but not less than what he is entitled to per section 2.

The language says the gwi is per contract year, and does not give a date the gwi is to be paid. UPS has to give everyone the increases in the contract as of August 1st 2018 per the agreement with the union, hence the retro checks.

Now, May 2019 swings around, Dave gets bumped up to his new progression rate of $23 per hour. He has now had two increases in the same contract year, which more than satisfies the gwi requirement for year one of the contract. August 1st 2019 rolls around, he gets gwi again, right? According to what? There is no date for the gwi in the contract. As long as his progression bump the following May satisfies the gwi amount and is no less than what he is owed according to the progression schedule, he has gotten what he is entitled to for contract year 2. And so on until he tops out.

Everyone else gets the gwi August 1st because they are already topped out, and that was the date of the original gwi for the new contract. Two contracts back they split the gwi and had dates for each raise, that was the last time the language supports the idea of gwi as well as progression. The dates were taken out last contract, and gwi continued to be paid out August 1st establishing precedent for that date. What there is no precedent for is gwi as well as progression, and the language certainly does not support gwi on top of progression.

The language states:
"Section 1. Full-time Wage Increases All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2018 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year."

It does not say the increases must be paid out August 1st, just for each contract year.
Contract year is from Aug 1 thru July 31, so Aug 1 is as early as you could get, which is when we get it.

upschuck

So question bout the 70 cents. So my BA said the 70 cents were included in my progression. My progression is in February in which I moved to 23 based off of old contract. The gwi was from 8/1/2018 so where is the 70 cents? I moved to 24 month progression in February and know make 24.75. For my 70cents to be included in my 24 month progression would mean that I would receive my gwi later than August 1? That alone is a grievance or not? Because I'm going from August 1 2018 to February without the 70cents which is when I get my progressions?

See below

Case study

May 1,2018 18.75

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Contract year is from Aug 1 thru July 31, so Aug 1 is as early as you could get, which is when we get it.

It's not set in the language, so it is determined by a combination of factors. As long as a full timer covered by the article gets an increase equal to or greater than the gwi during the contract year, the language is satisfied. The ones in progression at the time of the new contract get the increase as of August 1st of the first year of the contract, then another at their seniority date. That puts them ahead of the game, and nothing says they have to get another increase the next August 1st.

Last edited:

BigJamesBrown

Case study

May 1,2018 18.75

If what you're saying is true why hasn't any of that happened in the past contracts?