AutoZone

BrownPower
Yes, I agree my hub is an anamoly that guys with around 6 months seniority are out driving right now.. yes, every hub is different, that has been my whole point from the beginning with everyone saying it's impossible.. it's not! Myself and about 8 other guys with less then a year in and driving are proof of that. I'm at a year and a half right now.. from my understanding, this route has no takers. From the guy that ran it for 20 years, told me it's pretty confusing in the beginning, but once you've run it for a month and find all the nooks and crannies, it gets very easy.. 180/300 on average.. almost all rural resi, with maybe 2 businesses on average.. no sched pickups. Driver did tell me he got most hidden properties to put numbers out at the main roads. He said it's a great route once you understand it. And my "junk route" is still going Orion.. I still run it every day... 175/268 yesterday.. seems pretty strong for junk this far along after peak..

AutoZone

BrownPower
It
What I find BS about the whole story is I've been to the hub he claims to work out of and seen for myself bid list's that were posted and they are pages long,every list that goes up is pages long regardless of the job, so how this guy claims to get to the top with how much time he has is amazing.
It doesn't matter what you think.. lol it's happening.. so what's your point?

Yes, I agree my hub is an anamoly that guys with around 6 months seniority are out driving right now.. yes, every hub is different, that has been my whole point from the beginning with everyone saying it's impossible.. it's not! Myself and about 8 other guys with less then a year in and driving are proof of that. I'm at a year and a half right now.. from my understanding, this route has no takers. From the guy that ran it for 20 years, told me it's pretty confusing in the beginning, but once you've run it for a month and find all the nooks and crannies, it gets very easy.. 180/300 on average.. almost all rural resi, with maybe 2 businesses on average.. no sched pickups. Driver did tell me he got most hidden properties to put numbers out at the main roads. He said it's a great route once you understand it. And my "junk route" is still going Orion.. I still run it every day... 175/268 yesterday.. seems pretty strong for junk this far along after peak..
The last two years my building has been hiring FT package car drivers, as soon as one qualifies, another takes his place. One seasonal girl is qualifying right now. These jobs are FT driving jobs as we to not use temps. We have also had a couple new drivers (under a year) win their own route when no one else wanted them. This is a great time to be a new driver with all the retirements coming in the next few years. Package car drivers retiring, Feeder drivers retiring, Porters and car washers retiring. More opportunities then I have seen in almost 40 years.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
26xBMRZcxnwxL3EWs.gif

4LsN0YwgIsvaU.gif

THREAD

3oAt1Qx1MJDHJPJjKE.gif

Is UPS allowed to pay more than they have to with no union issues?
With oil companies taking all of our pt'ers and ft drivers in our center, they paid weekly bonuses just as long as u didn't call in sick. You could be laid off and still get ur bonus. First year progression u would get normal starting wage and $150 a week. 2nd year $300 and 3rd year $350 a week. This went on for 5 years. Finally went away after oil sector crashed. It was all at the discretion of ups. There were some fights here and there about it but for the most part the union's hands were tied. Granted the bonuses were taxed at 50% obviously still great for people who needed this job and never wanted an oil job. Pts got a weekly bonus as well. I believe 125 a week. Still couldn't keep pt'ers very long

AutoZone

BrownPower
The last two years my building has been hiring FT package car drivers, as soon as one qualifies, another takes his place. One seasonal girl is qualifying right now. These jobs are FT driving jobs as we to not use temps. We have also had a couple new drivers (under a year) win their own route when no one else wanted them. This is a great time to be a new driver with all the retirements coming in the next few years. Package car drivers retiring, Feeder drivers retiring, Porters and car washers retiring. More opportunities then I have seen in almost 40 years.
Not to mention all the 22.3s in the southern regions that are jumping back into the drivers seats as these feeder positions open.. which bring more fters back into the hub opening more and more routes.. I just signed another ft bid acknowledgement yesterday, I asked him about the other 4 I've signed within the last 3 months.. he said there's lots of ft doors opening up that's why they're refreshing their database.. he said we're about to start loading up ft drivers... I said, with my low seniority, I don't think I'll be in line for that.. he said it's a huge possibility, you're in at a great time! So we'll see... I'd love to get a call for feeder school! Bid sheets up.. he said there's about 12 openings there..

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.. 180/300 on average.. almost all rural resi, with maybe 2 businesses on average.. no sched pickups.yesterday.. seems pretty strong for junk this far along after peak..

Fifteen-twenty miles?

In all my years, I never saw a 'rural' route with 180 stops outside of peak.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Fifteen-twenty miles?

In all my years, I never saw a 'rural' route with 180 stops outside of peak.
Florida rural isn't like Iowa rural.. and correct, the area isn't but maybe 15-20 miles from the hub.. it has some areas that blow by very quick.. and others that are very spread out.. no bulk, barely any apartments and businesses.. current driver said it's a guaranteed 11+ hour day every day.. and they don't really pay attention to the +/- on that route either.. kinda is what it is..

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Florida rural isn't like Iowa rural.. and correct, the area isn't but maybe 15-20 miles from the hub.. it has some areas that blow by very quick.. and others that are very spread out.. no bulk, barely any apartments and businesses.. current driver said it's a guaranteed 11+ hour day every day.. and they don't really pay attention to the +/- on that route either.. kinda is what it is..

So, a bunch of homes in a bunch of gated communities.

Not rural, sonny. Not rural at all.

Re-Raise

So, a bunch of homes in a bunch of gated communities.

Not rural, sonny. Not rural at all.
I can't believe that is the part of his story that you felt like contradicting, Cosmo.

It was probably the most believable part of it.

Guaranteed 11 hrs...the other driver has either done the route the last 20 or 25 years depending on the post... they don't care about the over/under on this particular route...

Where do these clowns come from?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I can't believe that is the part of his story that you felt like contradicting, Cosmo.

It was probably the most believable part of it.

Guaranteed 11 hrs...the other driver has either done the route the last 20 or 25 years depending on the post... they don't care about the over/under on this particular route...

Where do these clowns come from?

28+ years out of my 34+ years were done on real rural routes.

When I hear about 15-20 miles and 180 stops being a rural route, I have to respond.

Try 80-90 stops and 200+ miles with almost half of them on dirt. Then, we're talking.

(Oh, yeah. He's in Florida. Do those 200+ miles in the snow and ice.)

Re-Raise

i hear you Cosmo. I run about 175 to 200 miles every day with about 110 stops. I like the little detail about 2 businesses.

Johney

I can assure you there is nothing "Rural" 15-20 miles from the Orlando hub. Maybe by rural he means 1 stop light every 1/4 mile instead of 10.

iowa boy

Come to the Northern Plains, (i.e. the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado,) we will show you what "rural routes" are.

Knothead

Yep.
Jake is in! Cover to full-time to feeders in less than two years woo-hoo!
I'm sure he wishes that was the case. There are a ton of senior guys who have missed the boat the last couple times that have taken the time to actually look and see what's available.