Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I think the big reason I've lasted is my childhood. My father was a contractor and started us working at least 4 hours a day when we were 6 years old. I can remember reaching up to push the lawnmower. By the 6th grade it was at least 8. If we weren't in school we were working.

After we grew up he apologized for being so hard on us.

He just wanted to be sure that we could take care of ourselves and earn a living no matter what.

And he did us the greatest service, although we didn't think so at the time. But it has certainly paid off.

UPS isn't that bad for me physically because I was already used to long hours and hard work. But it took 10 years or so to get conditioned to the mental stress dished out by management. It's the mental punishment, directed at drivers without cause or reason that wears you down.

You'll have to learn the contract, don't believe management promises and file when they step over the line

watdaflock?

I'm healthy, active, and would want to work until 67. I'm in the interview process now, and keeping an eye on the strike. Any comments?
You'll be fine. Majority of the people who believe working at UPS is difficult or hard on the body are snowflakes, and were never that healthy in the first place.
You'll be fine. Just remember to work at a safe pace.

barnyard

KTM rider
Friday, I delivered to a house, guy I did not recognize was mowing the lawn. He shut the mower, said that he retired from a building to the west of my building. He said that he retired with 22 years of FT service at 64 years old. He said that he wanted to get to 67, but did not think his body could handle it.
Knowing what I know now, there is no way in hell I would start my 1st day here after 40.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
I have already started the downward cycle of my life. My mind and heart still feels young but my body is breaking down. If we have a hard night at work it is sometimes hard to even get out of bed. Years ago I would spring out of bed and played basketball all day until I had to work. Man time really goes by fast.

Desertchild

I started at the gateway at 47. It took some time to get used to the ramp but I love working the jets. You can work a different position everyday so it's not boring. It's really loud and chaotic but I like that about it. It's a gym & sauna without having to pay for it. Works for me but I'm old and senile

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Started in 1984 as friend/t driver at 27 years of age. Just had my fourth surgery last week. Both knees and ankle have had to be worked on. This job ain’t easy as you get older.

Maybe if feeders was an option I could last a little longer but I am afraid my body is too far gone after 34 years. However.... as bad as it is sometimes, not another job out there that offers what this one does as far as benefits. I would probably do it over again.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
I started at the gateway at 47. It took some time to get used to the ramp but I love working the jets. You can work a different position everyday so it's not boring. It's really loud and chaotic but I like that about it. It's a gym & sauna without having to pay for it. Works for me but I'm old and senile
What gateway you work at?

Heavy Package

I'm healthy, active, and would want to work until 67. I'm in the interview process now,

friend* It. Read a few forums on here and go for it if you want. I'm 41 with less than 5 yrs with the company, FT driver after starting out PT. If you have work ethic and can be mentally tough you'll be fine. I am out at 60 though, no exception. Going for 20 yrs with this company and it will be my second career.

Heavy Package

I'm healthy, active, and would want to work until 67. I'm in the interview process now, and keeping an eye on the strike. Any comments?

200.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Started in 1984 as friend/t driver at 27 years of age. Just had my fourth surgery last week. Both knees and ankle have had to be worked on. This job ain’t easy as you get older.

Maybe if feeders was an option I could last a little longer but I am afraid my body is too far gone after 34 years. However.... as bad as it is sometimes, not another job out there that offers what this one does as far as benefits. I would probably do it over again.

After 34 years why not get the hell out while you can still walk

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
After 34 years why not get the hell out while you can still walk

Just turned 61 a few months ago. Retirement pay is much better at 62 years old than taking a 30 or 35 and out retirement. Don't know if it is the same across the country but here it is two different retirement plans.

PT Car Washer

Just turned 61 a few months ago. Retirement pay is much better at 62 years old than taking a 30 or 35 and out retirement. Don't know if it is the same across the country but here it is two different retirement plans.
62+ and 40+ years seniority and I sure hope you are right whenever I decide to pull the plug. I am still here for the drama everyday.

UPSTeamster Pragmatist

The only serious answer you will get is from B.U.G. If your over 30 your crazy to even think about being a regular package driver. I started at 23 and consider it late. The smart guys started at 18.