Half hour breaks?

Maui

It doesn’t matter what he/she does when the company uses idiotic benchmarks like “stops per hour” and courier hours as its currency. It pretty much eliminates all accountability on their part. I don’t think you realize just how easy managers have it at this company compared to others.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Compared to what other companies?

CatMan

Significant increase in stop density and delayed P1 commit time of 1200 that enables more standalones... why are there SPH issues????

You think the reattempts are the issue?
It doesn’t help when you have to turn around for a 12 min round trip for a reattempt and if you have to break route multiple times then yes , it's a big factor.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Why's that? Because I lack the mettle to sit behind a desk and justify my existence all day a la FedEx management?

If you think SPH is an 'idiotic benchmark' and that onroad hours shouldn't be used as 'currency,' tell us how you determine the productivity of a station's onroad performance.

59 Dano

It doesn’t help when you have to turn around for a 12 min round trip for a reattempt and if you have to break route multiple times then yes , it's a big factor.

12 minutes makes that much of a difference when stop counts are at an unprecedented level for this time of year? LOL!

AB831

If you think SPH is an 'idiotic benchmark' and that onroad hours shouldn't be used as 'currency,' tell us how you determine the productivity of a station's onroad performance.
Oh gee, I don’t know. Maybe with dollars and cents like a normal business. How does it cut down on labor costs to collapse the route of a part time worker who’s making $19 an hour whenever there’s late freight and dump his route on a full time, topped out driver who will consequently get 2 hours of overtime at $40+ an hour? It doesn’t, but hey, it made our station’s on road performance look better on paper, so who cares, right?

Last edited:

AB831

Can you explain what you mean by this? Compared to what other companies?
I’m just saying that the bulk of ops managers’ responsibility is enforcing Memphis-manufactured regulations as opposed to actually doing things that affect the company’s bottom line.

AB831

Punch in punch out. ? Everybody has a life and want to clock out to enjoy that life
Actually, at my station we have loads of habitual clock milkers. Management remedies this problem by subsidizing the laziness of those who milk the clock by piling some of their stops onto the guys who fly through their route to get done and go home. The guys who move fast usually figure out a way to make it work anyway, and management doesn't have to lift a finger's worth of effort to make themselves look good on paper. It's win, win in their eyes.

Working4the1%

Actually, at my station we have loads of habitual clock milkers. Management remedies this problem by subsidizing the laziness of those who milk the clock by piling some of their stops onto the guys who fly through their route to get done and go home. The guys who move fast usually figure out a way to make it work anyway, and management doesn't have to lift a finger's worth of effort to make themselves look good on paper. It's win, win in their eyes.
Really. Most at your station are milkers. I actually see more punching out and still doing paperwork so they don’t go over 14 or over 8 and have to take a break. I just shake my head...

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Pssst! Don’t let dano see this. He thinks all couriers (except swings) are milkers, and managers are all top notch. It’s a courier problem, not a management problem.

59 Dano

Oh gee, I don’t know. Maybe with dollars and cents like a normal business.

They already do that via SPH. Dollars and cents are factored into a station's SPH.

How does it cut down on labor costs to collapse the route of a part time worker who’s making $19 an hour whenever there’s late freight and dump his route on a full time, topped out driver who will consequently get 2 hours of overtime at $40+ an hour? It doesn’t, but hey, it made our station’s on road performance look better on paper, so who cares, right?

How does it cut down on labor costs to use more hours than the job requires?

59 Dano

I’m just saying that the bulk of ops managers’ responsibility is enforcing Memphis-manufactured regulations as opposed to actually doing things that affect the company’s bottom line.

Heavily cut the hours of anyone at step 7 or higher. Heavily load up the hours of anyone at step 3 or lower. Make all of the step 7+ guys stay in town with multi-piece stops. Send all of the step 3- guys out on the rural routes and single piece routes. Use everyone else to fill in the gray spots.

Since you're worried about the balance sheet and don't care about efficient use of your resources, why not?

59 Dano

Pssst! Don’t let dano see this. He thinks all couriers (except swings) are milkers, and managers are all top notch. It’s a courier problem, not a management problem.

Said it plenty of times - managers who don't take care of those problems have no one to blame but themselves.

Problem is that guys like you say "it's the manager's fault for not addressing it" and then you bitch about it when they do.