If we hit 50% voter turnout and 2/3 majority

Time for change

will negotiators and the president finally admit they failed, or will they blame the huge increase in turnout and super majority on the members they are supposed to represent?

Once again, if the turnout for the strike authorization is any litmus, which I think it is, then I believe Hoffa will implement it. Even if it’s 2/3 of a small number. Scary.

Time for change

Once again, if the turnout for the strike authorization is any litmus, which I think it is, then I believe Hoffa will implement it. Even if it’s 2/3 of a small number. Scary.
Keep in mind that the energy wasn’t there until well after the strike authorization vote and also keep in mind people tend to vote for the biggest ones more often like Presidential elections vs strictly state or local.

Tony Q

will negotiators and the president finally admit they failed, or will they blame the huge increase in turnout and super majority on the members they are supposed to represent?
With the sheer volume of literature and information the IBT and Teamsters United there should be know reason for a low turnout. I don’t care what side of the fence you are on. There is no excuse to not have a high voter turnout in this contract.

Tony Q

You have more chance of a strike that Hoffa ever implementing this contract. After this is all said and done people will blame him for not implementing this contract.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Anything is possible, but 50% vote turnout will be tough...
Sad thing about it is even if they proposed a 5.00 per hour pay cut across the board and 50% reduction in your health and welfare there STILL would be members who wouldn’t vote on the contract....insane!!

You have more chance of a strike that Hoffa ever implementing this contract. After this is all said and done people will blame him for not implementing this contract.
I don’t deal in blame, for what it’s worth. I believe he implemented the last one. Which makes me think if he considers us an unreasonable majority maybe he exercises that power. Just a brainstorm.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Hmm I thought 2/3 no matter number of voters automatically passed it. And 50% a simple majority passed it.
If voting No and under 50% turn out then 2/3 would be required to reject the offer. Hoffa could impasse us if it is under 2/3 of less then 50% turn out which will likely be the case unfortunately.

542thruNthru

If voting No and under 50% turn out then 2/3 would be required to reject the offer. Hoffa could impasse us if it is under 2/3 of less then 50% turn out which will likely be the case unfortunately.

I believe it has to be the final offer for that to happen but you are correct with the 2/3 under 50%. Here is the language you are talking about that was posted on here by bubblehead.

Article 12 - Section 2(d) reads:

"Results of ratification or rejection
votes with respect to master agreements shall be determined
by all involved voting members on a cumulative
basis of all votes cast as follows:

(1) If at least one half of the members eligible to vote
cast valid ballots then a cumulative majority of
those voting in favor of the final offer shall result
in acceptance of such offer; and a cumulative majority
of those voting against acceptance of the final
offer shall authorize a strike without any additional
vote being necessary for such strike
authorization. A tie vote shall be resolved as provided
in Section 1(b)(l) of this Article.

(2) If less than half of the eligible memberscast valid
ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting
shall be required to reject such final offer and to
authorize a strike. The failure of such membership
to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as
herein provided shall require the negotiating committee
to accept such final offer or such additional
provisions as can be negotiated by it."

Just a simple majority is needed to reject the contract.
b

This is incorrect. Only if at least 50% vote. I believe last contract only about 25% voted.

opie

I believe it has to be the final offer for that to happen but you are correct with the 2/3 under 50%. Here is the language you are talking about that was posted on here by bubblehead.

Article 12 - Section 2(d) reads:

"Results of ratification or rejection
votes with respect to master agreements shall be determined
by all involved voting members on a cumulative
basis of all votes cast as follows:

(1) If at least one half of the members eligible to vote
cast valid ballots then a cumulative majority of
those voting in favor of the final offer shall result
in acceptance of such offer; and a cumulative majority
of those voting against acceptance of the final
offer shall authorize a strike without any additional
vote being necessary for such strike
authorization. A tie vote shall be resolved as provided
in Section 1(b)(l) of this Article.

(2) If less than half of the eligible memberscast valid
ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting
shall be required to reject such final offer and to
authorize a strike. The failure of such membership
to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as
herein provided shall require the negotiating committee
to accept such final offer or such additional
provisions as can be negotiated by it."

b

This is incorrect. Only if at least 50% vote. I believe last contract only about 25% voted.
This is based on a "last and final" offer. So only a majority is needed on this first vote.