Last. Best. Final.

Bennies are good that I can’t deny
Good? Don't know what you belt sups get when you pay your premiums, but TeamCare is better than almost any insurance you can get, Western/177 is even better. My dues are 27% of the cost of what family insurance would be for my wife, at 80/20, and she's an administrator at the hospital.

Bennies are "good" lol

TheDudeAbides92

Good? Don't know what you belt sups get when you pay your premiums, but TeamCare is better than almost any insurance you can get, Western/177 is even better. My dues are 27% of the cost of what family insurance would be for my wife, at 80/20, and she's an administrator at the hospital.

Bennies are "good" lol
Yeah I mean I’m 30 and healthy as six horses so I’d rather see more money in exchange, but they’re good

anonymous23456

Bennies are "good" lol
It's time to add PT Sups to TeamCare as well.

Undertow

How many drivers would work 11 a day if you started at 5am? :censored2: your 9.5 list, I'm working the sort and off by 1600-1800 every day.
I'd seriously consider that, but how many of us would ever get that choice?

I can remember some time back we had a guy get a doctor's letter authorizing he couldn't work longer than 8hrs and he was boasting about how he'd on his way home by 4PM only to be told the next day that his start time would be 12 noon the following week and he'd be assigned the latest pickups in the building.

I'd seriously consider that, but how many of us would ever get that choice?

I can remember some time back we had a guy get a doctor's letter authorizing he couldn't work longer than 8hrs and he was boasting about how he'd on his way home by 4PM only to be told the next day that his start time would be 12 noon the following week and he'd be assigned the latest pickups in the building.

Much of this would be in smaller buildings, I was just Tossing out a scenario.

Undertow

There already is a downturn in volume. And not all of it has to do with contract negotiations. Freight in general is hurting. And there is no crystal ball to predict the future.

If it was truly about new FT jobs and not a money issue, there could be a clause in the contract like in previous ones about creation of FT jobs based on economy, based on UPS volume. I know that would leave the door open for fudging, but to promise to create so many new FT jobs when you don't know now if they are needed or not, is ludicrous. Most of the PT jobs that could be combined into FT jobs have already been done for the 22.3. Sure, there are some, or maybe some split shifts, that can be created. But how many?

This, and a possible strike, better not be over future FT jobs, and not payrate or pension or PVD's.
Yeah unless many are willing to split up the shifts to get the full 8, there's not a whole lot to combine back to back where I am and even in that event it's gonna be most likely 7PM to 3:30AM. I've never gotten much indication among other drives that the issue of PVD's is the fill to fight and risk dying on. The amount hourlies would have to give up for the company to buy and rent enough trucks that are efficient enough to deliver out of for a mere 8 weeks out of the year would likely make it a non-starter right off the bat.

I'm not as concerned about a downturn in volume at present, especially when it's still too much for all of us to get done even without peak vacation but it's possible many areas outside of where I am aren't experiencing that scenario.

Undertow

Much of this would be in smaller buildings, I was just Tossing out a scenario.
There was talk in my building of doing away with the EAM runs and bidding them out to FT drivers so that could possibly create a few of those opportunities. Many of the NDA drop box PU routes were cut here awhile back I think in part due to continuous staffing shortages on the sort shift in the building operating at the same evening hours those guys were on the road and they needed every last person they could get in there.

It's more common than not these days for drivers to receive the message on the DIAD at 530PM of "Extra work inside available tonite. Please see So-And-So if interested..."

ManInBrown

We don't know if he is a chomp or a sucker nobody knows what ups has offered or what we asked for, until we know the numbers we can't say either way
We are never going to see the numbers until UPS puts forth an acceptable offer or if they are leaked. If things stay as is we are never going to know what they offered.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There already is a downturn in volume. And not all of it has to do with contract negotiations. Freight in general is hurting. And there is no crystal ball to predict the future.
If you want to do a fair comparison to see whether there is truly a downturn in volume, you need to start in 2018 and cut out 2020 and 2021 (COVID years) completely, then start back up in mid-2022.

Do that and I think you will see the volume has more "leveled off" to realistic levels and that UPS' overall volume during this period is up significantly, fueled by continuing growth in e-commerce.

What's taking place now is a natural correction to artificial stimulus.

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

If you want to do a fair comparison to see whether there is truly a downturn in volume, you need to start in 2018 and cut out 2020 and 2021 (COVID years) completely, then start back up in mid-2022.

Do that and I think you will see the volume has more "leveled off" to realistic levels and that UPS' overall volume during this period is up significantly, fueled by continuing growth in e-commerce.

What's taking place now is a natural correction to artificial stimulus.

I might agree. But they hired thousands to move the COVID Volume. Where do these employees go now that the volume has leveled off to slightly above pre COVID levels?

Day sorts are shutting down due to lack of volume. 22.4’s are being laid off. Feeder jobs are being eliminated. Let’s worry about getting them back to work before we go demanding thousands of new FT jobs for PTers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I might agree. But they hired thousands to move the COVID Volume. Where do these employees go now that the volume has leveled off to slightly above pre COVID levels?

Day sorts are shutting down due to lack of volume. 22.4’s are being laid off. Feeder jobs are being eliminated. Let’s worry about getting them back to work before we go demanding thousands of new FT jobs for PTers.
How many people are waiting to retire until they see what happens with the pension?

Aside from that effect, in my region, these drivers will have the ability to bump into the sorts (or take a layoff) until they are recalled.

....and they could also bid any newly created full-time jobs too.

I see no downside to creating more full-time jobs, aside from there being less part-time jobs?

Thebrownblob

How many people are waiting to retire until they see what happens with the pension?

Aside from that effect, in my region, these drivers will have the ability to bump into the sorts (or take a layoff) until they are recalled.

....and they could also bid any newly created full-time jobs too.

I see no downside to creating more full-time jobs, aside from there being less part-time jobs?
There is a mountain of drivers waiting on this contract to retire.