Half hour breaks?

Star B

White Lightening
Not at my station. There is a large sect of drivers who are going to get 10-11 hours a day regardless of what time you start them or how may stops they have. 100 stops=10 hours. 65 stops=10 hours.
Whoah whoah whoah, let's hit the brakes here.
I'll agree with you under the following assumptions.
1) area is suburban or urban area.
2) If it's rural, it's not over 250sqmi.
3) STEM times are under a half an hour each way.

There's a few routes in my station that are over 400sqmi. Those routes can be exactly like you state. One day, if the stops condense mostly in towns, you can push 60-70 stops. If they spread out, 45 is barely making pull.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That all depends on what the manager is trying to accomplish.

If implementing upper managements orders is the impetus, you are correct.

If managing the employee to improve their productivity is the impetus, insight through experience has no equal. And it's hard to respect someone telling you to improve your methods if they can't demonstrate how. Frontline managers are mentors, not decision makers for corporate.

The fact that someone is a great employee (hourly, whatever) means jack squat when it comes to serving in a leader/manager role. That's true in any organization. It's the difference between being responsible for your own individual performance and being responsible for the collective performance of 30 people.

vantexan

The fact that someone is a great employee (hourly, whatever) means jack squat when it comes to serving in a leader/manager role. That's true in any organization. It's the difference between being responsible for your own individual performance and being responsible for the collective performance of 30 people.
Are you assuming that by virtue of being a mgr one is automatically superior in capability? Seen quite a few mgrs over the years who let the couriers pretty much run things because they couldn't. Have seen managers hired off the street as well as we're former CSA's who demonstrated almost daily they didn't have a clue what was going on. Pretty much just parroted what the senior wanted them to say. Just don't ask them to make a decision.

AB831

I've yet to see a manager at FedEx who actually fit the description as being a "leader". I think spectator would be a more fitting term.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I have yet to meet that manager. Even our Senior Manager passes responsibility (blame) downstream.

CatMan

People who are worried about such things usually don't work that hard.
Usually, but definitely not always. You can work your ass off and be very strong in all aspects....and still be attacked constantly by an assh*le manager, that just doesn't get it..Killing morale in the process.

vantexan

I just posted that capability in one position has no bearing on the capability in the other position. What do you think that means?
I think it means FedEx has quite a few mgrs incapable of taking responsibility for 30 individuals because they lack the understanding necessary to make competent decisions. Some learn their way into competency, some never do. Having a foundation in the realities of courier work certainly assists them in making judgement calls. Or is being a mgr just about paperwork?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I think it means FedEx has quite a few mgrs incapable of taking responsibility for 30 individuals because they lack the understanding necessary to make competent decisions. Some learn their way into competency, some never do. Having a foundation in the realities of courier work certainly assists them in making judgement calls. Or is being a mgr just about paperwork?

The station lost a shipper who shipped out 3000 pieces a week, 10% of which is a mix of DG and INTL. What adjustments, if any, should the PM ops manager make to maintain (or at the very least minimize the dip in) the station's P/FTE and SPH? Why? You were a courier for 20 years or whatever, and by your theory this should be easy to answer.

El Morado Diablo

The station lost a shipper who shipped out 3000 pieces a week, 10% of which is a mix of DG and INTL. What adjustments, if any, should the PM ops manager make to maintain (or at the very least minimize the dip in) the station's P/FTE and SPH? Why? You were a courier for 20 years or whatever, and by your theory this should be easy to answer.

Offer LWOP - because that's the only thing this company does to make up for all the over-hiring they've done.