Ground taking over

bacha29

Once Fred padded their wallets.
Just as we saw with the Ground settlement. Walk in there and dump 600 million bucks on the table. All litigation ends, the plaintiffs attorney specs out his yacht, contractors get the scraps that have fallen on the floor, still not knowing if they are contractor or employee and Fat Freddy walks away laughing over his shoulder.

But that doesn't guarantee that there won't be a challenge to the exemption in federal court sometime in the future.

It will be fine

Just as we saw with the Ground settlement. Walk in there and dump 600 million bucks on the table. All litigation ends, the plaintiffs attorney specs out his yacht, contractors get the scraps that have fallen on the floor, still not knowing if they are contractor or employee and Fat Freddy walks away laughing over his shoulder.

But that doesn't guarantee that there won't be a challenge to the exemption in federal court sometime in the future.
Who exactly is going to be funding and pursuing this imaginary court challenge?

bacha29

Who exactly is going to be funding and pursuing this imaginary court challenge?
We can start with the Federal Trade Commission. Then perhaps when competition gets even tougher one of the carriers or perhaps in partnership with other carriers decides that's it's worth a challenge.

Don't expect a challenge until the final restructuring of FDX is in place and other carriers have a chance to better examine that new operating structure. So you're looking at 4-5 years minimum.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

At the risk of sounding just like you.....where exactly did you earn your degree in jurisprudence???

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
At this point, all I see is that, removing the RLA exemption, FedEx will simply accelerate the plan to have an all contractor delivery system, and the elimination of all DGO employees..

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We can start with the Federal Trade Commission. Then perhaps when competition gets even tougher one of the carriers or perhaps in partnership with other carriers decides that's it's worth a challenge.

Don't expect a challenge until the final restructuring of FDX is in place and other carriers have a chance to better examine that new operating structure. So you're looking at 4-5 years minimum.

You don't have the slightest clue as to what you're talking about.

The FTC can't challenge it because, for one, it doesn't have standing to do so. Other carriers can't challenge it for the same reason. Unions or other organizations representing employees of Express CAN challenge it, as they have done in the past, and will lose for the same reason(s) they lost in the past.

At the risk of sounding just like you.....where exactly did you earn your degree in jurisprudence???
In his dreams after a few pints of Thunderbird.

59 Dano

At this point, all I see is that, removing the RLA exemption, FedEx will simply accelerate the plan to have an all contractor delivery system, and the elimination of all DGO employees..
You are correct and I pointed this out a few years ago. Should the RLA be amended with a special big money specific special interest exclusion targeting one class of employees from one single employer (essentially a bill of attainder), Express would spin off most driving jobs.

bacha29

Same place Dano got his. He thinks that the RLA is the Eleventh Commandment. He thinks that no one dares to challenge it because it's God's will.

The thing that you have to think about here is that as the years go by and the percentage of it's total freight volume that is handled directly by FDX planes and directly employed FDX workers falls to the level it would appear to be headed it might just serve to reinforce a complaint that they are not materially participating at a level that would qualify it for that exemption.

vantexan

Same place Dano got his. He thinks that the RLA is the Eleventh Commandment. He thinks that no one dares to challenge it because it's God's will.

The thing that you have to think about here is that as the years go by and the percentage of it's total freight volume that is handled directly by FDX planes and directly employed FDX workers falls to the level it would appear to be headed it might just serve to reinforce a complaint that they are not materially participating at a level that would qualify it for that exemption.
The exemption that says scheduled airlines fall under the Railroad Labor Act? Why would package delivery remove Express from the RLA?

MAKAVELI

You are correct and I pointed this out a few years ago. Should the RLA be amended with a special big money specific special interest exclusion targeting one class of employees from one single employer (essentially a bill of attainder), Express would spin off most driving jobs.
If they thought they could without sinking the company, they would've done it years ago. They are simply trying to buy time and placate investors at this point. They painted themselves into a corner with having separate OPCOs, on e all employees, the other contractors. Raj and the rest of management has no clue of what they're doing.

59 Dano

If they thought they could without sinking the company, they would've done it years ago. They are simply trying to buy time and placate investors at this point. They painted themselves into a corner with having separate OPCOs, on e all employees, the other contractors. Raj and the rest of management has no clue of what they're doing.
Express is subbing out lower yield and higher expense work to lower cost contractors. CRAZY!

It will be fine

They’ve been working on it for years, probably a decade at this point. They built the opcos independently and it’s taking a while to fix all the backend issues that caused.

You guys have claimed for years that it’s impossible to contract out express packages because it’s so hard to deliver them. I personally love that you’re being proven wrong. I love that they are laying off the entitled express drivers. Good riddance.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You "get it". Dano and the Usual Suspects want us all to believe that this changeover is "simple". It isn't. FDX just cannot unilaterally decide that one of its own opcos is a Third Party and then reap the financial rewards of having low-wage contract workers perform much of the Express system work.

They also act like nobody at the competition and/or regulators have taken notice. Again, just a "simple" shift in operations. Afraid not. Losing the RLA is just one of several issues involved. Because it is so inconsequential, Dano and his fellow "thinkers" continue to cite legal precedents and rulings that apply to an organization whose operations have fundamentally changed. The RLA has always been a gift to FedEx, but the circumstances surrounding Fred's 52 year-old Christmas present are now extremely sketchy.

This reminds me of Trump and all of his tough talk about simple solutions to very complex problems and issues. The only thing "simple" about what they're doing are the minds that think Picard has just said "Make It So, #1" and poof, it's magically accomplished.

Be assured that the checks are flying fast and furious and that FedEx lobbyists are working OT to ensure this fiasco floats. This turd is headed to the bottom of the punch bowl.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You guys have claimed for years that it’s impossible to contract out express packages because it’s so hard to deliver them. I personally love that you’re being proven wrong. I love that they are laying off the entitled express drivers. Good riddance.
Don’t recall anyone saying what you claim was said.

What was said was that cost-effectively delivering overnight freight, ON TIME, is impossible for Ground to duplicate within the same parameters and indices Express is/was held to.

Your optimism and enthusiasm will dry up if you are held accountable for the money back guarantee.

Guaranteed!

MAKAVELI

They’ve been working on it for years, probably a decade at this point. They built the opcos independently and it’s taking a while to fix all the backend issues that caused.

The delivery part is not hard. It's the logistics part that will fail. Have you even planned your routes possibly delivering priority freight and on call pick ups along with ground freight?

vantexan

Because package delivery has no functions related to the airline.
How does that take away the RLA status of Express? The RLA status isn't about package delivery, it's about Express being a scheduled airline. Bacha said that more and more freight going to Ground will cause Express to lose its RLA status. How? Serious question.

MAKAVELI

How does that take away the RLA status of Express? The RLA status isn't about package delivery, it's about Express being a scheduled airline. Bacha said that more and more freight going to Ground will cause Express to lose its RLA status. How? Serious question.
Because the two OPCOs were completely separated with different systems. FedEx Express got the RLA status before Ground and kept it with the scam of two separate OPCOs. That's clearly not going to be the case in the near future thus making a single operating system like UPS. Why should Express drivers be covered under the RLA when the two are clearly being combined?