Making the switch to express?

MAKAVELI

The reason doesn't have to be valid. You can legally be fired for any reason (and for no reason at all) with the exceptions being the reasons you listed.
Not true and you know it. FedEx has its discipline and gft policy for a reason. It limits their liability for wrongful termination lawsuits.

floridays

I never said differently. OP asked for differences between Ground and Express, he’s the only one that knows what benefits he gets at his Ground contractor. We don’t, commenting on them is only a demonstration of ignorance. Paid time off is required by law in many localities, paid holidays are common among contractors, many contractors offer health benefits these days. Listing differences in benefits between the organizations can only be done by the OP, and if he can’t figure out that aspect himself he’s in trouble.
I was simply responding to the envelope part.

floridays

Van, the number of contractors who offer a complete, employer paid benefits package are a tiny minority. Take a look at the job boards and the number of contractors begging for help and you'll see that they all pay about the same and has increased little if any in recent years. Per diems and no mention whatsoever regarding an employer funded health and retirement plan because none exists. Problem with per diems is that no matter if you work 40 hours a week or 60 hours it all pays the same and a person gets tired of that after awhile.
Now if you're a kid just starting out with no in demand job skills and no assets that need protected or you need a transitional bridge job just something to tide you over until a real job comes your way working for a contractor would be alright for awhile but it's still temporary employment in nature and cannot be perceived as anything other than that because that's exactly how Ground sees it and coping successfully with an avalanche of turnover is just one of the headaches of being a contractor.......but that's what they signed on for . Nobody needs to feel sorry for them because they knew what they were getting into.
Not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl, but research what a per diem is.

floridays

You guys just fail to understand the wide variety of compensation a driver can earn from different contractors. They’re all different companies. Acting like they all pay the same with the same benefits just demonstrates your ignorance.
I want to go to work for you tomorrow, exactly what is my offer? Cut the crap, what is the offering?

Mutineer

Not for any reason. The reason has to be a valid reason and not discriminatory. Whatever reason an employer decides to terminate that reason has to be factual and be able to be proven or risk a lawsuit.
California law protects individuals from illegal discrimination by employers based on the following:

• Race, color
  • Ancestry, national origin
  • Religion, creed
  • Age (over 40)
  • Disability, mental and physical
  • Sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions)
  • Sexual orientation
  • Gender identity, gender expression
  • Medical condition
  • Genetic information
  • Marital status
  • Military and veteran status

Um. Most if not all of that list is Federal. Which supercedes everything, anyways. Whether states like it or not.

The fact of the matter remains, in an at will state, you can be shown the door without any reason.

If challenged, any reason, within the law will suffice.

Former disgruntled employee: "They fired me cuz I'm a divorced, transgender, pregnant, multiracial, wounded veteran, Devil worshiper with a lazy eye. Hail Satan!"

Former employer: "Nope, things just weren't working out. And one minute late to work a week or so ago, too. See the time card? Not that I needed to prove that, anyways."

End of story. Unless lawyers get involved and discrimination can be proven. And then I will want to marry that lunatic. Cuz he/she/it is gonna be rich!

MAKAVELI

Um. Most if not all of that list is Federal. Which supercedes everything, anyways. Whether states like it or not.

The fact of the matter remains, in an at will state, you can be shown the door without any reason.

If challenged, any reason, within the law will suffice.

Former disgruntled employee: "They fired me cuz I'm a divorced, transgender, pregnant, multiracial, wounded veteran, Devil worshiper with a lazy eye. Hail Satan!"

Former employer: "Nope, things just weren't working out. And one minute late to work a week or so ago, too. See the time card? Not that I needed to prove that, anyways."

End of story. Unless lawyers get involved and discrimination can be proven. And then I will want to marry that lunatic. Cuz he/she/it is gonna be rich!
#Lawsuit.

floridays

You are incorrect.
Actually, I am not, unless a person works under a labor contract. We weren't addressing labor contracts, so I am correct. Silence would be golden also in this instance as well. Some states allow greater labor protections, state law will dictate.

MAKAVELI

Actually, I am not, unless a person works under a labor contract. We weren't addressing labor contracts, so I am correct. Silence would be golden also in this instance as well. Some states allow greater labor protections, state law will dictate.
You are not as Cali has some of the most labor friendly laws in the nation.

bacha29

Not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl, but research what a per diem is.
Per diem is Latin for per day. Most contractors pay their employees a flat rate per day of work. If you don't go out and run that route that day you don't collect your per diem that day. On the other hand some contractors pay on a per stop basis

floridays

Per diem is Latin for per day. Most contractors pay their employees a flat rate per day of work. If you don't go out and run that route that day you don't collect your per diem that day. On the other hand some contractors pay on a per stop basis
I know what per diem is, you don't. Say thank you to me next time you don't misuse the term.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You are not as Cali has some of the most labor friendly laws in the nation.
According to the California Labor Code, California is an Aat-will@ employment state. Under the at-will presumption, a Californiaemployer, absent an agreement or statutory or public policy exception to the contrary, may terminate an employee for any reason at any time.

floridays

According to the California Labor Code, California is an Aat-will@ employment state. Under the at-will presumption, a Californiaemployer, absent an agreement or statutory or public policy exception to the contrary, may terminate an employee for any reason at any time.
Thanks for the research.