How much does your Ground Contractor pay you?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Go get a copy of one of those contracts and read it for yourself. Rest assured regardless of what that unilaterally drafted and implemented, one dimensional, one sided one year cocument says, if they believe that you're not keeping up or will not be able to keep up they simply do not offer you a new contract.It's as simple as that. That's how much control a contractor has in reality. Essentially nothing.

You mean they are not obligated to do anything else for the contractor once the terms of the contract have been satisfied? YOU DON'T SAY!

bacha29

You mean they are not obligated to do anything else for the contractor once the terms of the contract have been satisfied? YOU DON'T SAY!
The issue Dano is to what extent will XG abide by therms of their own contract? Rest assured operational needs will always trump anything language that flimsy document might say. Think for a moment. You've got a one year contract but most trucks are financed for 5 years and are one of the fastest depreciating pieces of equipment known to the US economy . Often leaving the owner owing more on the truck that what it's worth If you're line haul you can pull the FX vinyl off your tractors one day and be leased onto somebody else the next . Very seldom is that the case with step vans panel vans and cutaways due to their limited alternative uses. How many sandwich and pizza trucks do you think you need?

Serf

Getting home at 7 pm is not normal for Americans. Thinking that getting home that late is 'way early' shows something about your mentality- not quite sure what. With minimum wage being $15 an hour in many places, $1000 a week take home for a job where you risk your life everyday and you are REQUIRED to work overtime is NOT that good, especially with no real benefits. Paid vacations and 5 paid holidays per year like most employees get are worth at least a few thousand dollars per year alone, not to mention sick pay or medical insurance at all.
No worries, Express has that figured out. Don't like it on the G side? You have the option at Express of working 7-11am and going home. Or Working 7-11 ish, taking a 4 hour mid day break. Then working from 3-8:30pm. All sarcasm aside, you're not wrong. It is a raw deal.

59 Dano

You've got a one year contract but most trucks are financed for 5 years and are one of the fastest depreciating pieces of equipment known to the US economy . Often leaving the owner owing more on the truck that what it's worth

Yes, we call that "risk."

bacha29

Yes, we call that "risk."
The only risk you've ever incurred was the time when you had to go crawling back to Fat Freddy ask for your job back fully cognizant of the possibility that he might not want you back.......but as we all that know your mother interceded in your behalf. Perhaps in a manner similar to the manner in which Forrest Gump's mother interceded in his behalf.

Now IWBF can say what he wants because he's also operating in one of the most ideal places in the country being that it's one of most population dense high per capita consumption parts of the country where his tires never come in contact with an unpaved surface and in an area for which the business model was designed.....But, it doesn't exist everywhere and the farther removed from those ideal demographics the territory is for that person who is going to try to operate in the higher the risks become.

Needless to say that FXG is still a NATIONWIDE carrier and while there are some lucrative parts of the country to apply the FXG business model there are just as many and probably even more that are at the complete opposite end of the spectrum and the unique challenges they represent. And Fat Freddy is going to be reminded of it when Smart Post goes out to rural America.

59 Dano

The only risk you've ever incurred was the time when you had to go crawling back to Fat Freddy ask for your job back fully cognizant of the possibility that he might not want you back.......but as we all that know your mother interceded in your behalf. Perhaps in a manner similar to the manner in which Forrest Gump's mother interceded in his behalf.

You're stupid and beyond.

Now IWBF can say what he wants because he's also operating in one of the most ideal places in the country being that it's one of most population dense high per capita consumption parts of the country where his tires never come in contact with an unpaved surface and in an area for which the business model was designed.....But, it doesn't exist everywhere and the farther removed from those ideal demographics the territory is for that person who is going to try to operate in the higher the risks become.

Needless to say that FXG is still a NATIONWIDE carrier and while there are some lucrative parts of the country to apply the FXG business model there are just as many and probably even more that are at the complete opposite end of the spectrum and the unique challenges they represent. And Fat Freddy is going to be reminded of it when Smart Post goes out to rural America.

"In some areas the degree of risk is greater than in other areas." Thanks, Mr. Obvious. Never knew that until just now.

FYI: these insights that you seem to think are profound are things that everyone else already knows.

bacha29

You're stupid and beyond.

"In some areas the degree of risk is greater than in other areas." Thanks, Mr. Obvious. Never knew that until just now.

FYI: these insights that you seem to think are profound are things that everyone else already knows.
1. But clearly not as stupid as having to go crawling back to Fat Freddy, ask for your job back ........and then freely admit it.

2. If contracting for Ground is as easy as some of you Express letter donkeys think it is why haven't you bought into a contract? Plenty of them out there and
some at prices more in line with that they are worth. Saw a 9 route contract come on the boards the other day for just $85K

bacha29

That is hilarious
If you are an Express employee especially if you are a document donkey you should not be amused but instead worried. The wage numbers you find so amusing are instead a measurement as to the extent of the pay deterioration ongoing within the company as a whole especially when you consider the fact that there is no wage/benefit firewall between Express and Ground. It's an economic cancer that is slowly metastasizing throughout the entire company.

McFeely

Huge Member
If contracting for Ground is as easy as some of you Express letter donkeys think it is why haven't you bought into a contract?

Pretty sure that, even though I'm just an "Express letter donkey", I'm smart enough to NOT buy into a Ground contract with ridiculous terms.

I'm also not a Ground driver working 6- or 7-day workweeks.

Also not schlepping stolen motor freight.

In the jing weeds.

59 Dano

1. But clearly not as stupid as having to go crawling back to Fat Freddy, ask for your job back ........and then freely admit it.

If you say so.

2. If contracting for Ground is as easy as some of you Express letter donkeys think it is why haven't you bought into a contract? Plenty of them out there and
some at prices more in line with that they are worth. Saw a 9 route contract come on the boards the other day for just $85K

I never said it was or wasn't easy. Don't know what you're smoking today. 0-2.

59 Dano

Pretty sure that, even though I'm just an "Express letter donkey", I'm smart enough to NOT buy into a Ground contract with ridiculous terms.

In the jing weeds.

And your brain hasn't devolved into bacha stew.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's pretty much solid rock bottom.

Because if Dano was a contractor who in their right mind would work for him? Nobody's as perfect as he is. He'll even tell them so.

bacha29

In the jing weeds.
True, but these next 6 months will be crucial for the future of that company and Ground's performance over that period will be absolutely vital. And while it might be able to buy Fat Freddy some more time 6 months might just be about it.

floridays

A simple question, a show of hands

Exactly who, on this board, would sign an offer that was a product from a team of attorneys without having his own attorney pick it apart and counter their offer?

This is a legitimate question.

If I am to believe what I have read for years, every ground contractor has taken this path. Every ground contractor, as I've been led to believe, was denied counsel as a requisite for accepting the offer.

In layman terms, no legal counsel the offer is tendered,
if legal counsel, the offer is rescinded.

Exactly who on this board would contract under these terms?

bbsam

Staff member
Oh no. You can have the contract gone over by an attorney. And the attorney will tell you that the company basically gets to do what it wants when it wants.

AmBut that in itself won’t make the company change the contract. They’ll simply contract with someone else.

Eventually, if anything is to change, the standard agreement will need to be found to be unconscionable. Because it really is. Chances are that won’t happen because contract work like this depends on one side being able to write the agreement in this way.

floridays

Oh no. You can have the contract gone over by an attorney. And the attorney will tell you that the company basically gets to do what it wants when it wants.

AmBut that in itself won’t make the company change the contract. They’ll simply contract with someone else.

Eventually, if anything is to change, the standard agreement will need to be found to be unconscionable. Because it really is. Chances are that won’t happen because contract work like this depends on one side being able to write the agreement in this way.
Another simple question, accepting what you say as true.

Generally, will a contractor ask the attorney his advice on accepting the offer? Because you can only speak for yourself, did you?

In no way am I condemning you Sam, you actually aren't the target making these claims, you only add clarity in this instance.

Does FedEx Ground allow a lawyer at the table in "negotiations?"

bbsam

Staff member
Another simple question, accepting what you say as true.

Generally, will a contractor ask the attorney his advice on accepting the offer? Because you can only speak for yourself, did you?

In no way am I condemning you Sam, you actually aren't the target making these claims, you only add clarity in this instance.

Does FedEx Ground allow a lawyer at the table in "negotiations?"
I don’t feel condemned at all. By the time one reached the negotiating table, you’re either in or out. There’s no negotiating the agreement, just moving money around in “buckets”. I stayed in. I know what the Agreement is.

dmac1

Even if found unconscionable in one case doesn't mean much. You might be able to use that case to bolster your own case, but you would need to spend all the money just to get the case into court. That means paying for all your attorney's time, just to get the contract, or one term of it declared unconscionable. And that spending to get the decision in your favor gets you what?????? More time in court, which is tens of thousands of dollars, and with fedex appealing, delaying, switching venues from local to national to state courts, fighting the contract terms as an individual is not a real possibility if you intend to win anything. And with contractors being forced to have ever larger investment in their 'company' it isn't likely than many contractors will want to risk a class action in numbers large enough to attract a law firm willing to take the time and spend the money to pursue such a class action.