Half hour breaks?

AB831

The station lost a shipper who shipped out 3000 pieces a week, 10% of which is a mix of DG and INTL. What adjustments, if any, should the PM ops manager make to maintain (or at the very least minimize the dip in) the station's P/FTE and SPH? Why? You were a courier for 20 years or whatever, and by your theory this should be easy to answer.
It doesn’t matter what he/she does when the company uses idiotic benchmarks like “stops per hour” and courier hours as its currency. It pretty much eliminates all accountability on their part. I don’t think you realize just how easy managers have it at this company compared to others.

Last edited:

floridays

The station lost a shipper who shipped out 3000 pieces a week, 10% of which is a mix of DG and INTL. What adjustments, if any, should the PM ops manager make to maintain (or at the very least minimize the dip in) the station's P/FTE and SPH? Why? You were a courier for 20 years or whatever, and by your theory this should be easy to answer.
What type of pieces beyond the DG are we speaking?
Make it as difficult as you'd like.
While you are thinking where the hell is the salesman?
3000 pkgs a week is an average of 60 a day if they ship five days, 50 for six.
The stop could take three minutes a day or thirty.
You get my drift.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You get my drift.
I believe dano would replace lost revenue from the account with reduced hours on the schedule. If so, he is a reactive, rather than a proactive manager.

vantexan

Did I say couriers are equipped to run a station? I said courier experience would help a mgr understand better what's going on and have a basis for decisions he makes about routes, etc. Your theory seems to be that courier work is entry level work that anyone can do and any mgr can easily supervise because there's really not much to it. At one station I had a mgr who felt he could remove a courier out of our loop and the rest of us could easily divide his route up. Not temporarily but permanently. He ultimately got fired for too many mistakes but not before he put us through a lot of misery. It's tough trying to be respectful when talking to someone who clearly doesn't understand what we're dealing with as he heaps on more and more work. And talks to us as if we're slackers. I went from getting an hour lunch in the middle of the day to getting a half hour in after 1630 to as late as 1730 and running like a maniac to get that. One senior courier was actually calling up the director. The mgr eventually got fired. And this wasn't an isolated case. Saw a lot of this over the years. I also saw some damn good mgrs too. In many different stations, districts, and regions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You get my drift.

3000/week would be 600/day (5 days) or 500/day (6 days). The loss of this volume would be significant.

CatMan

It doesn’t matter what he/she does when the company uses idiotic benchmarks like “stops per hour” and courier hours as its currency. It pretty much eliminates all accountability on their part. I don’t think you realize just how easy managers have it at this company compared to others.
Managers have a risk of weight gain from sitting in their office excessively. And hemorrhoids! Yikes!...Lately management has been on our asses about this gap report crap, when we have mandatory commercial and bad address same day reattempts which brings down SPH and creates these gaps..You constantly have to be defending yourself which is quite bothersome.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Managers have a risk of weight gain from sitting in their office excessively. And hemorrhoids! Yikes!...Lately management has been on our asses about this gap report crap, when we have mandatory commercial and bad address same day reattempts which brings down SPH and creates these gaps..You constantly have to be defending yourself which is quite bothersome.
If only they had previous experience as couriers, they wouldn’t have to ask such asinine questions.

Right, @59 Dano ....??

vantexan

It really does roll downhill...hemorrhoids get on their asses, they get on your asses. Conclusion...mgrs are hemorrhoids.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Good thing you're an English major.

59 Dano

Packages in general. Assume none of them are that big or that heavy.

Has nothing to do with it.

You get my drift.

3000 pkgs a week is 600 pieces/day for a 5 day shipping week.

59 Dano

I believe dano would replace lost revenue from the account with reduced hours on the schedule. If so, he is a reactive, rather than a proactive manager.

Reduced hours would be part of it, though ops/senior managers aren't worried about revenue. They're tasked with worrying about volume and labor. That's why they don't bother with trying to allocate OT based on courier pay. Proper allocation of labor hours to handle the work.

Anyone who thinks it's mean to address the above scenario with appropriate reductions in hours is an idiot.

59 Dano

Did I say couriers are equipped to run a station?

No, you said that management just paperwork.

I said courier experience would help a mgr understand better what's going on and have a basis for decisions he makes about routes, etc. Your theory seems to be that courier work is entry level work that anyone can do and any mgr can easily supervise because there's really not much to it.

There's not. It's not something that everyone can do but it's not that hard.

Courier input usually revolves around "I can get these stops off of this route and Joe can take those other stops since he's going to be in that area for pickups" because that's the extent of his world when he's on the clock. That's not a knock, just a realization that their focus is on the small part of ops that affects them most and most don't care to look beyond that.

59 Dano

If only they had previous experience as couriers, they wouldn’t have to ask such asinine questions.

Right, @59 Dano ....??

Significant increase in stop density and delayed P1 commit time of 1200 that enables more standalones... why are there SPH issues????

Managers have a risk of weight gain from sitting in their office excessively. And hemorrhoids! Yikes!...Lately management has been on our asses about this gap report crap, when we have mandatory commercial and bad address same day reattempts which brings down SPH and creates these gaps

You think the reattempts are the issue?

vantexan

No, you said that management just paperwork.

There's not. It's not something that everyone can do but it's not that hard.

Courier input usually revolves around "I can get these stops off of this route and Joe can take those other stops since he's going to be in that area for pickups" because that's the extent of his world when he's on the clock. That's not a knock, just a realization that their focus is on the small part of ops that affects them most and most don't care to look beyond that.
Did I say management just did paperwork?