Leaving union

upsohio

I’m probably about as pro labor as they come, and I certainly don’t want to get rid of the union. With that being said we’re in serious trouble here. We have an anti-union president, anti-union Supreme Court, and an anti-union legislature. Last I saw only 6% of the private sector is unionized. With more and more states headed toward right to work, we Definitely don’t need :censored2: contracts shoved down our throats.

When people are pissed and say they want to leave the union, I don’t agree with their thinking, however my blood is boiling right now, so it’s very hard for me to blame them for feeling that way.

I’m probably about as pro labor as they come, and I certainly don’t want to get rid of the union. With that being said we’re in serious trouble here. We have an anti-union president, anti-union Supreme Court, and an anti-union legislature. Last I saw only 6% of the private sector is unionized. With more and more states headed toward right to work, we Definitely don’t need :censored2: contracts shoved down our throats.

When people are :censored2: and say they want to leave the union, I don’t agree with their thinking, however my blood is boiling right now, so it’s very hard for me to blame them for feeling that way.
Do you post once every 5 years at contract time?

Time for change

upsohio- I am all for unions too and want to be a union member , I just think the IBT is corrupt and not negotiating with all their members in mind, instead are looking strictly for more dues and payments. The chickens are about to come home to roost though.

Time for change

I never understood why they pay drivers to load trucks. Just pay a fair and decent wage and part timers would show up and take more pride in their job. Makes no sense, they are addressing some of those issues but doing it while screwing current part timers that put years of faithful service in. I’m all for the bump in starting pay, all we ask is the part timers that put in their time get the bump too.

upsohio

Gumby, before the last couple of days I haven’t posted since 2009. Are you implying that everyone who doesn’t regularly post on “Brown Cafe” is anti-union?
I’m posting now because this is the most pathetic excuse for a contract I’ve ever seen and I think in the long run it’s going to be worse the what most no voters even think.

Time for change

Yea you have to post tons on the good ol boys club brown cafe or you are anti union. I read occasionally in the past, never posted, mostly went on with my life and caring for my daughters. As you can tell, this contract has me very upset.

Box Ox

I just think the IBT is corrupt and not negotiating with all their members in mind

Some people might roll their eyes at talk of IBT corruption, but Company payoffs to IBT officials are a real thing. And there's a very good chance it could have a lot to do with current Contract negotiations. See:

Disgraced, ousted Teamster VP Says “Vote Yes” on UPS Deal

Guy was suspended from all IBT positions for taking payoffs and is pushing very hard for the Contract. He might even be posting here on BC.

By the way, I've been posting TDU stuff since last night. I've got absolutely nothing to do with TDU. Just been checking their Facebook posts since UPS Rising started hiding user comments.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
upsohio- I am all for unions too and want to be a union member , I just think the IBT is corrupt and not negotiating with all their members in mind, instead are looking strictly for more dues and payments. The chickens are about to come home to roost though.
Problem with your logic, though, is that if you think this company is going to give you a single dime more than they want to, you are mistaken. It is the company, not the union, that is paying you sub par wages. I agree part timers are getting the shaft. You may be unhappy with the union leadership, but WE are the union. You need to focus your energy on changing the union leadership, not on abandoning the ship. Vote no on the current proposal to force them back to the table. If you don't get the results you want, vote them out.

In the end, as bad as the job is with the union in place, it would be exponentially worse without it. And threatening full timers on this board with what you think will hurt their penions is not going to get you their support. The company funds the pension, not dues, so you not paying dues means zero to the pension.

The union has done its research. Historically, part timers don't vote. Those that do, mostly vote yes. Reason, they don't want a strike, need the steady income and bennies. There are way more part timers than full timers. The reason part time wages are where they are is really because of part timers lack of voting and simply voting yes for the last few decades.

Time for change

Dues may not fund full time pensions but if you think dues and the overall health of the union won’t impact that pension, I think you are very mistaken.