worldwide

So you have to memorize 50 things about slips and falls and strain and sprains but you don't have to know anything about the size and weight limits of the very things that are your bread and butter? That sounds about right for UPS.

Just 3 things to memorize:
  1. Packages can be up to 150 lbs.
  2. Packages can be up to 165 inches in length and girth combined.
  3. Packages can be up to 108 inches in length.
Wait till the shippers start getting billing adjustments for large and over max size packages. Rates went WAY UP starting this week:
  • Packages longer than 96" in length or greater than 130" in length and girth combined - an extra $80 per package
  • Over maximum limits (e.g. over 150 lbs. or over 165" in length and girth combined) - an extra $500 per package
UPS and FedEx really do not want these very large packages in their system and both carriers have adjusted their rates to "encourage" shippers to use their LTL services. We'll see how that goes...

What are the weight and size limits for shipping using UPS?: UPS

wayfair

swollen member
On call pickup. Denied two days in a row due to size. Customer complained to corporate. Corporate complained, so supervisor made someone pick it up (not my truck).

One of those roll up mattresses, but unrolled and expanded. Then reboxed. Smashed just enough to squeeze through door. But box itself was about 4 inches taller than the door.

when stuff like that shows up in the building, it stays in the building until shipper comes to pick it up

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
One of those roll up mattresses, but unrolled and expanded. Then reboxed. Smashed just enough to squeeze through door. But box itself was about 4 inches taller than the door.
You can’t wear and return a pair of shoes from a store but you can unpack , expand , and rub your naked ass on a mattress and the UPS man has to pick it up...

Dhydratd

Many times I've removed an over-sized package from my truck only to be told that "it made it this far, you need to deliver it". C'mon, we were forced to work 6 days/70 hours/week this peak season, do you really think UPS gives a :censored2: about our safety?

Ms.PacMan

How do we get pieces of farm equipment or propellers and fireplaces that weigh 150-200lbs but have 49 or 69 lb stickers? Why does management and safety ignore it and refuse to weigh? These things seem to pop up occasionally but peak has been ridiculous. I can easily do 200lbs myself but what's up with these stickers?

Big accounts? Stockholders? Mistakes?

I assumed they divert UPS freight to small parcel in slow times.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How do we get pieces of farm equipment or propellers and fireplaces that weigh 150-200lbs but have 49 or 69 lb stickers? Why does management and safety ignore it and refuse to weigh? These things seem to pop up occasionally but peak has been ridiculous. I can easily do 200lbs myself but what's up with these stickers?

Big accounts? Stockholders? Mistakes?
More like, "Nobody Cares Department"
giphy.gif

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
The Big Question is, Why would any Driver pick up something that heavy knowing the weight limits? I myself would of refused something that heavy or over dimension limits that are in place. I have seen many irregs way over the limits and wonder what knucklehead took it when I used to clerk inside. A claim just waiting to happen or someone getting hurt trying to move it. Simple things you learn when you get hired. Back in 81 it was 50 pounds, then 70, then 150. Simple basic things to remember
Simple lazy supervisors and people on the preload. You have heard of hot potato, same thing only packages. And for wrong weight on packages get corrected, there is a whole department dedicated to recharging these shippers for there mistake. Sadly the shipper doesn’t care and UPS loves money so much the workers get to deal with problem in the end.

Dr.Brownz

If it is a pickup, it should fall on the driver to refuse and have them contact the freight division.
Would that not be correct?

Management has no clue how to train people anymore. Have had several dumb young 20 year old supervisors try to tell drivers to pick up big and overweight stuff.

upschuck

Management has no clue how to train people anymore. Have had several dumb young 20 year old supervisors try to tell drivers to pick up big and overweight stuff.
Oversize is one thing, but says in contract we don't have to touch anything over 150. Art 44 sec 3

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Oversize is one thing, but says in contract we don't have to touch anything over 150. Art 44 sec 3
We don't have to touch anything over 70lbs without assistance. I will not as I am restricted to 70lbs via RTW release per my MD and Liberty Mutual.