Half hour breaks?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And that is?

In theory, you'd hustle to get off the clock sooner. In reality, the only person who really hustles is the guy whose day is going to be right around the 8 hour mark. He hustles because he can go home at 1500 having worked 8 hours as opposed to going home at 1540 having worked 8 hours and 10 minutes that includes an extra 30 minutes of unpaid break.

The down side is that the extra 30 means that someone won't be able to do something after work that he'd planned and he's got no incentive properly manage his time and work efficiently. Additionally he might think to take his time in order to make that extra 30 "worth it."

MAKAVELI

In theory, you'd hustle to get off the clock sooner. In reality, the only person who really hustles is the guy whose day is going to be right around the 8 hour mark. He hustles because he can go home at 1500 having worked 8 hours as opposed to going home at 1540 having worked 8 hours and 10 minutes that includes an extra 30 minutes of unpaid break.

The down side is that the extra 30 means that someone won't be able to do something after work that he'd planned and he's got no incentive properly manage his time and work efficiently. Additionally he might think to take his time in order to make that extra 30 "worth it."
Damn, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Lol

SmithBarney

How in the world does it cut OT? If it takes you 8 hours to do 100 stops, it takes 8 hours.....whether you take 30 or 60 minutes.

Infinite wisdom says if you make a driver stay out longer, they will work harder to get home earlier to their families.
Also this wisdom says, drivers will work slower if they only take a 30 minute break.

AB831

Infinite wisdom says if you make a driver stay out longer, they will work harder to get home earlier to their families.
Also this wisdom says, drivers will work slower if they only take a 30 minute break.
Not at my station. There is a large sect of drivers who are going to get 10-11 hours a day regardless of what time you start them or how may stops they have. 100 stops=10 hours. 65 stops=10 hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not at my station. There is a large sect of drivers who are going to get 10-11 hours a day regardless of what time you start them or how may stops they have. 100 stops=10 hours. 65 stops=10 hours.

We had the same problem------the same guys would come in at the same time whether they had an 8 hour day or a 10 hour one.

dezguy

Same here and management allows it. I have one coworker who makes it their mission to be the last one out of the building, every day.

This employee will literally walk in circles, killing time. At one point, my work group decided we weren't leaving the building until this employee left. We waited almost 20 minutes and then a manager came up to our 4 parks trucks and asked what was going on. We explained that once employee "X" was in their truck and ready to leave, we'd be ready to leave.

Turned into a big argument about how we can't do that and us arguing why not? Employee "X" does it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

In the end, we lost out because the is no way employee "X" will allow that anyone but them leave the building last and even though there is to be no overtime, they get ot every day of the week because management has decided it's best to let some sleeping dogs lie.

AB831

We had the same problem------the same guys would come in at the same time whether they had an 8 hour day or a 10 hour one.
Yup. And FedEx managers tweak it so the guys they know move fast get more work piled on them, while the guys who drag ass all day get a more reasonable workload.

vantexan

In manager speak you're saying that routes are equal so those who get in later are either slackers or they're taking advantage. Typical from management types who couldn't run a route if their life depended on it. Even if it didn't.

59 Dano

In manager speak you're saying that routes are equal so those who get in later are either slackers or they're taking advantage. Typical from management types who couldn't run a route if their life depended on it. Even if it didn't.

You're stupid if you think that's what I'm saying. I'm saying (without editorializing) what happens when it's applied. And what does a manager's ability to run a route have to do with it? I guess the only people who are qualified to criticize anything are those who have demonstrated the ability to do it better.

Looks like 99.9% of your criticisms of FedEx are without merit!

vantexan

You're stupid if you think that's what I'm saying. I'm saying (without editorializing) what happens when it's applied. And what does a manager's ability to run a route have to do with it? I guess the only people who are qualified to criticize anything are those who have demonstrated the ability to do it better.

Looks like 99.9% of your criticisms of FedEx are without merit!
Because knowing how to run a route gives you insight that makes you a better manager. The best managers I've had were all very good at running routes. Most mgrs I've worked for hated courier work and would on occasion say things that demonstrated they didn't know what we do on a regular basis. I've had mgrs who couldn't understand how with a fourth of the stops of other couriers why I couldn't get done a lot sooner. Never mind that I drove five times as far if not further and spent much of my day on slow washboard roads. Same mgrs wouldn't check ride me. And many mgrs always seem to approach everything as if it's a courier problem. They assume that if a courier gets in later he's a slacker. I've had the heaviest routes in quite a few stations. Had mgrs act shocked at what I was doing when they gave me a check ride but wouldn't listen to me or my 4/10 cover before the check ride. They truly seem to approach routes as all being more or less equal, drawn up as equal by engineering, and it's a courier problem, not the company's. One of the few satisfactions I got working like a dog was the anger of a hotshot swing driver over not achieving my numbers when I was on vacation. And yeah, I worked hard so expected better than what I was getting in raises. One year because of a recession getting a poor raise is one thing. 10+ years of running like a dog for crap raises is quite another.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Same here and management allows it. I have one coworker who makes it their mission to be the last one out of the building, every day.

This employee will literally walk in circles, killing time. At one point, my work group decided we weren't leaving the building until this employee left. We waited almost 20 minutes and then a manager came up to our 4 parks trucks and asked what was going on. We explained that once employee "X" was in their truck and ready to leave, we'd be ready to leave.

Turned into a big argument about how we can't do that and us arguing why not? Employee "X" does it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

In the end, we lost out because the is no way employee "X" will allow that anyone but them leave the building last and even though there is to be no overtime, they get ot every day of the week because management has decided it's best to let some sleeping dogs lie.
Some managers will go out if their way not have to deal with certain employees and it's blatantly obvious.

59 Dano

Because knowing how to run a route gives you insight that makes you a better manager. The best managers I've had were all very good at running routes.

One has little to do with the other.

Most mgrs I've worked for hated courier work and would on occasion say things that demonstrated they didn't know what we do on a regular basis. I've had mgrs who couldn't understand how with a fourth of the stops of other couriers why I couldn't get done a lot sooner. Never mind that I drove five times as far if not further and spent much of my day on slow washboard roads. Same mgrs wouldn't check ride me. And many mgrs always seem to approach everything as if it's a courier problem. They assume that if a courier gets in later he's a slacker. I've had the heaviest routes in quite a few stations. Had mgrs act shocked at what I was doing when they gave me a check ride but wouldn't listen to me or my 4/10 cover before the check ride. They truly seem to approach routes as all being more or less equal, drawn up as equal by engineering, and it's a courier problem, not the company's. One of the few satisfactions I got working like a dog was the anger of a hotshot swing driver over not achieving my numbers when I was on vacation. And yeah, I worked hard so expected better than what I was getting in raises. One year because of a recession getting a poor raise is one thing. 10+ years of running like a dog for crap raises is quite another.

You worked hard, had bad managers, didn't get the compensation you felt you deserved no matter how many times you quit. Thanks for the reminder.

vantexan

One has little to do with the other.

You worked hard, had bad managers, didn't get the compensation you felt you deserved no matter how many times you quit. Thanks for the reminder.
You're trying to deflect from what the company did. Wasn't just me. Tens of thousands got the same. The turnover was so bad they finally capitulated and came up with a better pay plan to retain newhires. Couriers with ten years in were still looking at 8 more years to reach top out. And that's assuming the company kept it's word. The company was backtracking even before the virus. So deflect away! We know better.

Last edited:

AB831

You're trying to deflect from what the company did. Wasn't just me. Tens of thousands got the same. The turnover was so bad they finally capitulated and came up with a better pay plan to retain newhires. Couriers with ten years in were still looking at 8 more years to reach top out. And that's assuming the company kept it's word. The company was backtracking even before the virus. So deflect away! We know better.
I truly believe I'm topped out at $21.11 an hour.

59 Dano

I do have to disagree with you on this one. One of the best managers I ever had was a driver for 15 years.

I'm not saying they can't be, I'm saying that success (or lack thereof) as a driver has little bearing on success (or lack thereof) as a manager.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I'm not saying they can't be, I'm saying that success (or lack thereof) as a driver has little bearing on success (or lack thereof) as a manager.
That all depends on what the manager is trying to accomplish.

If implementing upper managements orders is the impetus, you are correct.

If managing the employee to improve their productivity is the impetus, insight through experience has no equal. And it's hard to respect someone telling you to improve your methods if they can't demonstrate how. Frontline managers are mentors, not decision makers for corporate.