llamainmypocket

Easy. Pay preload enough so that retention is better than 30%. Extend those 5 hour days to 8 so that load quality is good. Upgrade old outdated facilities which can't process the current volume properly. Set up the necessary deterrents to make sure the agreed on contract is actually honored.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Let me also add, getting to a hub and what usually takes 15-20 minutes breaking down and spotting your set can now take up to an hour multiplied by so many more drivers doing the same thing. Shifters trying to pull loads off the doors, they can't get anywhere,so packages pile up in outbound doors,belts backing up down the belt-line cause the other shifter trying to get to the door with an MT is also stuck in the grid-lock. I taken up to 45 minutes to get out of a hub when outside of peak it's 5 minutes tops.Package car drivers trying to get into the building causing more congestion and should that really be a problem at say 11:30-12:00 at night?
It comes down to undersized buildings and understaffed operations...and getting the volume back at a decent time....does the industrial route really need the extra 15 house stops at the end of their day just to try to “fluff” up their spc....getting the pickups in an hour earlier is more important...the unreasonable and unrealistic numbers that are thrown at us are finally catching up with the company....you can only lie so much before everything implodes onto itself..

YUOVER95

Quite frankly, I don’t even care anymore. I’ll look at my dispatch and say to myself “Yep that’s a 14 hour day and I’m brining stuff back with me.” The day goes by so much better once you accept that fact before you leave the building. If management thinks this is the best way to run Peak, then who am I to question? I’m just a simple minded driver.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Dispatch needs to have an idea behind their "strategy." What do they want to accomplish? Are their current actions going to work toward accomplishing those goals?

Instead, it seems as if dispatch is merely concerned with solving the problems of the day while ignoring underlying patterns of logistical inefficiency. That's a shame. By taking a step back from the day to day, a curious dispatch sup might quickly identify a number of areas where substantial improvement could be made to the overall plan.

Essentially all drivers experience situations each day that defy all things logistical. Without the information to know why such changes might have been made and furthermore without the autonomy to make any changes of their own, the driver becomes a demoralized individual who recognizes the ignorance of management yet has no ability to communicate to them what might be an intelligible and creative idea.

This has a negative impact on driver morale and even lends to a feeling of learned helplessness among them. The drivers don't understand errors in the dispatch so much as they are victimized by such errors. That's a strong word, but it illustrates how an arbitrary decision by a dispatch sup can drastically effect the day of a driver both logistically and even emotionally if the solution say, is responsible for a driver not making it home in time to see his children.

Drivers need to do a better job of communicating clearly to management what they identify as legitimate problems in their delivery solutions. Managers need to do a better job of facilitating these types of constructive criticisms and then listening and acting upon them. Finally, both drivers and managers need to find a way to work as colleagues rather than combatants in solving these issues.
This is great, couldn't agree more! Everybody read this.