FULL TIMERS still in PROGRESSION with seniority date by Aug 1st! Did you file your grievance!?!

Turdferguson

Just a turd
You are the one who thnks they can give the raise anytime they want to. SMH
Point out in the new contract where it says we get a raise on August 1st of each year?.
You can find it in the old one because they say August 1st of each year. That language was stricken or omitted and the new one.
You are either illiterate or purposely lying

upschuck

Point out in the new contract where it says we get a raise on August 1st of each year?.
You can find it in the old one because they say August 1st of each year. That language was stricken or omitted and the new one.
You are either illiterate or purposely lying
Ask for a later pay raise date, go ahead, do it. Why do you want a later pay raise date?

oldngray

nowhere special
I dont. You were arguing that it says we get a raise on August 1st each year. The contract doesn't say that.
Words have meaning, words have meaning
that word.png

BigJamesBrown

In the past it specifically states a date of August 1st for a raise. New contract doesn't. Just pointing it out
I became a full time employee on August 8, and in August 1, this year I was at $18/h. They gave me the .75 GWI for the dates between August 1 and August 7 ($18.75). Now I’m at $21, while my buddy who made full time two weeks before me is at $21.75. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for him, but I’m confused. Am I supposed to receive $21 or $21.75? Should I fill a grievance?
As of August 1st 2018 the terms of the new contract were in place, that means the starting rate for you should have been$21

$21 for the new starting rate!
File a grievance for the $21 an hour!

Rjfitzy

Ugh.... you guys are killin me... can someone give a DEFINITIVE answer on what the rates are to be? Anyone affected by gwi increases are at least in 2nd year of progression... should we be at 23.75 or 24.45??? Friend of mine was only bumped to 24 for 3rd year rate.. should he be at 25.45??? What is the word???

Ugh.... you guys are killin me... can someone give a DEFINITIVE answer on what the rates are to be? Anyone affected by gwi increases are at least in 2nd year of progression... should we be at 23.75 or 24.45??? Friend of mine was only bumped to 24 for 3rd year rate.. should he be at 25.45??? What is the word???
AEMyf9Oj6MpS8.gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Preposterous!!! What you are directly goes against THE THEORY of RELATIVITY because you can't have one thing occupying two different spaces in time!!!

The raise in pay can't be the starting wage increase, the progression wage increase, and the gwi increase all at the same time, but at different times of the contract in the same contract year!

IMPOSSIBLE!!!

The laws of physics don't apply to contract theory. Sorry to break it you.

Cannot be paid less than that because the $21 an hour becomes the new starting rate! It doesn't have anything to do with progression or gwi, again the $21 is simply the new starting rate of a new contract...

This is demonstrably incorrect. The $21 per hour is set by the new progression schedule. That rate is not listed anywhere outside of the progression schedule. It is not some magical new "starting rate" of the new contract.

What about it? That was the beginning date of the last year of the old contract, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the new contract.

The terms of the new contract started August 1st 2018, anything Pryor to that date is still under the old contract. The two contracts do not mesh, combine, and/or consolidate at any time.

This is also demonstrably incorrect. Article 41 section 2 directly references the prior contract. And this is not the only place the old language has an impact on the new language.

You even contradict yourself from one post to the next.

No it would not! The contract specifically says "prior to August 1st", prior to August 1st is the only way this contract can work that's why with A SENIORITY DATE PRIOR to AUGUST 1st 2018 IS IN THERE BECAUSE THE CONTRACT DOES NOT WORK or MAKE SENSE WITHOUT THAT LANGUAGE!!!

You acknowledge right here that there is an interplay between the new and old contract, just a few posts after saying the two have nothing to do with each other. The contract says full time employees who have reached seniority... According to what? A prior contract, that's what.

Okay you already lost me and the first sentence! First of all $18.75 is the starting rate from the old contract which has nothing to do with the start of your rate of the new contract. The old contract has been or is going to be for filled when the new contract comes in August 1st so let's not talk about the $18.75 again please!

Still wrong. The rates are set by the progression schedule. It is not at "starting rate of the new contract". You have to acknowledge prior pay rates, otherwise you will not be able to calculate new pay rates. It's basic cause and effect, and if you don't understand that, I'm probably wasting my time trying to explain more complex ideas. If your argument is correct, then topped out employees would get the new top rate they are entitled to plus the gwi. That doesn't work, though, because the new top rate is established by the gwi.
New contract started August 1st 2018 with a new hire rate of $21 an hour. You can't tell me that all new hires come in at $21 an hour, and the guys that have a seniority date prior to August first 2018 received the same hourly rate and then go ahead and try to convince me that the guys with a seniority date prior to August 1st 2018 have received a general wage increase while still making the same $21 as a guy walking through the door with no seniority at all!!!!!

That is how it works, the part timers are getting it much worse, too. What is the actual difference between someone with a seniority date of 7/31/18 and someone with a seniority date on 8/2/18? There isn't really one. People with earlier seniority dates in progression will move to the next progression rate earlier than those with a later seniority date, that's one of the benefits of having more seniority.

The Retro checks is not for the jump in starting rate rates between the old contract and the new, the Retro check is a direct result of UPS dragging their feet and delayed Union negotiations all while still l paying full-time employees the old starting rate of $18.75 after August 1st 2018.

The new contract ushered in a new starting rate of $21.

I'm not leaving the other retro check scenarios out I'm just trying to keep this as simple as I can. I do understand that other retro checks were issued for other full-time employees in the progression Spectrum who's pay rate also did not change because of the delays. Also let's not forget about the guys that were at top rate that were waiting for their gwi as of August 1st but did not receive their retro check until months later.

I'm not going to bog this matter down even more by addressing retro-pay. That's really not relevant here anyway.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You are the one who thnks they can give the raise anytime they want to. SMH

Going based solely on the language from article 41, UPS could technically have delayed gwi this year until the end of December. Between precedent and intent of the language, the Union would not have let that happen (I hope!). What UPS could do, and probably not get an objection, is give next years gwi any time before August 1st, and then set that as the new gwi date for future contract years. They can only do that because the contract does not specify August 1st as the date. This is also why seniority full timers in progression at the beginning of the contract aren't entitled to gwi on August 1st. The amounts of their progression bumps, in any case I can think of, each contract year satisfy the language for yearly increases.

Once again, if UPS wants to give the gwi to those employees, that's their prerogative. But the contract language does not require it.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

It seems that some people in progression have gotten the gwi this year, but I haven't heard of anyone getting last years gwi on top of their progression bump. For those who got the gwi this year, there is no reason to believe that it will be cumulative in addition to their next progression increase. The only thing you are guaranteed is spelled out in the progression schedule that applies to you in section 2 of Article 41.

BigJamesBrown

What is the seniority date?

We have alot of new hires hired between June-July 2018. However they didn't obtain their 30 days till after Aug 1 2018. Would they still be eligible? They were hired under the old contract after all.

BigJamesBrown

We have alot of new hires hired between June-July 2018. However they didn't obtain their 30 days till after Aug 1 2018. Would they still be eligible? They were hired under the old contract after all.
All full-time hires with a seniority date ON OR AFTER AUGUST 1ST 2018 are not eligible for the GWI, they are only entitled to the new starting rate of $21 ,and progression raises of $23, $24, $28.75 then they go to top rate.

BigJamesBrown

The laws of physics don't apply to contract theory. Sorry to break it you.

This is demonstrably incorrect. The $21 per hour is set by the new progression schedule. That rate is not listed anywhere outside of the progression schedule. It is not some magical new "starting rate" of the new contract.

This is also demonstrably incorrect. Article 41 section 2 directly references the prior contract. And this is not the only place the old language has an impact on the new language.

You even contradict yourself from one post to the next.

You acknowledge right here that there is an interplay between the new and old contract, just a few posts after saying the two have nothing to do with each other. The contract says full time employees who have reached seniority... According to what? A prior contract, that's what.

Still wrong. The rates are set by the progression schedule. It is not at "starting rate of the new contract". You have to acknowledge prior pay rates, otherwise you will not be able to calculate new pay rates. It's basic cause and effect, and if you don't understand that, I'm probably wasting my time trying to explain more complex ideas. If your argument is correct, then topped out employees would get the new top rate they are entitled to plus the gwi. That doesn't work, though, because the new top rate is established by the gwi.

That is how it works, the part timers are getting it much worse, too. What is the actual difference between someone with a seniority date of 7/31/18 and someone with a seniority date on 8/2/18? There isn't really one. People with earlier seniority dates in progression will move to the next progression rate earlier than those with a later seniority date, that's one of the benefits of having more seniority.

I'm not going to bog this matter down even more by addressing retro-pay. That's really not relevant here anyway.
You misinterpreting what I said it's not me contradicting myself!

I'm going to ask you a question so that you can prove your own self Incorrect, and I don't have to debate the issue with you any further.

On what date does the old contract end and on what date does the new contract begin?

In order for what you are saying to be correct about the new rate of $21 being a progression and not the new starting rate, the contracts would have to be contemporaneous on a given day.

I said I was going to ask one question, but I will have to ask you two.

So my second question for you is "on which days does the old contract and the new contract run concurrently?"