Box Ox

Plus it's eta(ESTIMATED TIME of arrival) not actual

spiseo.jpg

JL 0513

Orion is for millage ,not time. Whoever is asking your ETA based on Orion is an idiot

While I get what you're saying, Orion is actually a program more about time than simply mileage. A traveling salesman algorithm would have been a very simple and cheap program to implement. What made Orion costs hundreds of millions to develop was the time factor as so much of a UPS drivers day is based on time. Varied commit times, P/U times, and many other factors based on existing time studies lead to the mileage solution. The main complexity of Orion is timing, not simply figuring the most efficient delivery order.

Rack em

Made the Podium
My eta is the number of stops per hour that I am doing at the time of eta request divided by the number of stops left.
Don't forget that it gets darker out earlier. Production goes down at night so you should be doing less stops per hour than if you were working in daylight ;)

iruhnman630

I have this semi-paranoid fear that the next big metric they will introduce will be Orion delivery time compliance...how close our stop-complete times are compared to the planned Orion times. So we can tell the customer an exact delivery time.

Orion must be relatively new at your center.

RuthlessSupSlayer

A couple of drivers at my Center were being harassed today about our ETA time, return to building time.
Without going into too much details here, I'm just curious what course of action should be taken. They preach about safety and all of this stuff day-to-day, but yet at times often completely contradict themselves.
Saying that we need to be back at the time orion says to be back..
I'm not going to rush to get back at whatever time the stupid computer says, and risk getting in an accident at the same time.
Oh, by the way, that stupid computer doesn't factor in poor work loads, adjusting to changing conditions (as they always talk about) construction zones, roads being blocked off.
The list is endless, you would think these idiots know that.
I would post a picture of a message that I received on my board this afternoon, but I know you kind of have to be careful what you share on here.
I've spoken with a couple of guys from my Safety Committee, and they're well aware of what is going on and it will be interesting to see what is said tomorrow morning.

I have lerned very quickly that i each stop i follow the methods...after a few months i am still getting all 340 down even though i was given a list of these methods. But i just follow the methods and work safely. After that it is what it is nothing else.

In regards to the Return time. Start putting something like 20:23 or 19:34 just be precise and that should get them the point you are trying to make. Always over estimate. You could even put a time after the air trailer leaves. That always bothers them as well i have noticed. Then they send someone out and gives me an extra 10 minute break.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I have lerned very quickly that i each stop i follow the methods...after a few months i am still getting all 340 down even though i was given a list of these methods. But i just follow the methods and work safely. After that it is what it is nothing else.

In regards to the Return time. Start putting something like 20:23 or 19:34 just be precise and that should get them the point you are trying to make. Always over estimate. You could even put a time after the air trailer leaves. That always bothers them as well i have noticed. Then they send someone out and gives me an extra 10 minute break.

Great job trying to sound like you know your S* even though you have only been here since like yesterday. The "340 methods" is cool to look up on Google but it is more than that. I love how you spout off at the mouth about a precise time after IDK, 30 other people have also said that. You truly are a ruthless slayer my friend!

that's basically what I did today, & then they asked me to update my ETA.
Chris, don't worry too much about things like that especially with peak closing in on us. I know you have been here a bit so I'm sure you have heard all the answers and comments about production standards.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
A couple of drivers at my Center were being harassed today about our ETA time, return to building time.
Without going into too much details here, I'm just curious what course of action should be taken. They preach about safety and all of this stuff day-to-day, but yet at times often completely contradict themselves.
Saying that we need to be back at the time orion says to be back..
I'm not going to rush to get back at whatever time the stupid computer says, and risk getting in an accident at the same time.
Oh, by the way, that stupid computer doesn't factor in poor work loads, adjusting to changing conditions (as they always talk about) construction zones, roads being blocked off.
The list is endless, you would think these idiots know that.
I would post a picture of a message that I received on my board this afternoon, but I know you kind of have to be careful what you share on here.
I've spoken with a couple of guys from my Safety Committee, and they're well aware of what is going on and it will be interesting to see what is said tomorrow morning.
just annoy them so bad with messages of needing help they’ll leave you alone. Maybe...

ChrisTheBrown

I have been here a bit, I'm coming up on my 8th peak at my Center, 4th as a cover driver.. Never had any accidents or injuries, service failures.. I always stay off their radar so I was just a bit surprised that I was being targeted, all of a sudden. I just got to learn to not let it get to me, not let their little mind games bother me...Or else it'll be one long-ass next quarter-century for me. If I can even go that much longer, that is.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
While I get what you're saying, Orion is actually a program more about time than simply mileage. A traveling salesman algorithm would have been a very simple and cheap program to implement. What made Orion costs hundreds of millions to develop was the time factor as so much of a UPS drivers day is based on time. Varied commit times, P/U times, and many other factors based on existing time studies lead to the mileage solution. The main complexity of Orion is timing, not simply figuring the most efficient delivery order.
WTF! This sounds like Obama. Lots of fancy words. But, no substance.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have this semi-paranoid fear that the next big metric they will introduce will be Orion delivery time compliance...how close our stop-complete times are compared to the planned Orion times. So we can tell the customer an exact delivery time.

Orion must be relatively new at your center.

A few customers, who have signed up for mychoice, have told me they can get an estimated delivery time window via email or maybe text alerts. I assume that those estimated windows must be generated from Orion delivery times.

I'm a cover driver still, I don't have the same route every day like yourself, so I can't type in the same ETA time every day.
Just tell them you left your calculator at home and are really bad at doing math in your head. I think I have only ever been asked my eta once.